Future of Star Wars franchise straight from Bob Iger...

Jonfw2

DIS Veteran
Fascinating news yesterday that went pretty far under the radar for some reason...in the quarterly financial call, Bob Iger suggested that in terms of future Star Wars' offerings, the film franchise would be taking a backseat to the Disney+ stuff.

He revealed the official season 2 date of Mando (Oct 20th), referenced the coming Obi Wan show and a Rogue 1-based series, and also hinted that discussions were already being held on spin-offs to Mando.

What about the films? His quote: "no timetable".

Fascinating developments in my opinion.

But we knew that there was a Season 2 of the Mandalorian coming, as well as the Obi Wan series (although now I hear it's on hold), and that the films were on hold as well until they can get a better sense of direction. The only new news would be the spin-offs for Mandalorian and Rogue One (dreadful idea).

I guess I'm missing the whole "fascinating" bit.

The fascinating part is that this is the first official acknowledgement that the films will be taking a backseat to television shows. Who saw that coming when they bought the rights?

That's okay. I think we've become oversaturated with Star Wars themed movies and shows, as much as I enjoy them. It is time for other things to have their day and to cool it with SW before it becomes too tiresome.

The fascinating part is that this is the first official acknowledgement that the films will be taking a backseat to television shows. Who saw that coming when they bought the rights?
But they pretty much announced it after Solo failed and the fans had been posting negative feedback over these past three films.

They said the films would be slowing down after Ep. 9 anyway a while back. This isn't anything new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter