• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Germany Trip at Christmas: Anyone Go 2008?

WeLoveABD

DIS Veteran
We have booked the Germany ABD trip which includes Christmas--I know the changed itinerary for the holiday period won't officially come out until 45 or so days before the trip, so I'm seeking reports from those who went with ABD at Christmas time in 2008 (or 2007 for that matter). What was altered? (Our experience with Knights and Lights last Christmas was great--I thought the changes due to the holiday actually improved the trip; plus the atmosphere in the cities visited was festive, the crowds not so bad). Thanks!

There wasn't actually a Christmas trip last year. This is their first year doing Germany including the markets. We were only the adults only October trip--ending in Munich during Oktoberfest. The trip was fabulous. We are now booked for the Austria/Czech trip this October with three other couples we met last year on the trip!

Have fun--it's a great itinerary!

We are very excited about this trip--and the addition of the holiday season and the Christmas markets will be a special treat. I assume there are Christmas markets all over Germany, not just in Munich? (I saw in travel books that the Christmas markets usually end Christmas eve, and we won't be in Munich until a few days later). (The Austria trip also sounded great--and in fact the description of Salzburg caused me to do an add on day at the end so we could--hopefully--take a day train trip from Munich to Salzburg).

I did a little more digging--while Christmas Markets pop up all over Germany, the big ones seem to be in Munich and Rothenburg, but both end before the December ABD group arrives in each city. Heidelberg has one--but my guess is that it is a lesser market experience. And it seems this is the first Christmas Germany trip, I suppose based on requests to see a German Christmas Market. Given the dates of the main markets, the holiday season (and down days) and the weather, this should be an adventure and one that doesn't track the posted itinerary. (In a way, all the more exciting!) If anyone out there knows anything about possible December Germany trip changes, please write!!

I did a little more digging--while Christmas Markets pop up all over Germany, the big ones seem to be in Munich and Rothenburg,

Oh goodness, please don't let the other two posters from Bavaria/Franken read this! The best is certainly not in my corner of the state, but rather the Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt. This is the most famous in Germany for many reasons.

Also please remember that as we celebrate on 24. December most things will close by early afternoon.

I did a little more digging--while Christmas Markets pop up all over Germany, the big ones seem to be in Munich and Rothenburg,

Oh goodness, please don't let the other two posters from Bavaria/Franken read this! The best is certainly not in my corner of the state, but rather the Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt. This is the most famous in Germany for many reasons.

Also please remember that as we celebrate on 24. December most things will close by early afternoon.

I'm relying on what I have read in guide books--so no offense intended! Where is the market you reference in relation to Heidelberg?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter