"Free" fridge for dietary restrictions?

sanapunk

<font color=blue>Kahtkateer<br><font color=red>Me
Does anyone know if the value resorts are accomodating to people with special diets for the free fridge? I was unable to get in on a fridge swap since my trip was planned last minute, and am a vegan. I know the free fridges are for people who need them for medication but was just wondering if anyone with food allergies or dietary restrictions have had luck getting them too?

I doubt it. Disney has vegan options all over the parks so you don't really have to have anything kept cold in your room. Medicines are much different and a person's life could depend on making sure the medicines are treated correctly. And of course, the only resorts without fridges already in the room are the values so if you aren't staying at All Stars or Pop Century, you don't have anything to worry about anyway.

I'm staying at Pop. I know they are very accomodating to people with all different kinds of allergies and diets, but the only milk alternative they have is soy and I cannot have it, so I was just wondering for keeping some almond milk and supplements in the fridge. Thanks for your response.

There's a thread on the Bargain Board that says that the Values are in the process of getting fridges installed. There was some corroboration from a recent All-Stars guest who said his/her room had a new fridge in it that they hadn't asked for and weren't charged for.

I looked into this back when we were going a couple of years ago when my husband was on a medication that needed to be refrigerated. He ended up changing medicines before we left so it wasn't an issue. But I remember it being pretty specific. I could be wrong, but I think it has to be a medical necessity. I'm not sure if allergies are covered in that, as there are often other options (water or juice instead of milk). But I could be totally wrong...I would be interested to know the answer to this as well.

It's hard being vegan or vegetarian, and going on vacation, I bet. My sister-in-law went with us one year, and she's vegetarian. She really looked at the menus on allears.net and had to plan her vacation eating out ahead of time so that she knew where to find stuff that she could eat.

There's a thread on the Bargain Board that says that the Values are in the process of getting fridges installed. There was some corroboration from a recent All-Stars guest who said his/her room had a new fridge in it that they hadn't asked for and weren't charged for.

That would be awesome. I would imagine that most people rent them anyway, and that it's a huge hassle taking all of the fridges back and forth all day long. I would wonder if they don't make enough money off of the fridge rentals to make it worth their while to do all of the extra work. With kids, it's really hard to go without one all week. We really need incidentals like milk and yogurt and cheese to keep the kids happy and healthy! :thumbsup2

It will be great if the rumor is true! The fridge could have been a rented one that was not yet picked up - happens all the time and the new guests are not charged.:thumbsup2

I'm staying at Pop. I know they are very accomodating to people with all different kinds of allergies and diets, but the only milk alternative they have is soy and I cannot have it, so I was just wondering for keeping some almond milk and supplements in the fridge. Thanks for your response.

:wave:

The fridge for no charge is strictly for medical purposes. The king accessible rooms do have the small medical fridge in the room.

Could you use the ice bucket to keep a few small items cold?

I'll be arriving at pop in less than 12 hours, and if the rumors are true and the fridges are included now, ill be thrilled. If not oh well, i'll pay the price for it. I did request a king room so there is also the chance of landing an accessable one too, since pop is pretty booked right now. I've tried the ice bucket in the past but by morning everything is just drowning in cold water :/ Thanks for everyone's comments!

My sister and I both have a condition that forces us to space out our calorie intake throughout the day and were able to get a fridge for free for medical reasons other than medicine. We were on the dining plan and no way could we eat that much food at once, but we needed to eat that much more often. So it's possible to get one for diet reasons.

The fridge swap I'm running is available from Sept. 7- Sept. 11.

There's a link in my signature!

Does anyone know if the value resorts are accomodating to people with special diets for the free fridge? I was unable to get in on a fridge swap since my trip was planned last minute, and am a vegan. I know the free fridges are for people who need them for medication but was just wondering if anyone with food allergies or dietary restrictions have had luck getting them too?

We are getting one at POP for no charge. Ours IS medical need- we have ridiculous food allergies and we are on 5-6 pills, 4x per day and we have to take them with yogurt or milk. No meat, no soy, no gluten, no nuts/seeds.

If Disney WON'T allow you to have a fridge at no charge, pack a soft-sided cooler and keep refilling it with ice. That should work to keep your almond milk cold.

Also, if you need a refrigerator for medical reasons, you may only get one of the shoebox size ones and not the dorm sized refrigerators like you rent.

We are getting one at POP for no charge. Ours IS medical need- we have ridiculous food allergies and we are on 5-6 pills, 4x per day and we have to take them with yogurt or milk. No meat, no soy, no gluten, no nuts/seeds.

If Disney WON'T allow you to have a fridge at no charge, pack a soft-sided cooler and keep refilling it with ice. That should work to keep your almond milk cold.

This thread is really helpful. I was a bit shy of going to a Disney Resort further afield than Paris (I live in England) because I and my eldest son have gluten and lactose intolerances.

I wouldn't be looking for a fridge, just understanding and some lactose-free products to buy without too much inconvenience.

Anyway, Florida here i come, I think!!

They thought I had IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but this YouTube video and a second opinion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V81uwYDa0Q from a dietician as opposed to a doctor sorted it out for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter