Germany 2017 itinerary change

White Rose

DIS Veteran
We were showing some friends the ABD site and noticed our day four and day seven itinerary has changed. When we booked day four was Lowenburg castle, now we just get to see it in the distance...lol it does not really mention going inside the new location, just that we are going to a very beautiful park. I believe the old location we got a tour with guides dressed in period costumes. Our day seven used to show that we are getting a private tent during Octoberfest, but the website does not mention that at all any longer.

Has anyone done th adults only octoberfest trip previously? Did you get a private tent? We are not drinkers and have heard some stories who said it was lots of drunks and it was very very uncomfortably crowded with no respect for personal space. (My SIL can be quite dramatic so it might not have been as bad as she says.) I just was surprised there was a change after we booked and we did not get notification.

Here is the new day four...

Schloss Wilhelmsthal

Take in the beauty of this Rococo palace that was built between 1747 and 1761.With an exquisite interior design by the renowned sculptor Johann August Nahl, Wilhelmsthal Castle was originally designed as a summer residence. It houses the world's largest collection of paintings by the extraordinary Tischbein family, whose art contributed to Germany's transition from the Rococo art of the Late Baroque to Neoclassicism and Naturalism.

Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe

Take a short walk to this delightful park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its reservoirs, channels, waterfalls and wild rapids. Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe combines the ambiance of Baroque and Romantic periods in its landscape, with the mighty Hercules Monument standing at the top of a long hill, a striking copper statue of the ancient Greek demigod. View Löwenburg Castle in the distance, built in the 18th century and designed to resemble an authentic medieval castle—a model for some fictional castles ever since its inception!

We did the Schloss Wilhelmsthal last summer. I should have pictures in my trip report.

Post #67 if you look it up. Sorry, I don't have very many pictures. It was neat, but nothing life changing.

We did the Schloss Wilhelmsthal last summer. I should have pictures in my trip report.

Post #67 if you look it up. Sorry, I don't have very many pictures. It was neat, but nothing life changing.

Thank you! Seems it was a nice experience! My hubby is more concerned by the removal of a private tent. Anyone do the Octoberfest trip and have any experiences with that?

The castle may only accessible during the spring and summer months. When we were there there was a number of young employees that seemed to be working on their vacation time. The Lowenburg castle was not an authentic castle but built as a monument funeral resting place I believe. To me it sounds like the Schloss Wilhelmstal is a better option IMO.

I noticed the same thing and had the same concern as your DH, White Rose. We booked this trip with that private tent at Oktoberfest in mind because we've heard the same thing about it as your SIL. It would be a big disappointment to lose that perk. The "new" itinerary says that lunch and Oktoberfest are only available on the adult exclusive departure but the tent is no longer mentioned. It was there at one point right? I did not imagine it?
Did you also notice that for a time there the adult exclusive departure was sold out and there was a waitlist but it is now available for purchase?

We were showing some friends the ABD site and noticed our day four and day seven itinerary has changed. When we booked day four was Lowenburg castle, now we just get to see it in the distance...lol it does not really mention going inside the new location, just that we are going to a very beautiful park. I believe the old location we got a tour with guides dressed in period costumes. Our day seven used to show that we are getting a private tent during Octoberfest, but the website does not mention that at all any longer.

Has anyone done th adults only octoberfest trip previously? Did you get a private tent? We are not drinkers and have heard some stories who said it was lots of drunks and it was very very uncomfortably crowded with no respect for personal space. (My SIL can be quite dramatic so it might not have been as bad as she says.) I just was surprised there was a change after we booked and we did not get notification.

Here is the new day four...

Schloss Wilhelmsthal

Take in the beauty of this Rococo palace that was built between 1747 and 1761.With an exquisite interior design by the renowned sculptor Johann August Nahl, Wilhelmsthal Castle was originally designed as a summer residence. It houses the world's largest collection of paintings by the extraordinary Tischbein family, whose art contributed to Germany's transition from the Rococo art of the Late Baroque to Neoclassicism and Naturalism.

Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe

Take a short walk to this delightful park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site renowned for its reservoirs, channels, waterfalls and wild rapids. Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe combines the ambiance of Baroque and Romantic periods in its landscape, with the mighty Hercules Monument standing at the top of a long hill, a striking copper statue of the ancient Greek demigod. View Löwenburg Castle in the distance, built in the 18th century and designed to resemble an authentic medieval castle—a model for some fictional castles ever since its inception!

White Rose

If you are NOT Drinkers then Do NOT take this Option .

It is a Beer Festival ..... Beer & more Beer . Sitting on long tables & drinking Beer

By all means wander around and watch BUT to pay & NOT drink is a waste of time.

We are going on the trip. I doubt one day of beer that others will drink will make the trip worthless for nondrinkers.

We would not pay for a beer tent, in the original intinerary the private beer tent was included, which would mean we would not be crushed with people, and in a private space, just for those on the ABD tour.

I noticed the same thing and had the same concern as your DH, White Rose. We booked this trip with that private tent at Oktoberfest in mind because we've heard the same thing about it as your SIL. It would be a big disappointment to lose that perk. The "new" itinerary says that lunch and Oktoberfest are only available on the adult exclusive departure but the tent is no longer mentioned. It was there at one point right? I did not imagine it?
Did you also notice that for a time there the adult exclusive departure was sold out and there was a waitlist but it is now available for purchase?

The tent was mentioned. We were wondering if it was maybe a "surprise" or maybe just not important to mention, or not garanteed anymore. Yes we noticed it was on sale again!

When it was waitlisted previously, it was because of hotel room availability, either our group size dropped or more rooms are available. I think it was around 30 in the group when we had called previously.

I know nothing of the itinerary changes; however, I lived/worked outside of Munich. Oktoberfest is a huge festival, much like a fair (carnival rides and all), but instead of huge livestock barns, there are huge beer tents. In all honesty, a private tent would not really give you a taste of Oktoberfest. The fest, as an anniversary party, is about gemütlichkeit...a warm, social, feeling of togetherness. There is no direct translation, or example in English/English-speaking countries.

The tents are crowded with shared tables, and yes, copious amounts of bier! They are loud, featuring traditional Bavarian bands, and many conversations. That said, there is nothing else like it--including other Bavarian festivals.
If you feel uncomfortable in this type of environment, I would recommend at least considering a different date for your adventure. Either way, Germany is a very incredible place, especially in the southern part... Enjoy!

Last edited:
I know nothing of the itinerary changes; however, I lived/worked outside of Munich. Oktoberfest is a huge festival, much like a fair (carnival rides and all), but instead of huge livestock barns, there are huge beer tents. In all honesty, a private tent would not really give you a taste of Oktoberfest. The fest, as an anniversary party, is about gemütlichkeit...a warm, social, feeling of togetherness. There is no direct translation, or example in English/English-speaking countries.

The tents are crowded with shared tables, and yes, copious amounts of bier! They are loud, featuring traditional Bavarian bands, and many conversations. That said, there is nothing else like it--including other Bavarian festivals.
If you feel uncomfortable in this type of environment, I would recommend at least considering a different date for your adventure. Either way, Germany is a very incredible place, especially in the southern part... Enjoy!

We are not changing our trip, we booked it based on the fact it was adults only, the right time of year, going to the steiff museum, and the info that there would be a private tent for Oktoberfest. We are not uncomfortable, just we do not drink alcohol, not for religious reasons or anything, just not to our taste, and my hubby has medical reasons. No one is going to force feed us alcohol, I just know he doe not prefer crowds, and a private tent was very appealing.

Is anyone else disappointed that we are not going to the Steiff museum? Our box arrived and while looking through the booklet I noticed that on Steiff day we skip it all together!! I called ABD to enquire and she confirmed that the adult exclusive departure does not go there at all. Anyone interested in joining us for a detour? It was one of three main reasons we booked this trip so we would still like to go.

We did this trip a few years ago (family) and to tell you the truth I was not too excited about visiting the Steiff museum. But upon arrival and tour it was one of the highlights of the tour. So much history and we even purchased a couple of items before we left. The museum is pretty isolated from big cities if I remember correctly so to go there on your own I suspect would be an undertaking. Good luck on trying to see the museum.

Is anyone else disappointed that we are not going to the Steiff museum? Our box arrived and while looking through the booklet I noticed that on Steiff day we skip it all together!! I called ABD to enquire and she confirmed that the adult exclusive departure does not go there at all. Anyone interested in joining us for a detour? It was one of three main reasons we booked this trip so we would still like to go.

I called ABD when we booked the adult exclusive and was told we are going to steiff for the sept adults only trip, and it is listed on the website that we do go there and just skip lunch at steiff. We will be doing a hands on activity there...I called ABD when we booked the trip because there was, at one point, a listing showing we were not going there. I was assured it was incorrect and we ARE going to Steiff. The website was updated after we booked to include the steiff experience, there was just an itinerary change for lunch. If the whole steiff experience has been removed I will be extremely upset and disappointed.

We will be calling tomorrow to confirm. Our box went to our travel agent.

I just spoke to a supervisor and he is supposed to get back with me as to why day 7 was changed. I voiced my displeasure as well. He did say it may take him 48 hours to get back to me.

I just spoke to a supervisor and he is supposed to get back with me as to why day 7 was changed. I voiced my displeasure as well. He did say it may take him 48 hours to get back to me.

We are waiting for a call back from the Germany Destination Manager to find out why the change was made...if more people call and complain, maybe, if it was a logistics decision ("adults won't care if we just take this off, and we can leave later") maybe we can get it back on the list?

Okay, if it really is off the schedule (or maybe, crossing my fingers, this experience which is a 'trip highlight' is now a "surprise"?)

I am up for a side trip!

Do you want to start a discussion now or on day 1 of the trip? Rothenburg is about an hour from the factory/museum. (64 miles) It is open 10-6. If we have 4 hrs free time during the day, we could do an uber or lyft...sound good? I think we should talk to our guides.

Btw...there are 32 on the trip.

I am up for that...see my post above!!

Just got news:

Thank you so much for your recent inquiry regarding the Steiff Bear Factory Tour during the Germany Adventure.

I hope this e-mail finds you well. Great news! Our Partners and Destinations Manager have advised that we will be including a visit to the Steiff Bear Museum as an optional activity during the time on your own on Day 6 of the itinerary.

The Adventure Guides will inform the entire group of this optional activity in destination, and on the first day they will take a head count of the Guests interested in partaking in the visit.

For the Steiff Bear Museum visit, Guests will be accompanied by an Adventure Guide and transportation to and from the Steiff Bear Factory will be provided by Adventures by Disney. The Museum is approximately a 1 hour drive from Rothenburg.

Please note that Guests will be responsible for their lunch prior to the Steiff Bear Factory activity and Guests will return in time for dinner at the Eisenhut Hotel.

I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and I hope you enjoy your Adventure!

Kind Regards,

Carol

Vacationista

Adventures by Disney

So glad to hear this. I received a call yesterday from the supervisor I spoke to and he said some details were still being worked out and he would call me back on Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter