Get Excited: Downtown Disney Has Now Reopened Superthread!

It came up in the DLR Reopening Superthread that not everyone is familiar with the security/bag check process for DTD. For those who might be wondering how the procedure goes now:

From the MP DLR Update (7/13-19/20):
Arrival and screening
The new measures are noticeable as you arrive to Downtown Disney, with street signs advising that masks are required to enter the area. After parking in the Downtown Disney lot, signs guide visitors to the first of three screening tents. Disney has partnered with Hoag Health to conduct the temperature screenings, which are done with a handheld, no-contact temperature scanner.

Visitors are then asked to take any bags or backpacks off their shoulders before passing through the next checkpoint, staffed by Disney security and specially trained "vapor wake" dogs. Disney has used these dogs since 2015 to help detect explosives that might be worn on the body or concealed in baggage.

Finally, visitors go to the now-familiar bag check tents and pass their bags underneath a plexiglass barrier to a waiting cast member, who examines the bag and passes it back. After a walk through the metal detector, it's on to Downtown Disney. The whole process took just minutes during two visits last week, though the wait to get to the first checkpoint can vary quite a bit depending on how many people are in line. With groups asked to maintain social distance of six feet between parties, it's fairly difficult to estimate just how long of a wait any given line really represents.

1) Temp Check

2) K-9 Walk Through Screening Tent/Dog Check

3) Bag Check and Metal Detectors

Folks, I'll be at DTD on Sunday. Let me know if there's anything anyone would like me to check.

I know pak
Dear Disney Powers That Be:

Your west coast APs feel left out with all these 30% discounts you've been giving your east coast APs. We would like some love too :flower1: . Many would also accept our AP discount being good online on at least park merch like it used to be with the Shop Parks app.
yes! Or increase it if we are in downtown Disney. It will make me shop more than I already do 😂

Dear Disney Powers That Be:

Your west coast APs feel left out with all these 30% discounts you've been giving your east coast APs. We would like some love too :flower1: . Many would also accept our AP discount being good online on at least park merch like it used to be with the Shop Parks app.
I know pak

yes! Or increase it if we are in downtown Disney. It will make me shop more than I already do 😂
Amen and amen!

Just finished eating at Ballast Point. They are using the indoor seating. I think it’s based on first availability. I’m assuming other restaurants are doing the same, so make sure you tell them that if you aren’t comfortable with being indoors. There could be a longer wait. When I got there, the open table happened to be indoors.

I felt very safe. Tables were very far apart. You order and pay on your phone. The only time a server comes to your table is when they bring the food/drinks,or if they bring napkins or something you need. It was actually very nice eating inside in the A/C without the mask.

A few things to note:
- If you plan on coming on a weekend, try your best to get there at 9:30. That is when they open Simba on the weekends. I did that today and it paid off big time! Someone posted on a facebook group that parking was at capacity by 10!! If not, I would say be prepared to wait, park off-site, OR make a dining reservation so you can bypass the lines.
- I noticed that they added porta potties to the line area. I overheard a CM say it was an 80 minute wait to get in when I left at 1:30...
- Getting there early also paid off for getting into the stores. I had no wait for WOD. I had very short waits for Home Store, Marcelline's, Dress Shop, and Star Wars post. I made a reservation for Ballast point for 2pm, thinking it was going to take a while to get through everything. But I had done all the stores by 12, so I asked if I could check in early, and they let me!

A few things to note:
- If you plan on coming on a weekend, try your best to get there at 9:30. That is when they open Simba on the weekends. I did that today and it paid off big time! Someone posted on a facebook group that parking was at capacity by 10!! If not, I would say be prepared to wait, park off-site, OR make a dining reservation so you can bypass the lines.
- I noticed that they added porta potties to the line area. I overheard a CM say it was an 80 minute wait to get in when I left at 1:30...
- Getting there early also paid off for getting into the stores. I had no wait for WOD. I had very short waits for Home Store, Marcelline's, Dress Shop, and Star Wars post. I made a reservation for Ballast point for 2pm, thinking it was going to take a while to get through everything. But I had done all the stores by 12, so I asked if I could check in early, and they let me!
That long line to get into DTD has made me wonder how on earth they are going to handle the park being open, even at reduced capacity. I’d believe that line gets to 80 minutes just to get into DTD, and you know it’ll be even longer if it’s to get into DL.

I’m really curious how it’s going to work. I’m wondering if the tram route isn’t for “walking to the park” as people have speculated, but is really for waiting in line for the park!

That long line to get into DTD has made me wonder how on earth they are going to handle the park being open, even at reduced capacity. I’d believe that line gets to 80 minutes just to get into DTD, and you know it’ll be even longer if it’s to get into DL.

I’m really curious how it’s going to work. I’m wondering if the tram route isn’t for “walking to the park” as people have speculated, but is really for waiting in line for the park!
Maybe they will end the free parking? That’s the only reason why I frequent DTD right now. But I wonder the same thing. Especially since the DLH hotel uses that entrance.

We visited DTD for a few hours this morning. Crowds were moderate. We joined the WOD line at around 9:50 so we only waited 5 minutes or so to get in. Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but we saw hand sanitizer stations inside of the DL gates. Definitely a good sign. Otherwise, no outward indicators of an imminent opening.

A few pics.

A friend and I made it down today for a bit. She wore what she refers to as her "crazy pants." They have the kind of punk straps/suspenders that hang down the side. I also had my moto/rock jeans with zippers so we both nailed the look today ;-).
09ECC8C4-8F9B-42A6-9F8E-97B7CDAE00F6.jpeg

There's a hand sanitizer station on the opposite side of the gate, slightly off center. This may have been pointed out before but it seems to me like a good sign.
34E621F7-A903-4738-8159-1621297EB5EA.jpeg

Another hand sanitizer station
DF5C86E2-5FCE-47D7-86B3-A34C02FDBF95.jpeg

20E38494-802D-417A-9AB5-4C405D62761B.jpeg

EE64089A-1058-439A-A199-7F2D0C0F6B63.jpeg

First time I've seen this spirit jersey. Presumably it's new?
1A02F22F-2641-43A8-A5C3-EDA74E4417E5.jpeg

A203F523-0C87-40A6-A695-F10806DEA84A.jpeg

This is the closest I've been to Buzz or anything like it in months.
A494BAD8-2857-480F-B3E6-A652D6FEB8F3.jpeg

Last edited:
We visited DTD for a few hours this morning. Crowds were moderate. We joined the WOD line at around 9:50 so we only waited 5 minutes or so to get in. Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but we saw hand sanitizer stations inside of the DL gates. Definitely a good sign. Otherwise, no outward signs of an imminent opening.

A few pics.

A friend and I made it down today for a bit. She wore what she refers to as her "crazy pants." They have the kind of punk straps/suspenders that hang down the side. I also had my moto/rock jeans with zippers so we both nailed the look today ;-).
View attachment 527205

There's a hand sanitizer station on the opposite side of the gate, slightly off center. This may have been pointed out before but it seems to me like a good sign.
View attachment 527206

Another hand sanitizer station
View attachment 527207

View attachment 527209

View attachment 527201

First time I've seen this spirit jersey. Presumably it's new?
View attachment 527210

View attachment 527211

This is the closest I've been to Buzz or anything like it in months.
View attachment 527212
You got a photo of the very popular Hades spirit jersey! Sold out in just a few hours online, but now being sold at WOD. Thanks for that photo -- it will make certain DISers very happy! Hope you and your friend had a good time today. :)

You got a photo of the very popular Hades spirit jersey! Sold out in just a few hours online, but now being sold at WOD. Thanks for that photo -- it will make certain DISers very happy! Hope you and your friend had a good time today. :)
Thank you, TLR! Yes, we did. Something I used to say about my weekly visits to DL was that they helped to restore my faith in humanity. Similarly, going to DTD is a welcome break from the harsh reality which we face these days. People there are happy and friendly (generally speaking), Disney music plays and often I’ll see some nice bounding.

They are also at the Dress Shop!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter