GAC and pregnancy complications

Clutter010

Earning My Ears
We will be traveling to Disney World in about a week, I will be between 34 and 36 weeks pregnant during the trip and the pregnancy is taking quite a lot out of me (I am sure my age, 41, doesn't help). We planned the trip long before we knew about this unexpected pregnancy. I am currently having problems with shortness of breath and sometimes dizziness due to a combination of my asthma and lack of space in my lungs due to the baby. I also have been having trouble with nerve pain in my right hip and leg making it very difficult and sometimes impossible for me to go up and down steps. I was told by guest sevices that my problems are not consdered a disablity because they are temporary and I was told I could not get a GAC card which I had hoped to do to try to avoid long climbs up or down steps or to maybe have a place to sit while waiting for a ride. What do you all suggest? I am also considering getting an ECV for the days we will be all day long in a park, although I wonder if people will just think that is silly....I just worry that my breathing problems will really affect my stamina.

Thanks,
Susan

GAC's are not given out for stamina issues anymore the recommend getting a wheelchair because the distance between the rides is much longer then a wait in line. Also the person that the pass is issued to has to ride the attraction and there are many rides you will not be able to ride because of the pregnancy. Although they can not make you stay off any ride. The rides that suggest you should not ride when pregnant are good to avoid.
There is a GAC that allows you to avoid stairs but you would still wait in line on almost all of the attractions because most of them do not have stairs. The new GACS do not shorten your wait but provide assistance for the guest when needed (like waiting out of the sun and using a stroller in line as a wheelchair). With the information you gave me all guest relations would suggest to you is getting a wheelchair and I would if I were you because it is ALOT of walking! I hope you have a great Trip! Congrats on the Baby!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jen

I sympathize with you because that is how I was at the end of my twin pregnancy. Hope you don't mind this advice but perhaps you should rethink this trip right now, it doesn't sound like you're really going to be able to have a very good time being so uncomfortable. If you decide to go, a doctor's note should satisfy Guest Services, however, I would be surprised if your doctor would sanction a WDW trip for you right now. Best wishes for a swift and uncomplicated birth of your baby. :grouphug:

Pea-n-Me said:
If you decide to go, a doctor's note should satisfy Guest Services,
A doctor's note really won't help you; a note is not required to get a Guest Assistance Card and Guest Relations often doesn't want to see the note. Whether you have a doctor's note or not, they do recommend an ECV or wheelchair for endurance issues.

The things you are mentioning:
  • will be between 34 and 36 weeks pregnant during the trip
  • problems with shortness of breath and sometimes dizziness due to a combination of my asthma and lack of space in my lungs due to the baby.
are endurance concerns. having a GAC would not really help them. Having a wheelchair or an ECV so you have a place to sit and can avoid walking will help.
The other things that you mentioned:
  • nerve pain in my right hip and leg making it very difficult and sometimes impossible for me to go up and down steps.
  • hoped to do to try to avoid long climbs up or down steps
  • or to maybe have a place to sit while waiting for a ride.
would all be solved by having a wheelchair or an ECV.

There are very few attractions with steps.
Splash Mountain is one I can think of that has steps in the queue, but it is not recommended for pregnant women and it would be hard to get into and out of the ride car even if it was OK. American Adventure also has steps to get up to the theater from the initial waiting area, but they also have an escalator, so you would be able to avoid the steps. (They also have an elevator, which I have seen them allow pregnant women to use even if they don't have a wheelchair/ECV or GAC).
Some theater attractions (like Fantasmic, the Lion King and Indiana Jones Stunt Show) have steps in the theater, but your best bet there if you don't have a wheelchair is to just talk to the CM.
Most attractions don't have any place to sit while you wait (and the ones that do, having a GAC doesn't guarantee you a spot to sit - the only guarantee is if you bring your seat along with you).

The last part of my advice is to echo what Pea-n-Me had to say
however, I would be surprised if your doctor would sanction a WDW trip for you right now.
If you are flying, many airlines will not allow flight after a certain point (I think 34-36 weeks) and even before that, might require a note from your doctor that says you are OK for travel.
Car travel is also not a good idea that late in pregnancy because of all the sitting in one place and risk of blood clots.
Even you didn't have any pregnancy associated problems, you do have to think that some healthy women deliver at 36 weeks (which you wouldn't want to happen away from home).

I know your not looking for advice but I am just about 38 weeks pregnant and I do not have the issues you do but would reconsider the trip.

I almost took a short weekend trip to Disney when I was about 34 weeks and I was like "sure I can do it" but then the more I thought about the more I realised it was a bad idea, so I didn't go. And I didn't have as many complicatiosn as you do. I did have shorteness of breath though.

I thought about the plane ride (which is only 3 hours) but I knew it would be uncomfortable, the rides I couldn't go on, the long walks and standing around. Not getting a seat on the busses and although I am sure I would have had fun, it would not have been ideal.

We are now going in May and the baby should be about 2 1/2 months old. Very, very young but I think it will be a better trip for all of us.

Reconsider if possible. If not try your best to take it easy. I would try to schedule less park days and more resort days. Make sure you drink enough even though its cooler and definetly rent an ECV or wheelchair at least for some of the days.

If done slowly and at your pace you still should have a good time, but don't push yourself.

Have fun and congrats on your pregnancy!

Has your obstetrician ok'd this trip? I would check that it is even ok to go. If you do go I would get a wheelchair or an ECV from offsite and take it really easy.

I would aggree with Lisa. Talk to your doctor; if told no believe it. It will do no good (for either you or child) to damage health for a trip, even if it involves losing money. Usually if there are medical reasons to prevent travel, you can get special dispensations from airlines and hotels, even if the amounts are officially nonrefundable. You may be able to reschedule the trip without penalty.

I would also suggest reading the disABILITIES! FAQ sections about wheelchairs, ECVs and GACs. If you do go your best bet would be to probably rent an ECV from off-site, so it will be available at all times; note that some of the hotel corridors are very long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter