GCH, DLH and PPH all booked weekend of 10/18?

twodogs

DIS Veteran
I am trying to book a long weekend, and all three hotels show absolutely no rooms for this weekend. I have tried extending the stay to 3-4 nights, shortening it to one night, incognito browser, etc. I see nothing. I guess I am going to have to call, which is annoying, but I hope something is available and this is a glitch. I realize it is Halloween season, but all the other weekends in October seem to have rooms at some level. Anyone experiencing this?

Going off of memory, but I think that is when the big Utah break happens (forgot the name of it). But I would still call to make sure it isn't a glitch

Yes you are right. It is UAE, even though they have discontinued that conference. I guess Utah schools still use that weekend as a fall break. UGH. We have not other weekends we can go in October. Thank you for reminding me of that event. I completely forgot about it.

There's also a produce convention that weekend. That might be having some effect as well.

Ok, which is worse, Columbus Day weekend (the weekend before this weekend) or UAE weekend?

Ok, which is worse, Columbus Day weekend (the weekend before this weekend) or UAE weekend?
I don't have experience with UAE weekend, but I do with Columbus weekend (which I found chaotic). My best advice would be to just expect big crowds either way. Use early mornings to your advantage, use maxpass, etc. What makes things more tricky are the Halloween parties. When one side closes early for the party, everyone floods the other park that is open.

Both are bad, but I don't know how bad UEA will be with the actual convention cancelled. We have both weekends circled on our DLR calendar so we know to avoid those dates -- learned from experience! You can still have a good time, but you'll need good planning and lots of patience.

Not all Utah schools have that weekend off. We actually have October 21-25 off for fall break (not UEA). We are one of the larger districts in the stage. I think a lot of schools are following suit. October is usually a crazy month.

Thanks all for your advice. I know October is just generally crazy no matter what you choose, having gone in years past. We did Columbus Day weekend last year, and it was indeed crazy. I wish we had any other options but our own October calendar is filling up fast, so I think our only option is the UAE weekend. I am glad to hear that not all Utah schools are out that weekend since the convention is no longer happening the last few years.

I am going to call today because I just can’t figure out why all the hotels, every room type at all 3 hotels, are booked that weekend. They are not even booked up for Columbus weekend, which I suspect is even more crazy. So hopefully it is a glitch.

Must be rooms on hold for something. I cannot believe all hotels would be full, but part of that is my own limited belief that there are that many people who can afford to stay there. :rotfl2:

Must be rooms on hold for something. I cannot believe all hotels would be full, but part of that is my own limited belief that there are that many people who can afford to stay there. :rotfl2:
UEA is big freaking deal crowd wise at DLR- even though it’s now just a fall break. I believe the rooms are booked.
ETA: well it was a big deal LOL. No convention this year is very intriguing. But I absolutely believe the rooms are booked. DLR isn’t known to hold back inventory.

Last edited:
Not all Utah schools have that weekend off. We actually have October 21-25 off for fall break (not UEA). We are one of the larger districts in the stage. I think a lot of schools are following suit. October is usually a crazy month.
Hmmmm. Well if it’s not UEA it’s gotta be the convention then. Might bode well for park crowds afterall...

If the big districts have 21-25 off then weekend of the 18-20 could be booked with all those who are taking the weekend before instead of the weekend after off. It could still be the Utah contingent en masse doing this which would definitely impact park attendance.

Ok guys- who is gonna stand outside the park gates are run the “what state are you from?” survey so we can get some clear answers come Oct? :rotfl2:

I am from Utah, our school district only has the 17th and 18th off for Fall Break. I believe some AZ schools have the whole week off

Not sure how big of an impact this is, but the last Friday in October is Nevada day. I knew about 10 different people/families who went to Disneyland that weekend as well. I know a few more who now have the flex pass and are planning to go during that weekend if they get reservations. So yeah October is just a crazy month for breaks in neighboring states.

There is a huge national produce convention that weekend. They block of thousands of rooms. Many of the hotels will be sold out. Hubby works in produce so we will be there. Convention is Thursday-Saturday. I actually don't think the actual crowds will be that bad as most of those people will be at the convention. But the hotel rates are definitely high.

There's also a produce convention that weekend. That might be having some effect as well.

Last year about that time we had the same experience and the CM said that there were 3-4 conventions either on property or close by. Then the CM asked if I wanted to check Grand Californian Villas to use some of our DVC points. They had a 2-bedroom for the three nights I needed and we had the points. Yes please!!

There is a huge national produce convention that weekend. They block of thousands of rooms. Many of the hotels will be sold out. Hubby works in produce so we will be there. Convention is Thursday-Saturday. I actually don't think the actual crowds will be that bad as most of those people will be at the convention. But the hotel rates are definitely high.

My hubby will be there as well...he's worked in produce for about 30 years. I'm glad it's in Anaheim this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!