Get yer lugs on we're going to Disney - July 16 TR (update 8/11) Football and Chili's

Scotland is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your small break. I nice relaxing vacation sounds just perfect right now. Alfie is very lucky to have such great parents. I loved to poem too. I wish I had time to just stand and stare.

Scotland is so beautiful!

It certainly is. It recently was voted the Rough Guide award of 'the most beautiful country in the world'. Hard to say if it is the most beautiful in the world - I really loved the parts of Canada we visited and Austria was lovely too. There are also some beautiful parts of USA. The good thing about Scotland is that it is fairly compact so you can see different areas in a relatively short time.

Thanks for sharing your small break.

No problem - I will try and get the next part posted soon.

I nice relaxing vacation sounds just perfect right now.
Doesn't it just?

Alfie is very lucky to have such great parents.

It certainly is a better life than he would have had on the racetrack.

I loved to poem too. I wish I had time to just stand and stare.

I hope you get some time soon - although it is much better when you have sunglasses to hide the fact you are staring!

Well, that was a busy week at work. I can't believe it was only 4 days. I think I ended up cramming in 5 days work into those days. My Dad had his hip replacement surgery on Tuesday and got home yesterday. It seems to have gone well. This morning I was up bright and early to go to see Peter's rugby match. They played really well although he did get a few sore knocks in the process.

Alan drove to a nearby village to pick up some items for dinner. He made us a nice Chinese stir fry and even picked me up a bottle of Pinot Grigio. I actually only ended up having one glass. After dinner we watched T2 Trainspotting. Alan had been given this for Father's Day back in June but we hadn't found time to watch it. I love the original Trainspotting so this was going to have a lot to live up to. I am a fan of Ewan McGregor. Robert Carlyle reprises the role of the psycho Begbie. We really enjoyed it and it was great managing to watch to the end without either of us falling asleep. Achievement unlocked! It probably helped that we started watching the film just after 6pm.

On Sunday morning. after Alan came back from dropping Hannah off, we had some bacon rolls for breakfast. We decided we would take Alfie to a beach. The East Coast of Scotland has some beautiful beaches. Last year we went to one of my favourite beaches Lunan Bay. We also went to Montrose and St Andrew's. If you look back at my 2015 Trip report you will see photos of Tentsmuir Nature Reserve. This year we decided to take the short drive to Broughty Ferry.

Seeing it's Scotland you are never too far from a castle!

A castle and a beach what more do you want?

Alfie had his first experience of sand beneath his paws!

Alfie seemed to be enjoying his first taste of beach life.

My Dad had his hip replacement surgery on Tuesday and got home yesterday. It seems to have gone well.

How is he doing?

This morning I was up bright and early to go to see Peter's rugby match. They played really well although he did get a few sore knocks in the process.

That's a rough sport. Not surprised he got a few "sore knocks".

I actually only ended up having one glass.

Alan drank an entire bottle? (Minus one glass)

After dinner we watched T2 Trainspotting. Alan had been given this for Father's Day back in June but we hadn't found time to watch it. I love the original Trainspotting so this was going to have a lot to live up to.

I've never seen Trainspotting. You know why? Neither do I.

it was great managing to watch to the end without either of us falling asleep. Achievement unlocked!

:laughing:

Seeing it's Scotland you are never too far from a castle!

This is what I expect.

A castle and a beach what more do you want?

Girls in bikinis.
Maybe that's just me.

Alfie had his first experience of sand beneath his paws!

:) How did he like that?

How is he doing?

He seems to be doing well. Alan has popped round to see him this evening so I should have an update soon.

That's a rough sport. Not surprised he got a few "sore knocks".

They don't have much protection just a mouth guard. Peter also wears a scrum cap which at least ensures his ears don't get ripped off! It makes me smile when I see the amount of protective gear that is worn for american football.

Alan drank an entire bottle? (Minus one glass)

:laughing: I stopped at one glass as I might not have managed to stay awake for the whole film otherwise! I finished the last part of the bottle last night.

I've never seen Trainspotting. You know why? Neither do I.

You should watch it. It is a really powerful film. It will give you a different perspective on Scotland.

Girls in bikinis.
Maybe that's just me.

Maybe it's just you.. the poor girls would get hypothermia! Never a pretty look!

:) How did he like that?

You may have found out in that update but the internet was so slow I kept dozing off so I gave up at midnight! Before you say it no it wasn't just the Pinot Grigio! To answer your question Alfie seemed to quite enjoy his jaunt along the sands.

Last edited:

He seems to be doing well. Alan has popped round to see him this evening so I should have an update soon.

Good to hear!

They don't have much protection just a mouth guard. Peter also wears a scrum cap which at least ensures his ears don't get ripped off! It makes me smile when I see the amount of protective gear that is worn for american football.

And yet... American football has so many injuries. I think they hit harder because of the gear. Then again... I've seen some pretty vicious hits in rugby and Australian football.

You should watch it. It is a really powerful film. It will give you a different perspective on Scotland.

I want to! It's been on my list forever.

Maybe it's just you.. the poor girls would get hypothermia! Never a pretty look!

Okay, Okay... They can wear a hat too.
Am I not magnanimous?

You may have found out in that update but the internet was so slow I kept dozing off that I gave up at midnight! Before you say it no it wasn't just the Pinot Grigio! To answer your question Alfie seemed to quite enjoy his jaunt along the sands.

Ugh. It's been really horrible of late. Off and on. You just never know when it's going... to... s.l.o.w.... d..o..w..n...

Last edited:
And yet... American football has so many injuries. I think they hit harder because of the gear. Then again... I've seen some pretty vicious hits in ruby and Australian football.

It might be that the extra equipment gives a false sense of security. There was a study in the US where head injuries were reduced by 30% when players trained without helmets.

I want to! It's been on my list forever.

When you do come back and let me know what you think.

Ugh. It's been really horrible of late. Off and on. You just never know when it's going... to... s.l.o.w.... d..o..w..n...

I'm glad it's not just me!

I loved the sea creatures we saw in the rock pools in Tofino. The starfish were huge. I'll try posting a link to the Raasay site and you can judge if it looks similar.

https://www.raasay-house.co.uk/coasteering-skye-scotland/

Well, kinda, but not really. We I was comparing coasteering to tide pooling, I didn't know that coasteering actually got one INTO the water! We typically don't do that. We just amble along the rocky places and look into the tidepools perhaps getting our feet wet up to our knees or such. Coasteering looks fun, but.... COLD!!

You tell him, he'll maybe listen to you as a medical professional.

Heh. I doubt it.
36582162284_7fa7276eaa_c.jpg

This really looks quite a lot like the area I live in. Just lovely!

I really love this photo. Alfie looks so engaged and in his element.
I don't know if you are familiar with the poem 'Leisure' by William Henry Davies. These cows reminded me of the opening lines. I dedicate this to all the busy people here who need to take some time to stand and stare.

That was quite a lovely poem! I am most definitely in the "too busy" camp these day. And can't wait to take it down a notch, or 2, or 2,000 in 40 days when I get to Disney.

I've seen some pretty vicious hits in ruby

Your wife hits people?!

A princess and a fastpass to meet her. :rolleyes1

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Might be a while.

I'll still be here! I actually quite fancy watching it again...it's been a while.

No. I saw a thread on it a while back. Everyone's complaining.

Obviously those who hadn't dozed off!

A princess and a fastpass to meet her. :rolleyes1

That would work well. Come on Disney get your act together. The UK Pavilion needs a castle with a beach. The children could play on the beach until it's time to meet Merida. Why don't they employ us as imagineers?

Excellent! Definitely seems to be quite happy there!

Yes, he really enjoyed it.

We typically don't do that.

You mean you have more sense!

We I was comparing coasteering to tide pooling, I didn't know that coasteering actually got one INTO the water!

It does look fun! Peter was in his element. Just think of the waivers you would have to fill out.

Coasteering looks fun, but.... COLD!!

I know they wore wet suits but I'm not sure how cold it felt. I'll need to ask Pete.

Heh. I doubt it.

True!

This really looks quite a lot like the area I live in. Just lovely!

I did plan out a trip for next summer to the West coast. It looked lovely. Unfortunately exchange rates are still not good so we have done the sensible thing and booked a holiday in Europe. I will come out some year.

I really love this photo. Alfie looks so engaged and in his element.

Me too! I currently have it as my cover photo on Facebook. Alfie really did enjoy the walks. It is lovely to see as when he first came to stay with us he would just stop walking after about 15 minutes and refuse to move. I remember getting a call from Alan to come and rescue him.

That was quite a lovely poem!

I didn't realise it would be unknown by some folk here. Moments in life often make me think of poems and songs.

I am most definitely in the "too busy" camp these day.

You most definitely are! Often there is very little you can do about it. I know I have to be realistic about what new commitments I take on.

And can't wait to take it down a notch, or 2, or 2,000 in 40 days when I get to Disney.

You seemed to find a good balance on your last Disney trip. Things like stopping to watch musicians helps to slow down the pace. That is so soon!

Your wife hits people?!

Vicious ones at that!

I left off with Alfie enjoying his first walk on a beach. We headed off the beach and walked along the promenade.

When we reached the end of the walk we stopped at a bench and Alfie enjoyed watching everyone passing by on the beach below.

We headed back to the car and got Alfie a drink of water. I had researched some possible dog friendly options and decided we would drive to 'The Chestnut Tree' coffee shop in a little place called Glencarse. I went in first to see if they had a table. The waitress pointed out a reserved table and apologised that they had no available tables. I asked about the vacant table in the corner that needed cleared. I went out to get Alan and Alfie while she cleared the table.
This was Alfie's first experience of being in a coffee shop. Since we had the corner table I asked if it was OK to bring in Alfie's bed. We did get him to settle for a bit but I think the sounds and smells were a bit over stimulating and he stood up again and started panting. The couple beside us decided to leave their bacon and I think Alfie found the smell a bit too much.

