Frontier - PHL to MCO

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
My dad recently moved to Florida so will be traveling to MCO more often. Any feedback on Frontier? How are they? On time? Any problems?

if u want on time and no problems, book American Airlines. Frontier is a discount airline.

Yes, I realize that. Is it any worse than Southwest? Spirit? Air Tran? Looking for options as we will be traveling more often, and sometimes just a long weekend.

Flown this itinerary a couple times--on time all except once was delayed at Mco a couple hours. Planes are usually nice, no wifi but the last plane we had was literally brand new (we were the first flight). I dislike their baggage fees and cost for beverages but we book this when southwest is too $$

I think Frontier has a club you can join for cheaper flights and also I think you get other perks. If you will fly them often it might be worth looking into. I like that they have a different animal on each plane. small details lol

I've had problems and delays on American (and EVERY legacy airline).

Every airline has them. Nothing you can do about it. Honestly its all about cost for me. I am not loyal to any airline though I am partial to Virgin American or JetBlue but usually can't find prices that I find worth flying to MCO with them.

Every airline has them. Nothing you can do about it. Honestly its all about cost for me. I am not loyal to any airline though I am partial to Virgin American or JetBlue but usually can't find prices that I find worth flying to MCO with them.

Surely. Was just explaining to the previous poster.

Also not sure of your location but keep an eye on BWI (Baltimore) and Atlantic city for price comparisons. I find BWI has tons of southwest to MCO compared to philly and occasionally find great rates on spirit out of AC. Frontier also flys out of Trenton mercer if cost is priority this can save some $$

I live in Florida and fly into Trenton Airport from MCO on Frontier. I prefer to fly Southwest into Newark but their prices haven't been very reasonable lately. Just keep in mind that Frontier charges extra for everything (when comparing prices). I try to fly early in the day (less chance of delays). Definitely join the Discount Den.

I booked my first Frontier flight for Dec. Non stop PVD to MCO were only $20 each way. In order to get that deal, I needed to be a Den Member for $50. Total cost for the 3 of us came to $170 ($120 for the plane tickets and $50 for den membership). I can not think of anyway to Orlando for that price. Then I read the reviews, holy crap I was scared. Lets say, people hate Frontier. Given everything that I have read, I am going to give this a whirl anyway. I know they charge for bags even carry on. I am flying for only 4 days, I can fit everything I need in a small personal item. I know they charge for drinks, no biggie to me. They charge for seat selection otherwise you get what they give you. Well as long as I have a seat, I dont care where I sit. I am going in this with an open mind. Yes, they have delays too, but what airline doesn't? I have been watching the flight status daily on their website and flights are usually within 30 minutes of estimated arrival. I am not expecting first class service from a budget airline. If something goes wrong, I will not be out a fortune. Like I said, I am keeping open mind.

The only issue I have with frontier is their limited schedule. They don't have many out of phl (like 2-3/day) and if a flight is canceled for any reason, you may have to spend the night before another flight is available. They also don't have that relationship with other airlines. Otherwise, I think they are fine for what you pay for.

I fly Frontier almost exclusively as of the past several years. Mostly from PHL, but occasionally from Trenton as well. I usually choose PHL becuase they have about 4 daily flights to and from Orlando while Trenton only has one or two. I've had nothing but great experiences so far and will be using them again next month.

I have paid as little as $50RT and no more than $100RT which allows me to travel more often. Staff and customer service have been excellent. Only one minor delay so far due to weather, seats aren't exactly comfy, but I don't think they are that much worse than any other airline I've used. Definitely know the fees ahead of time. I travel with just a free personal item most of the time and avoid the baggage fees. When all 5 of us travel we consolidate and check just one bag as well. You can pay to pick your seat but you don't have to. I skipped it this time around so fingers crossed I won't regret it. Most reports seem to indicate people are still sat together even when they don't pay to choose.

PHL is a hub for American. If a flight is cancelled they most likely have another one heading to MCO shortly. That is the complaint about Frontier. If they cancel they have less options for getting you on the next flight.

The problem with these discount airlines (Frontier, Allegient, Spirit) is when there is a delay or cancellation. The generally don't have enough flights in a day to accommodate people that had their flights cancelled. So you could wait a day or 2 or 3 before you actually leave. This is pretty rare but is the worst thing about airlines with few flights.

BWI is great for Southwest which I no longer consider a discount airline.

I agree, Southwest isn't really one of the "discount" airlines anymore. However, they do generally offer a fair number of flights per day, depending on airport, and they still have the "2 bags checked free" policy. So if you need to check bags, you could compare the cost of a discount airline plus the additional bag fee against fares from southwest. I do like the one poster's suggestion to consolidate into one bag if possible, thus lessening the amount of bag fees.

I travel with just a free personal item most of the time and avoid the baggage fees. on't regret it. Most reports seem to indicate people are still sat together even when they don't pay to choose.
What do use for your free personal item? Do you go with their size restrictions or is there an inch or so wiggle room?

We fly out of PHL. It's so close to our house (35 minutes) that it's hard to fly out of another airport.

When we go to MCO we use Southwest 85% of the time; American the other 15%. The number of direct flights Southwest offers stinks, but the times usually work with our schedule.

we have flown frontier 2 times now to MCO from CVG had no problems and great customer service by all the employes and flight crew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!