Getting around from an MK-area resort on Marathon day

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I currently have a Savanna view studio at Kidani for Marathon Weekend. (I am thinking positive. So no negative vibes.)

For the same price, I can get a standard view studio at the Poly (which has always been my dream resort), but I am wondering if it would be impossible to go anywhere other than the MK from there on Marathon day. I currently plan to go to AK on Sunday (I’m just doing the half, so I have all of Sunday free). Would that be impossible from the Poly? (I would be using Disney transportation - I have not had a car since moving to NYC in 2006 and do not plan to start again by renting a car.)

Thoughts?

Epcot would work as well with the monorail at the Poly. Definitely pack patience with AK though. You can and will get there however it would certainly take longer than normal due to road closures.

Epcot would work as well with the monorail at the Poly. Definitely pack patience with AK though. You can and will get there however it would certainly take longer than normal due to road closures.

So would I be better off staying at Kidani since it is at least the closest to AK? I’m not looking to change my parks (other than maybe skipping my tradition of Epcot on race day afternoon because of all the walls and stuff). Just trying to determine how much of a cluster doing anything other than MK (or Epcot if the Epcot monorail is running by then) would be.

So would I be better off staying at Kidani since it is at least the closest to AK? I’m not looking to change my parks (other than maybe skipping my tradition of Epcot on race day afternoon because of all the walls and stuff). Just trying to determine how much of a cluster doing anything other than MK (or Epcot if the Epcot monorail is running by then) would be.
That’s really up to you. I would say if you go with the Poly just be prepared to leave extra early to get to AK.

That’s really up to you. I would say if you go with the Poly just be prepared to leave extra early to get to AK.

Thanks. Sounds like I am better off being closer to AK since that is where I plan to go on Sunday.

We have not done AK during marathon weekend but I would believe that the park and the hotel would both have travel issues. Last years course probably helped make travel to and from the AK area easier but who knows if that route will return. World Dr should be one of the first roads opened and the monorail access also helps so that would give the edge to Poly.

Not sure if your are locked into AK park for sure that morning but it is probably one of the Parks that gets the most impact from the race. Since I personally and many others have jumped on rides in AK during the marathon you may find people in lines when you arrive. The course also covers Dinoland, Asia and the edge of Africa. That means the latter corrals are still passing through when the parks are open and taking up walkway space.

Hope that helps, happy planning.

We have not done AK during marathon weekend but I would believe that the park and the hotel would both have travel issues. Last years course probably helped make travel to and from the AK area easier but who knows if that route will return. World Dr should be one of the first roads opened and the monorail access also helps so that would give the edge to Poly.

Not sure if your are locked into AK park for sure that morning but it is probably one of the Parks that gets the most impact from the race. Since I personally and many others have jumped on rides in AK during the marathon you may find people in lines when you arrive. The course also covers Dinoland, Asia and the edge of Africa. That means the latter corrals are still passing through when the parks are open and taking up walkway space.

Hope that helps, happy planning.

Since my primary interests are Pandora and Safari I figure I will be ok. (Pandora is typically way off the race course and the Safari can be stopped by animals at any time so I figure I am probably ok there. (I do the other rides but I can do them later). I’m also not allergic to lines like so many people seem to be.

My schedule as of now is Expo/AK, MK, Half/Epcot (though that could change...it is just race day tradition), AK, and AK morning to early afternoon on departure day. (I’m a weird one who hates Star Wars and Toy Story and refuses to waste a park ticket on the 2-3 things I would do at Studios).

I guess I could switch and do Expo/AK, AK, Half/whatever, MK, and AK morning-lunch... But MK the day before a Disney race has been tradition too. Plus I figure MK will get swamped after the Marathon for people to get their castle and medal pics.

Getting to AK on Sunday should be fine--depending on what the course is. If the course is like this year --going to Blizzard Beach, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Saturday may be more problematic if you want to get somewhere early in he morning. I stayed at AK with my daughter when I did Dopey in 2018. Saturday we went to MK after the half. It took forever. We gave up on the buses after a long wait and took the car to TTC. Big mistake as the monorail went down and they had to bus everyone over (of course, soon they'll have the path cmpleted so you could actually alk from TTC to Poly to GF to MK). Traffic on World Drive will be messy until the crush from the closure is over. Studios or Epcot wouldn't be too bad, especially now that you could go Studios and SkyLiner over to Epcot. And if you were waiting o late morning or afternoon, it shouldn't be an issue.

Annoyingly, RD put their event guide on their own system and they only have the most recent race. But here's a link to a blog that shows the road closure list/maps. It will give you an idea of how long things will be messy.

https://thecastlerun.com/rundisney-marathon-weekend-road-closures-course-maps-and-bus-schedules/

Getting to AK on Sunday should be fine--depending on what the course is. If the course is like this year --going to Blizzard Beach, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Saturday may be more problematic if you want to get somewhere early in he morning. I stayed at AK with my daughter when I did Dopey in 2018. Saturday we went to MK after the half. It took forever. We gave up on the buses after a long wait and took the car to TTC. Big mistake as the monorail went down and they had to bus everyone over (of course, soon they'll have the path cmpleted so you could actually alk from TTC to Poly to GF to MK). Traffic on World Drive will be messy until the crush from the closure is over. Studios or Epcot wouldn't be too bad, especially now that you could go Studios and SkyLiner over to Epcot. And if you were waiting o late morning or afternoon, it shouldn't be an issue.

Annoyingly, RD put their event guide on their own system and they only have the most recent race. But here's a link to a blog that shows the road closure list/maps. It will give you an idea of how long things will be messy.

https://thecastlerun.com/rundisney-marathon-weekend-road-closures-course-maps-and-bus-schedules/

Thanks! I’m doing the half. So I won’t be going anywhere until after I’ve finished (2:40ish if all goes well) and I have ice bathed and showered. Lol. Sunday is my “free day”.

@Dug720
The questions you need to ask yourself are

1) How much time are you planning to spend at the resort you stay at?

2)Will you forever kick yourself for not taking the opportunity to stay at the Poly? (Temper this with you will get to stay there, but may not really get to experience what you've always dreamed about if the monorail/restaurants/trader Sam's are not open. Would you be satisfied with a partial experience?)

3) Do you have any desire to change what park you visit on your departure date?

Otherwise, it seems like you have a very Animal Kingdom focused trip and staying at Kidani would allow you to more easily visit the park, as well as keep the theme going with your accommodations. If staying at the Poly has been a dream, however, you might decide to retool your itinerary to have that make more sense.

@Dug720
The questions you need to ask yourself are

1) How much time are you planning to spend at the resort you stay at?

2)Will you forever kick yourself for not taking the opportunity to stay at the Poly? (Temper this with you will get to stay there, but may not really get to experience what you've always dreamed about if the monorail/restaurants/trader Sam's are not open. Would you be satisfied with a partial experience?)

3) Do you have any desire to change what park you visit on your departure date?

Otherwise, it seems like you have a very Animal Kingdom focused trip and staying at Kidani would allow you to more easily visit the park, as well as keep the theme going with your accommodations. If staying at the Poly has been a dream, however, you might decide to retool your itinerary to have that make more sense.

Thanks. Good points. It would definitely be easier if there were more food options at Kidani (like if the Mara and/or Boma were open at Jambo). Not having a car - and not driving (have not since 2006 - renting a car in Florida is NOT the way I would want to start again) period - makes that more challenging. (Though I think the not-full-experience due to closures thing can be said for almost any of them TBH looking at closures.)

AK is 100% my favorite park which is why I have so much time planned there. Epcot is second favorite but it is a mess of construction right now and I am even questioning going there Saturday afternoon (would replace with MK if I do decide not to go). Studios are a non-factor.

This will not be the last time I am there, so it’s not like a once in a lifetime trip.

It is possible/likely that things will not be back to normal by race weekend so if that is a deal killer, as previously mentioned, it is understandable.

There is also a good chance that the parks may have limited operating hours so that could mean more resort time. I’ll add that that the poly property can be nice just to hang around. Sitting near the pools or the lake with this view isn’t so bad in your downtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!