I ordered a brie and cranberry panini and I think Alan opted for ham and cheese.

Alfie did settle down once they cleared the plates with the bacon on it. They did have some lovely looking home baking but we decided it was probably not fair on Alfie to stay much longer so we went back to the cottage for a coffee. Well I drank coffee - Alan and Alfie don't drink it.

Alan headed out to a supermarket to pick up a few items including more dog food. I took Alfie out for another walk.

Then back to our cottage - Alfie was ready for a sleep!

I had checked online for local options for takeaway food and located an indian restaurant in a village that wouldn't mean a big detour for Alan. We arranged that Alan would phone when he was finishing up at the supermarket and I would place the order for him to pick up.

We chose one our favourites Chicken Tikka with some vegetable pakora.

In the morning we packed up and left the cottage at 10am. The drive home was only about an hour and a half. After a while I left the motorway in order to drive through some of the Stirlingshire villages. One of my planned roads was closed and there were some slow drivers but it was a bit more interesting than the motorway. I had just pulled into the driveway when Alan arrived. He took a different route in order to try out the new Queensferry Crossing.

Last edited:
Looking at your pictures brought back lovely memories of my trip last year. I am really hoping to go again this coming July but I may need top pass sadly. My granddaughters school class may get permission to go to Italy in March and I will get to chaperone. I can't do 2 Europe trips in one year. I should know by Christmas time. Either trip would be fantastic but Italy would be an awesome opportunity for my granddaughter.

When we reached the end of the walk we stopped at a bench and Alfie enjoyed watching everyone passing by on the beach below.

Dogs just love people watching as much as people do.
Except they don't have to be discreet about it!

they had no available tables. I asked about the vacant table in the corner that needed cleared.

:sad2:

This was Alfie's first experience of being in a coffee shop.

I've never taken any of our dogs in a store or shop.

We did get him to settle for a bit but I think the sounds and smells were a bit over stimulating

Not surprised!

The couple beside us decided to leave their bacon and I think Alfie found the smell a bit too much.

Alfie and I are the same, apparently.

I ordered a brie and cranberry panini and I think Alan opted for ham and cheese.

Holy crap that looks good!

Well I drank coffee - Alan and Alfie don't drink it.

:laughing: ok.

Squirrel. Riiiiiight about....

Pretty.

Love the depth in that photo.

We chose one our favourites Chicken Tikka with some vegetable pakora.

Must try this some day. Never had it. Actually have had very, very little Indian food.

The drive home was only about an hour and a half.

Not bad.

The couple beside us decided to leave their bacon and I think Alfie found the smell a bit too much.
I always find bacon distracting too.

Alan headed out to a supermarket to pick up a few items including more dog food. I took Alfie out for another walk.
Definitely a lovely area to go for a walk.

After a while I left the motorway in order to drive through some of the Stirlingshire villages. One of my planned roads was closed and there were some slow drivers but it was a bit more interesting than the motorway.
Always nice to drive some different roads to see the scenery! Looks like it was a nice, relaxing getaway for you!

Looking at your pictures brought back lovely memories of my trip last year. I am really hoping to go again this coming July but I may need top pass sadly.

If you don't manage next year you can always come another year! Would you visit some other parts of Scotland next time?

My granddaughters school class may get permission to go to Italy in March and I will get to chaperone. I can't do 2 Europe trips in one year. I should know by Christmas time. Either trip would be fantastic but Italy would be an awesome opportunity for my granddaughter.

That's interesting that relatives can go as chaperones. Our school trips only have school staff on them. Have you been to Italy before?

Dogs just love people watching as much as people do.
Except they don't have to be discreet about it!

You see it's not just sheep or cows that have time to stand and stare.

Just as well staff have the benefit of us being solution- focused!

I've never taken any of our dogs in a store or shop.

Shops here tend to only allow guide dogs but there are a number of dog friendly cafes springing up.

Not surprised!

No it was quite a sensory overload - he did well considering. I did check there was no little dogs in before we went in.

Alfie and I are the same, apparently.

Yes, it seems you Alfie and Andy would find it difficult.

Holy crap that looks good!

It was very tasty!

Squirrel. Riiiiiight about....

Or possibly pheasant? We had fun the other morning when a squirrel ran across our path in the dark.

Yes, it was picturesque.

Love the depth in that photo.
th

Thanks! These are the things I notice when I take the time to stand and stare!

Must try this some day. Never had it. Actually have had very, very little Indian food.

I love Indian cuisine. We have some great indian restaurants. I love Chicken tikka where the chicken breast is marinated in a tikka sauce and then cooked in a Tandoor. The chicken is tender and lightly charred. Indian food is probably the most popular food in Scotland. Hopefully you'll get a chance to try it some day soon.

That is the good thing with Scotland it is pretty compact. Although it can be hard to see a lot of it easily without a car. I think that is the case in lots of countries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!