For those who stalk, as opposed to, or in addition to, waitlisting

jodybird511

DIS Veteran
How do you do it? Do you just check every day? Multiple times per day? Same time every day? I'm just curious. Currently have a waitlist and have checked periodically on my own, of course, with no luck. Just wondering about others' strategies?

Just keep hitting "update" on your search as it changes every time someone cancels... If you are flexible you can often grab a couple nights and then add on or do a split stay. About 4 weeks ago my DIL asked for a 4 night stay for my son's birthday in early March. I immediately found a SSR Preferred Studio for their dates - awesome! Last week she called and said Poly was available...I got on the phone and there were 3 studios, then only 2 (within 10 seconds) and I had one. The other was gone minutes later... It is a resort they hadn't yet stayed in. Good luck!!

It depends. When I really am trying to change something, I honestly have checked every hour or so because sometimes, while I don’t see the room I have a waitlist for, there are times that other options show up that are better than what I have,

Just last night, I ended up grabbing a SV 1 bedroom at RIV It was my 5th time checking yesterday.

I had a one night waitlist that I recently fulfilled by modifying. I had tried a few times before it worked.

If I suspect walking I will check right at 8 as walkers move past. While you don’t need to change a walk at 8 am it seems some people do. I was able to get an AKV CL studio this way. They would pop up just after the 11 month window at 8 am. I would also check periodically throughout the day if I suspect walking just in case.

Really, @Jperiod?? This actually exists?

I use it too. It isn’t an approved DIS business, so we can’t post the name of it nor the web address. If you do a google search, I’m sure you can find it. You have to pay to get text alerts. It’s well worth it IMO since we can only have 2 WLs going at a time and usually want to check multiple options.

I use it too. It isn’t an approved DIS business, so we can’t post the name of it nor the web address. If you do a google search, I’m sure you can find it. You have to pay to get text alerts. It’s well worth it IMO since we can only have 2 WLs going at a time and usually want to check multiple options.

I agree, I wish there was a way to enter multiple dates, resorts and sizes. I'm often willing to take the first available, but instead I craft my WL to be what has the highest chance of matching. Timeshare trading companies like RCI and II allow multiple searches, not sure why DVC doesn't.

I usually check when I get up (around 7 am) to see what's going on... then I check again just after 8 am in case anyone changed or walked something interesting. Then I check later in the day when I have time. I have always had success with this. I just snagged a 4 night BWV standard view studio stay after the 7 month mark by being diligent. I got it in 2, 2 night segments, but now they are linked into one reservation. Every time I have waitlisted, I have been able to get what I want... not through the waitlist but by stalking.

I agree, I wish there was a way to enter multiple dates, resorts and sizes. I'm often willing to take the first available, but instead I craft my WL to be what has the highest chance of matching. Timeshare trading companies like RCI and II allow multiple searches, not sure why DVC doesn't.

We decided to do a split stay in June. I booked 2 nights in a P/G 1BR at BWV. I had a WL for 2 nights in a SV 1BR at BWV. I got the text that the first night, a MM night at EP, had become available in a SV but not the next night. :confused3 Since my WL was for 2 nights, it didn’t match. :( I grabbed the single night, and I put in a new WL for the following night which still hasn’t come through. I’m very impatient, so waiting on the WL to come through or to get an alert is killing me. Had we decided on the split stay a few weeks before, I could’ve grabbed that second night as it’s only been unavailable for 2 weeks. :sad2:

ETA: Every other EP 1BR is available June 30th except SV at BWV. Both views at RIV, the other two views at BWV, and BCV 1BR. It’s maddening! I know BWV SV is popular, but so are some of those other categories. I need to go and occupy myself. :rolleyes:

I check every time I have a free minute. That can be 30 times a day or 2 times a day depending on the day. The other day I was obsessively checking for a standard view poly studio for July 4th and 5th (I had already snagged BLT for July 1- 4). All of a sudden a LV poly studio for the 4th & 5th popped up so I jumped on them! We had started out with all nights in an OKW near HH studio.
I think stalking is fun... especially when you find something!

I check a few times a day. Today was the first time a waitlist came through before my stalking found it.

I’m in the stalking phase again. Need one night, may 9th. Either add on Bwv standard studio (to my existing reservation) or Hilton head studio to drive home on that night. I have HH for Sunday May 10th and holding OKW for May 9. I know, sounds strange.

I use a service that watches for the dates/unit I want and texts me when it's available, as well as the waitlist.
I had no idea such a service existed. I'm gonna go find it and sign up. Thanks for posting about it!

Last edited:
Now just don’t setup a search for the same times that I am looking. :-)

Curious...from the time you get the text, until you go in and book, have you ever had the room not still be there?

Have you been successful if you couldn’t book quickly after the text?

Curious...from the time you get the text, until you go in and book, have you ever had the room not still be there?

Have you been successful if you couldn’t book quickly after the text?

If it is a “hard to get” room, then they go quickly. You’ll need to book pretty soon after the text, usually within 10 minutes. If it’s a regular room you’ve been watching, you usually have more time. I’ve booked MANY rooms because of those texts. I don’t know that I ever “missed a room” I was watching like a hawk. I’ve seen some go before I actually logged in to check on them, but they ended up not being rooms I wanted which explains the lag in checking. I almost always have my phone on me (not a good thing), so I can usually book quickly. The only time I cannot is when the text comes in the middle of the night. My phone is silenced when I sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter