Funny Things that Cdns say/do at Disney that make Americans go 'huh?'

It's possible that 'bunnyhug' is a Saskatchewan thing.
You would think the population of Saskatchewan would be exploding. I mean we all know what happens when bunnies start hugging...

My mom is from Moose Jaw, and I have never heard her call a hoodie a bunnyhug.

You would think the population of Saskatchewan would be exploding. I mean we all know what happens when bunnies start hugging...

My mom is from Moose Jaw, and I have never heard her call a hoodie a bunnyhug.
Ah yes, but the problem is they keep leaving home. ;)

I never thought I said "a boot" until last week when I was trying with Siri on the phone and it kept showing up as a boot. I'm was like "no way. I thought that was some urban myth. I'm not saying a boot!". For the life of me I couldn't get Siri to understand "about".

I've gotten weird look when I order a rye and Coke. I guess whisky is more common than rye in the US.

Bunnyhugs are SK only.
Vico is a brand name of chocolate milk in SK. We always called in Vico as kids too.

Ask for vinegar for fries .... forget where i am and asked for pop... ask for ice tea and make that stupid "aaak no sugar" face. I'm sure there's more but those 3 happen often!

Come to Pittsburgh, at most places there is malt vinegar for your fries* and if you ask for pop well they ask you what kind of pop and will say we have Coke Products or they will say we have Pepsi products.

Not sure what you mean with the iced tea, I'm assuming you don't want Sweet tea, we don't have sweet tea.

* If you go the Original Hot Dog shop don't ask for the large unless you have about 8 people. Attached is a medium.

thumb_600.jpg

Not sure what you mean with the iced tea, I'm assuming you don't want Sweet tea, we don't have sweet tea.

If you order ice tea here you will get it just like a glass of pop, comes out of the fountains, same as other soft drinks --- or bottled -- pre-sweetened. Also a wide variety of flavours (I believe you have access to Arizona tea??) --- so it's not just a glass of cold brewed tea. In the grocery store we can buy a case of it in cans ...

Happened to me too last year at First Aid, I went in asking for gravol and she looked at me funny. She asked what it's for and when I told her tummy issues she's all "oh dramamine" and I'm just like "sure, whatever as long as I don't throw up"
I find Canadians call it by Brand name instead of ingredient/what it is.
Eg> Kleenex = Tissue, QTip = Cotton Swab. Etc.

I saw there was a Michigander on the thread. What I miss sometimes when in Michigan/Ontario. Is Verners. Canada Dry doesn't even come close!

I Grew up around a border city, thought my wife has not and when we go down to WDW, I like to play a game of "This is what I had as a child".
I have had her try : Ho Hos, Ding Dongs, Hostess Cupcakes, Hostess Snow Balls (Im not allowed to offer those anymore :P ). Yet to Try 'Great Start Breakfasts," American Style Biscuits 'n' Gravy

Is there any foods between the two countries where you were like Eww! No!

Oh the iced tea thing... Poor kiddo had such a look of disgust on his face when he tried "sweet tea" at Crystal Palace with his lunch. He stuck with the water after that. I tried to warn him but he was sure he'd like it.

malt vinegar on fries... mmm. now I can't wait for the chip trucks to open up.

If you order ice tea here you will get it just like a glass of pop, comes out of the fountains, same as other soft drinks --- or bottled -- pre-sweetened. Also a wide variety of flavours (I believe you have access to Arizona tea??) --- so it's not just a glass of cold brewed tea. In the grocery store we can buy a case of it in cans ...

In most places here, even "Fast Food" places its brewed tea.

Oh I sort of misspoke, we have sweet tea but its next to the regular tea and if they only have one its unsweet.

PS I like sweet tea. rot your teeth sweet tea. :)

Once when we were driving south of the border, we stopped for gas (in the days before automated payment at gas pumps) and the attendant asked us for our tag number when we paid with our credit card. DH kept saying "my what" and finally realized he was asking for license plate number.

Funny part is later in the trip got a pretzel from Germany in Epcot and they gave me mustard without me saying anything.

That's cuz it's very German. When we visit family in Bavaria, there are special mustards for practically everything. There's even a special Munich mustard for weisswurst.

In most places here, even "Fast Food" places its brewed tea.

Oh I sort of misspoke, we have sweet tea but its next to the regular tea and if they only have one its unsweet.

PS I like sweet tea. rot your teeth sweet tea. :)

I get excited when I head down south because I can get unsweetened iced tea. Not a thing here in Canada at all! Although I have to say - I do like the pop-like pre-sweetened iced tea found in Canada. It is not the same as sweet tea though - totally different taste as they don't use real brewed tea.

I had the rye and coke response as well, the bartender came back with a bottle of Canadian Club and asked is this rye?. Also asked for serviettes and got a puzzled look, napkins is the term used. Once in Fort Lauderdale when picking up the rental car I mentioned to the attendant that we had had a bad ice storm back home, the young man replied "what is an ice storm?'.

Is there any foods between the two countries where you were like Eww! No!

Boiled peanuts in the Carolinas. Just can't bring myself to eat those goober peas. My peanuts need crunch.

But I really enjoy grits and hushpuppies when I get down south.

I used to enjoy describing poutine to Americans and watching the reaction, but it is starting to catch on now, so the jig is up.

ETA: reposted on your new food thread.

Last edited:
We are Canadians now living in Michigan. I find that we speak VERY different than many of the locals. Not always major stuff, just a lot of subtle differences.

Back home, we took the "garbage" out. Here, its "trash".

Here in MI, they use the word "grills" where we call them "barbecues". Similarly, we "barbecue" when the weather is nice while the locals call it "grilling out".

At our local Tim Hortons, its not a "cafe mocha", its a "coffee mocha". And they don't know what steeped tea is.

I'm still having a hard time dropping all the U's and Q's of the Canadian spellings.

And yes, we say Eh (more than we realize). I catch myself saying it in conversation with the kittens ALL the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!