Fort Wilderness (and general camping) Etiquette

team bradfield, I'm glad y'all are okay.

Do you have a fifth wheel/TT? If so, was your tow vehicle gone while it happened?
I was telling my dh about what happened when you had originally posted. He and I wondered if there aren't opportunistic criminals that prey on the campground and scout for campers that are in the parks. We were discussing how much we get in our truck and leave our campsite while camping in our home state. It's very obvious we're gone. We were trying to figure out ways to prevent it.

Wondering if people make their way into the Fort with "we're going to eat" or "we're going to the campfire" and then set out to simply steal bikes and ride them out or take whatever they can from those that are enjoying the parks. I think the fact that it's Disney gives people a false sense of security, and I'm sure thieves prey on that.
Also, did you tell us you didn't make a police report? I can't recall if you did or not. It does make me wonder if this isn't common, but if there is no police report then "it didn't happen."

We try to be the kind of campers that we would like to be next to. We always travel with our dog, a few years ago we were in 1700 in January and one of the regulars was next to us. We met him and chatted a few times. About a week into our stay he was surprised that we had a dog. Somehow he hadnt seen her yet. She very rarely barks and is quite friendly.

team bradfield, I'm glad y'all are okay.

Do you have a fifth wheel/TT? If so, was your tow vehicle gone while it happened?
I was telling my dh about what happened when you had originally posted. He and I wondered if there aren't opportunistic criminals that prey on the campground and scout for campers that are in the parks. We were discussing how much we get in our truck and leave our campsite while camping in our home state. It's very obvious we're gone. We were trying to figure out ways to prevent it.

Wondering if people make their way into the Fort with "we're going to eat" or "we're going to the campfire" and then set out to simply steal bikes and ride them out or take whatever they can from those that are enjoying the parks. I think the fact that it's Disney gives people a false sense of security, and I'm sure thieves prey on that.
Also, did you tell us you didn't make a police report? I can't recall if you did or not. It does make me wonder if this isn't common, but if there is no police report then "it didn't happen."

no police report, we didn't notice the damage to the door for a couple days, we have 2 doors on our fifth wheel and seldom use that door. we had returned to the fort after dark and the dog "pushed" the door open to greet us, i assumed one of the kids didn't shut it tight. When we noticed the pry marks and bent door frame, we put 2 and 2 together. I think they were breaking in for the truck keys. I keep them on us now.

Great list. I will just add a few.

Bikes: If you will be riding at night, please make sure to have lights.

I just want to point out that bicycles and golf carts have to follow all laws that automobiles do in the state of Florida.

Bicycles in particular have to have front and rear lights for riding at night. Both bikes and golf carts must be rode/driven in the same direction as automobile traffic.

Lastly, you can and will get arrested for DWI on both a bike or a golf cart in Florida so please don't think that just because you are not in a car that you are exempt from drunk driving.

I saw a lot of people riding bikes after dark with zero lights on. Thats living dangerously in my book. No matter how diligent a driver is theres a lot going on at the Fort. Most places are lit to some degree but not all.

we were shocked that one of our neighbors is 700 loop had a "home made" golf cart, no lights at all and running at night

Since I grew up camping, I was taught camping etiquette, and common courtesy, by my parents. I, in turn, taught the same to my kids and now trying to pass on to my grandchildren.

There are lots of newbies to camping nowadays, with RVs being more popular than ever. And at Disney especially, people at the Fort may have never camped before and are doing so to do Disney on a budget. Keeping those things in mind I try to cut people 'some' slack. My biggest pet peeve at the Fort is people who partially block the road with excess vehicles. I've never seen parents allowing their children to harass the wildlife, but I would have a huge problem with that.

The one thing I see mentioned that I would never complain about is children being loud. They are usually up early, excited about being there, and having them ride bikes around the loops, hollering to each other in the early mornings is just the cost of camping in a family friendly environment. Kids so the same at state parks. We are regular campers, and even though I like to sleep in, I would never think of children playing as rudeness. I've never heard kids ( over 50 years of regular camping experience) at night, after quiet hours. I'm sure it happens sometimes, in some place, but I haven't personally experienced that. Anyone being loud after quiet hours, would be considered at breach of etiquette to me. But, mornings (even early) and daytime, it's just to be expected.

