Frustrated with DVC and RCI customer service

wide awake

<font color=darkgreen>Nuts are good<br><font color
I booked a room in Cozumel through RCI, using DVC points. I have been trying for two weeks to pay the all inclusive fees and cannot reach anyone at DVC or RCI that can help. Lots of call the other guy. Has anyone experienced this before?

If you booked through RCI using your points, I don't understand why DVC customer service would be at fault for your frustration. Once your points are allotted to RCI, DVC doesn't have anything to do with your bookings. Have you tried calling your resort directly? Good luck and have a great vacation.

Not to be a downer, but have you priced the same all-inclusive resort via cash? Many of the all-inclusive fees charged for an RCI trade exceed the cost of booking the whole thing straight cash.

Not to be a downer, but have you priced the same all-inclusive resort via cash? Many of the all-inclusive fees charged for an RCI trade exceed the cost of booking the whole thing straight cash.
I was wondering the same thing, RCI can be a good value in some cases, say when staying in New York, but if a resort has anything extra included, it can be a lot cheaper to pay in cash.

I've been an RCI member for decades and a DVC member for a few years. There is no comparison in the level of service: DVC is a thousand times better. In your case, DVC is out of the picture - you're talking about an RCI property. I've found it depends on who you talk to. I suggest calling a couple of different times and sending an email. Is is stunning that someone who is calling to pay money isn't helped.

Another thing is to talk to the resort directly.

It is a shame that a well-intentioned, good customer like you has to jump through hoops just to pay your fees. I'm sorry it has been so difficult for you.

I booked a room in Cozumel through RCI, using DVC points. I have been trying for two weeks to pay the all inclusive fees and cannot reach anyone at DVC or RCI that can help. Lots of call the other guy. Has anyone experienced this before?
While I haven't done it, I'm pretty sure you pay the AI fees directly to the resort. For most you can either pay them on site or pay ahead. Often there's a big savings to pay ahead. As noted, the fees are almost always far too expensive, using DVC points makes it doubly so for an exchange that could be secured for $200-300 non DVC with other timeshares. I've only seen one resort with AI fees where I felt it was reasonable but maybe there are others. I'd look through your paperwork for the resort information and if you can't find any instructions on how to proceed, I'd contact the resort directly. Usually they have a website and you can email them, if you can't, you can call. I'd also suggest you look through what is and is not included. Some charge extra for some items esp top shelf drinks, higher cost food items upgraded restaurants, airport transfers and motorized activities. I suspect a tip is expected much like on a cruise but you should check to see what the norms and expectations are for your resort. Another gotcha for some is they'll charge to private occupancy, for example, they may charge for 4 or 6 for a 2BR even if there are only 2 people. You might post on TUG on the MX board for the resort and AI experience. There are likely those with experience and/or knowledge for the resort in question.

Here's RCI's AI fee estimator https://ai.rci.com/#!/home. At least for some it also tells how to pay. Another RCI website with AI information https://www.rci.com/post-pow-en_US/vacation-ideas/interests/all-inclusive.page

I just looked at the RCI website and for Occidental grande it says to prepay at least 30 days out and gives a toll free number. Club Melia gives a MX phone # and email. No info for Fiesta Americana. Grand Park gives a # and email, due 7 days out for the discounted rate and also gives something interesting. Apparently they have a listing for a 6/4 hotel unit which is 2 hotel units side by side NOT a lockoff so you'd have to go outside to go from one to another. Iberostar is 40 days out and gives a phone number. The Explorean doesn't list any information.

Let us know how it goes and what you see as the value when all is said and done. AI's in general are hit or miss. Some are over the top and some are buffets for yesterdays leftovers. Would you mind letting us know which resort?

Finally successful after calling DVC for the third time, and they had to put me on hold and call several different numbers, including the resort twice. None of the emails worked, and I tried all that were posted, and all that were given to me by phone.
I realize this wasn't the best use of my points, but given a variety of factors...CA residents, son doesn't like WDW any longer, stay at the Hale Koa while we're on Oahu...decided to try this.
BTW, we have the 6/4 unit, and I've seen a customer video. It is two separate units, but they are connected by a vestibule...Disneyland Hotel has rooms like this too. For 120 points it seemed like a good choice.
I guess I'll see next week :)

Finally successful after calling DVC for the third time, and they had to put me on hold and call several different numbers, including the resort twice. None of the emails worked, and I tried all that were posted, and all that were given to me by phone.
I realize this wasn't the best use of my points, but given a variety of factors...CA residents, son doesn't like WDW any longer, stay at the Hale Koa while we're on Oahu...decided to try this.
BTW, we have the 6/4 unit, and I've seen a customer video. It is two separate units, but they are connected by a vestibule...Disneyland Hotel has rooms like this too. For 120 points it seemed like a good choice.
Let us know what you think once you go. Which resort? BTW, that same exchange would cost a direct RCI member around $200 total including exchange fee.

