Format

manning

Just for that I have requested it
Is there any reason to shoot RAW and JPEG?

If there isn't I will shoot RAW only.

Because of the file size of RAW, having the JPEG can be useful for quick proofing before processing, or if you need to send/post something soon after shooting. Basic file viewers won't always read RAW, but no problem with JPEG. If you dont plan on doing post-processing, some people will just use the JPEG for display or storage (again - smaller file size). Outside of that though there's not much reason to shoot anything other than RAW. Downsides to shooting both include taking up more memory per shot as well as possible impact on burst speed.

I personally shoot both - mostly for quick proofing. I rarely have any use for the JPEGs though - just personal preference to pick my better shots and get an idea of what I have before starting my workflow.

all comes down to personal work flow, forme its, any work or something that might need more fixing always shoot RAW, and for personal stuff, holidays pics etc i shoot JPEG, rarely i feel the need to shoot both, but try both and see what works. there is lots of debate all over the internet over what you should do etc, but IMO its a personal and what works for you. if you shoot RAW for everythng you will find you are eating through memory very quickly. HTH

For my first big trip with a dSLR I took photos in both jpeg and raw. I wanted my once-in-a-lifetime two-week trip to Seattle, Olympic NP and Mt. Rainier pics to be a sure thing (if there is such a critter....) and definitely didn't trust my post-processing skills yet.

Eight years later I shoot everything in raw and haven't looked back. I found that once I got over that big Lightroom learning curve I really like post-processing and I wish my phone took raw as well!

Good memory cards are relatively cheap and even Lightroom CC has a mobile app. And both ShadeDK and jamez2014 make valid points about deciding based on what you shoot, what camera mode you shoot in (i.e. Manual) and your work flow.

Is there any reason to shoot RAW and JPEG?

If there isn't I will shoot RAW only.

When you shoot raw that file actually includes a small jpg of the photo, that's what you see on the camera's LCD and when using a raw viewer. When I transfer pics to a cell phone with bluetooth that small jpg gets copied and transferred. I usually do some processing on my photos so for me there isn't good reason to shoot jpeg. And my cell phone (Galaxy S7) can shoot in raw (DNG)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

The benefit of having both.... you get what the camera recommends in JPG. You can try to do better after tinkering with the RAW. Some will be successful.... some will not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter