Gem Mining at the Fort

ilovedisneymm

DIS Veteran
Saw this on Facebook this morning.

GEM MINING AT THE FORT!!!

My kids got a little overly excited when I showed them the photos this morning.

We went on a little camp trip a few weeks back in STL at the KOA. I had a homeschool conference to attend and the KOA was close with a pool and daily activities for kids. While I'm not a big fan of camping at KOAs (would rather be at a State Park or Disney), it suited our needs. Hubby was able to manage them without me during the day so I could attend the conference.

Every single morning the kids would ask for $$$ to go and buy a bag at the store to go gem mining.

$6 a bag X 2 in the morning. $6 a bag X 2 in the evening. X 4 days = OH MY!

Just showed hubby the photo and his reply was. "I'm going to have to make the bags myself for the next Disney trip, or we're going to go broke."

hahaha

Kidding we are not going to make our own bags, but we are likely to go broke here.

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.48.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.48.51 AM.png

I've seen this done at many other places. The best one was a place in Gatlinburg where once you mined the gems, a "gemologist" walked the kids through some of them, describing their unique qualities, and then even polishing the most unique. If you just let the kids wash them out of the stream... well, I'd say about half of the kid friendly campgrounds we go to have the same option. Kudos to Disney, however, for adding something new to the campground.

That is a lot of fun for the kids. I didn't realize they started it at the Fort.

BTW, was the KOA the one by Six Flags? That is a favorite of our friends. We've stayed there a couple of times and I saw the "gem bags" at the camp store. I agree though, I prefer a SP or COE campground. We were down in one of the premium sites at the end by the creek. It's a little pricey.

j

@rideswithchrist I messaged you the group.

@Teamubr Yes, the one by Six Flags. We did not go to Six Flags while there. How can one go the Six Flags after Disney? No, just no. (hehehe)

The kids had the time of their life at that KOA. We also stayed at a KOA over in OH when I attended an earlier homeschool conference this past spring.

Camping + other children + pool + activities + train rides + scavenger hunts .......... the kids were in heaven.

I have a huge agate collector in my family- can someone explain to what this actually is! Thanks!

@serenitygr

Kids purchase a bag of sand from the local camp store and use it to "mine" for gems. They add a handful at a time and with water and the mining motion a gem is soon revealed.

Usually come in a variety of sizes and there may or may not be higher priced bags to purchase that contain more "rare and precious" types of gems.

There is no real value in these gems, but kids sure have fun.

I'm just going to buy in bulk when I arrive.

My kids got a little overly excited when I showed them the photos this morning. ...
I don't know Ilovedisneymm I will be there at the same time as you and be forewarned I won't stand for any claim jumping. Not only have seen "North To Alaska" enough to know how John Wayne handled them I will retaliate by setting the savage sisters on them to lick all the ice cream and cookies right out of themResized_20170728_094738001_7405.jpg

I've never seen that at the fort, was this at the KOA?

My kids got a little overly excited when I showed them the photos this morning.

We went on a little camp trip a few weeks back in STL at the KOA. I had a homeschool conference to attend and the KOA was close with a pool and daily activities for kids. While I'm not a big fan of camping at KOAs (would rather be at a State Park or Disney), it suited our needs. Hubby was able to manage them without me during the day so I could attend the conference.

Every single morning the kids would ask for $$$ to go and buy a bag at the store to go gem mining.

$6 a bag X 2 in the morning. $6 a bag X 2 in the evening. X 4 days = OH MY!

Just showed hubby the photo and his reply was. "I'm going to have to make the bags myself for the next Disney trip, or we're going to go broke."

hahaha

Kidding we are not going to make our own bags, but we are likely to go broke here.

View attachment 345561

View attachment 345562

Um, everyone is talking about the kids will love it, well this is one adult that thinks it will be fun too. Can't wait to try it. I may be the only adult in a group of kids, as I was with the tie dying shirt craft, but that's just me, a kid a heart :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!