HOPE it goes well!:thumbsup2 Have never used RCI, 10 years DVC member, but very interested to "possibly" explore. Hope that you can let us know how your vaca went!:goodvibes:wave2:

Back from a wonderful vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom at Grand Park Royal in Cozumel, and it was perfect for our family of three. Two double beds and a Murphy bed, two separate rooms with full baths in each, common hallway. Rooms were super clean, and the view from the balconies was fabulous. Staff sooo friendly!!! Great service. Once our room maid realized I liked the room done early she did it that way each morning, so much better than Disney hotels, where you can tip, you can ask, but can't ever count on getting the room done when you want it. Room service accurate and quick, for example if they said 45 minutes on the phone it was generally delivered in 20. Full disclosure, I did tip housekeeping and room service each day, but always small amounts. Buffet was okay, but always had some type of Mexican food such as taquitos or huevos rancheros for breakfast, so I was happy. The ala carte restaurants were good, and had decent wine. Buffet and bars not so much on the wine. I usually drank Mimosas for breakfast, wine coolers or vodka and soda during the day, and that worked out. If you're a beer or fruity mixed drink type you'll do fine. AI fees for our family of three adults were $1400 for the week, exchange was free other than the 120 points I transferred to RCI, so in my mind a pretty good deal. This was a wonderful relaxing vacation, I highly recommend. We will definitely return, we all enjoyed it much more than our stay at Grand Californian in January of this year. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Back from a wonderful vacation. We stayed in a one bedroom at Grand Park Royal in Cozumel, and it was perfect for our family of three. Two double beds and a Murphy bed, two separate rooms with full baths in each, common hallway. Rooms were super clean, and the view from the balconies was fabulous. Staff sooo friendly!!! Great service. Once our room maid realized I liked the room done early she did it that way each morning, so much better than Disney hotels, where you can tip, you can ask, but can't ever count on getting the room done when you want it. Room service accurate and quick, for example if they said 45 minutes on the phone it was generally delivered in 20. Full disclosure, I did tip housekeeping and room service each day, but always small amounts. Buffet was okay, but always had some type of Mexican food such as taquitos or huevos rancheros for breakfast, so I was happy. The ala carte restaurants were good, and had decent wine. Buffet and bars not so much on the wine. I usually drank Mimosas for breakfast, wine coolers or vodka and soda during the day, and that worked out. If you're a beer or fruity mixed drink type you'll do fine. AI fees for our family of three adults were $1400 for the week, exchange was free other than the 120 points I transferred to RCI, so in my mind a pretty good deal. This was a wonderful relaxing vacation, I highly recommend. We will definitely return, we all enjoyed it much more than our stay at Grand Californian in January of this year. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Sounds VERY NICE!:thumbsup2 Nice that the 1 bedroom has 2 bathrooms. Full kitchen also and washer/dryer? Were you concerned about safety at all? Secondly, having never done an exchange, are the AI fees paid up front to through RCI upon booking? Thanks, glad you had a positive experience with a trade!::yes::

There is not a kitchen, and since food, all drinks, and room service are included in the AI fee the kitchen isn't needed. There is a small refrigerator which they stock with 4 cans of soda, 2 beers, and 6-8 bottles of water daily. No washer and dryer but one day at about 1 p.m. I sent out 7 shirts and 6 pairs of shorts to the laundry...back that afternoon at 5 p.m., the cost for all was about $35. The AI fees could be paid anytime up to arrival, but there was a $10/pppd discount if paid 7 days in advance of arrival.

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. For us we don't like the feeling of not knowing for 100% what will happen while on vacation. Too many reports of RCI vacations having issues with too many hands required to make things work. If one doesn't do their job, you may get stuck. Recent news report about a family who did a timeshare trade, flew to island only to find out that reservation was some how canceled.

:earsboy: Bill

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. For us we don't like the feeling of not knowing for 100% what will happen while on vacation. Too many reports of RCI vacations having issues with too many hands required to make things work. If one doesn't do their job, you may get stuck. Recent news report about a family who did a timeshare trade, flew to island only to find out that reservation was some how canceled.

:earsboy: Bill
That is horrible! Your worst nightmare when planning a vacation!:eek:

Thanks, Wide Awake for the information. Sounds like a resort that I would consider in the future; nice to know that there are some decent alternatives within RCI! LOVE beach vacations!:beach:

Thank you for your feedback. Always love to read them. Happy you had had positive experience and there are some good resorts to exchange too.

BTW - just stepping into the thread now but thank you for the info. We own an RCI exchanged timeshare separate from DVC for the purpose of booking through the exchange. We haven't yet tried booking an AI resort as we are not really beach resort people. However, I think getting reviews like this is great.

I know some say you should never exchange your DVC points through RCI - but if you are satisfied with what you got for the money, and you weren't going to use the points - then why the heck not use them this way?

Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!