The only other thing I'm not a fan of is big rigs that leave lights on all night, all around their rig. Never been a problem at the Fort because we stay in the tent/pop-up loops. At one state park, I have once asked politely if the neighbors would mind turning off the lights on the back side of their rig, as we stay in a pop-up. They were super nice and apologetic about it. They turned them off immediately, and I could tell that they never even realized how it effected our site. I'd bet those people have been more thoughtful about their lights since then. Sometimes all it takes is to ask.

Tallis, I agree. I've never thought the sounds of children playing at campgrounds could be considered "rude." I enjoy hearing kids play outside (during the day); it's usually happy sounds. It is seldom a volume that is bothersome.
I have heard of people experiencing children throwing balls against their campers, or up and screaming & running feral late at night, or running through others' campsites. THAT is rude.
Just playing around the loop, even in the morning, is normal and healthy.

Tallis, I agree. I've never thought the sounds of children playing at campgrounds could be considered "rude." I enjoy hearing kids play outside (during the day); it's usually happy sounds. It is seldom a volume that is bothersome.
I have heard of people experiencing children throwing balls against their campers, or up and screaming & running feral late at night, or running through others' campsites. THAT is rude.
Just playing around the loop, even in the morning, is normal and healthy.
I watched the worst father today. He told his son to stand outside Trails End and I watched him go in the take out door, go to the buffet, fill his pockets with stolen food and walk out, smiling and telling his son it was ok. What is this world coming to.

I watched the worst father today. He told his son to stand outside Trails End and I watched him go in the take out door, go to the buffet, fill his pockets with stolen food and walk out, smiling and telling his son it was ok. What is this world coming to.
That's horrible. Unfortunately, that behavior is getting more and more common.

How did he fill his pockets with stolen food? I have a mental picture of someone stuffing chicken in their pants.

Not only is this horrible, it is just gross! Can't imagine eating food that has been stored in my pockets...nothing like a little pocket crud to add some flavor :crazy2:.

I would have LOUDLY asked him if I could pay for his meal.

I watched the worst father today. He told his son to stand outside Trails End and I watched him go in the take out door, go to the buffet, fill his pockets with stolen food and walk out,
We witnessed similar behaviour in Crockett's Tavern. Male adults sitting at the far end of the bar enjoying their drinks, wives and numerous children behind them on chairs and the floor, and the women went to the buffett and brought back enough food to feed everyone in their group. The bartender was flabbergasted but didn't say anything I guess because they were buying drinks. We shouldn't "assume" but there were plenty of open tables for them to occupy if they were interested in dining as a family. Really is sad to see this type of behaviour at the Fort.

We stayed at a fishing camp, once. The manager held drunk karaoke on Friday and Saturday nights. It was sing until you pass out. Which was about 3am. At 4am the tournament fishermen came screaming in, in their trucks. At 5am they went screaming across the lake in their boats.

I think Disney should have a "camping etiquette class" and I should teach it. Subjects could include, bringing enough cold beverages for everyone, Hot dogs and their importance in camping, napping 101, napping 102, napping 103, no cutting through others sites, pick up any poo that you are responsible for creating. Just a few ideas for classes. I think we could even come up with special t-shirts. Who's with me ?

You forgot naping 104...... now im thinking your not the one to lead the class!

I think Disney should have a "camping etiquette class" and I should teach it. Subjects could include, bringing enough cold beverages for everyone, Hot dogs and their importance in camping, napping 101, napping 102, napping 103, no cutting through others sites, pick up any poo that you are responsible for creating. Just a few ideas for classes. I think we could even come up with special t-shirts. Who's with me ?

I am a proud poop-picker-upper of my three dogs, but there are better options for disposing of poop that I create than picking it up. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!