Getting a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound for pain

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
I need somewhere to vent because I’m so anxious I feel like I might pass out.

Many years ago I had a lump removed. It was totally benign, but it was big and required a decent sized cut to get out. I never got full feeling in that side.

In 2014 I started having pain in that breast. At that time I had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound and it showed absolutely nothing. The pain was kind of off and on after that, going away once I got my fibromyalgia under control and lost a bunch of weight.

I basically let myself go after our June trip and put all the weight back on. The pain has come back. It’s not constant, and isn’t just in one spot. Myself , my PCP, and my OB can not find any lumps. But my OB is sending me for another diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.

I’m terrified. I just saw my OB yesterday and have barely been able to eat or sleep since. I constantly feel like I’m going to pass out. I’m playing out worst case scenarios in my head. I sent a note to my PCP today about something for the anxiety.

I don’t know what I want out of this post. Prayers? Encouragement? Please don’t post anything negative. I know what it could be.

Thanks for listening.

I wouldn't worry about it, it could be just growing pains. I have very lumpy breasts and have to have diagnostic mamos and ultrasounds every 6 months. Have had two biopsys - on one each yea me - both were just lumps. My doctor says I just have a lot of junk. It's a good sign that your first one was benign, relax and don't let your head get in the way.

I wouldn't worry about it, it could be just growing pains. I have very lumpy breasts and have to have diagnostic mamos and ultrasounds every 6 months. Have had two biopsys - on one each yea me - both were just lumps. My doctor says I just have a lot of junk. It's a good sign that your first one was benign, relax and don't let your head get in the way.
Thank you so much! Your kind words brought me to tears.

So I posted on a local FB mom’s group and several of them responded that they have been through the same thing and are fine. Between that and prayers, I’m starting to feel a smidge less panicked.

Good luck and again, don't worry about it. I know that's easier said then done but worrying isn't going to make it better.

I have no personal experience in this, but I do offer many thoughts and prayers of support.

You say you had pain like this before when your weight was up. Since you have put on a big of weight, the pain is back. Perhaps that is what is causing the pain again.
Hopefully you will have your tests soon and your mind can be at rest. Sometimes, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to our health. Take care!

I don't have any good answers for you, and I know I'm probably much older than you (I'm 56), but I've been getting breast pain on and off recently. I actually haven't done anything about it because my last mammogram was good but based on all my symptoms it sounds like a duct may be getting mildly inflamed. Apparently, that's more common as you age and your breast loses elasticity. They "open" up a bit and can then get irritated or even a mild infection.

The other thing is, since this may be tied to weight gain, it could be that some of the foods or substances are exacerbating fibrocystic breast disease. When I was younger, I had this happen very badly, pain was significant. I was drinking a lot of caffeine. I was told to cut the majority of it out and use Vitamin E. It worked for sure.

Thank you all! I’ve cut back on caffeine the last 3 days and have seen improvement, even though my period is coming soon. I’m also noticing some skin pain where my bra is touching, similar to my fibromyalgia pain in other areas of my body.

About a month ago I was told on a Friday that I had to have a diagnostic mamo because they found 3 small masses in my breasts. It was the longest 4 days of my life. I had this happen previously but for some reason this time really freaked me out. They were benign masees and all is fine, but I hear you and completely understnad what you're going through. It sucks and it's hard to not let your brain go to the worst case scenario. I'm sure it will all be fine and at this time next week this will all be behind you. Sorry you're going through this!

Well, tomorrow is the day! I’m terrified and ready to get it over with. I’m talking to some people on a fibromyalgia group, lots of women there have experienced the same thing. It has given me hope.

It’s been almost 2 months since I had my mammogram. I’ve have kept my coffee intake to 8 oz a day (except for a few really bad days) and the pain has been kept to a minimum. I haven’t been so good about avoiding sugar, but that hasn’t seemed to impact it as much. Just wanted to put this out there for any ladies dealing with the same thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!