Getting outpriced, am I the only one?

tinkandonaldfans

DIS Veteran
we sailed back in 2011 for £550 for a 3 night cruise in category 4e. We went again in 2013 for £820 for same cruise and category. For this year the price is now £1250 for the same again. That’s an increase of 78% in 7 years! Concerned that we won’t ever get to go again at this rate! Am I crazy or is everyone able to afford this kind of price?

Definitely not the only one, you just missed all the other posts about the same thing. ;)

A thread regarding increasing, some would say insane, prices pops up regularly. I love DCL too, but we went with MSC this past summer when a concierge cabin in the Med was less than half of what a none-concierge on DCL would have cost.

DCL is expensive, especially for us as we can only sail during school holidays. We never had the opportunity to sail when the prices were lower, so the high pricing that exists now just seems like typical Disney pricing to me.

When I compare DCL to a deluxe resort trip to WDW for the same number of days, the pricing is similar- in fact, DCL can be cheaper when you factor in the cost of food & park tickets at WDW. Yes, you can do WDW much cheaper by staying at a value, moderate or offsite resort, but that's not really a valid comparison as only a deluxe resort offers an experience that's comparable to the comfort and service you get on DCL.

I sail with my young son and we love Disney, so we're not interested in sailing any other lines right now. I'll pay for DCL as long is it delivers an experience we love.

Last edited:
We can only afford the 4 nite bahama cruises. And we are very well off. House paid off, upper level middle class. Doing that this year with 5 nights wdw. We are expats in Germany and I was checking out the DCL british isles and Med costs. FORGET it. We are paying almost half for same itinerary on the Oasis summer 2019 for our med cruise. everyone has different budgets. But for a family of four flying from the US to cruise DCL is a lot of money. 8000 just for cruise. It has nothing to do with budgeting. A min 10,000 for a week more line 15,000 is just at levels that simply put only the „rich“ can afford. A typical middle class family with mortage, cars, college costs that is a lot of cash to budget in. Almost impossible.

Definitely not the only one, you just missed all the other posts about the same thing. ;)

Happened for us a couple years ago. The value just isn't there for us when Royal gives just as good of an experience (and better in some ways for us) than Disney.

Yes, you can do WDW much cheaper by staying at a value, moderate or offsite resort, but that's not really a valid comparison as only a deluxe resort offers an experience that's comparable to the comfort and service you get on DCL.

My comparisons are different.

No reason I would price a deluxe when we own Dvc. And IMO a theme park visit isn’t something to compare to a cruise unless you don’t love being at sea. I compare Disney to other cruise lines. And I find Disney lacking, especially given what their cruises cost now.

No reason I would price a deluxe when we own Dvc. And IMO a theme park visit isn’t something to compare to a cruise...
Disney is Disney, and its pricing is always high. Disney cruises cost a lot more than other mass market cruises, just as WDW costs a lot more than Six Flags (and obviously, pricing a WDW vacation in which you don't have to pay for lodging due to owning DVC isn't comparable to the typical trip, in which a person must pay), just as Adventures By Disney costs a lot more than traveling via a similar yet non-Disney tour provider.

If you want a Disney experience, the price is high. If you want a non-Disney cruise experience, you have a lot more price options, just as you have more price options at a non-Disney theme park or a non-Disney land-based tour.

For us the Disney difference makes a big difference at the theme parks and on the ships, which is why we pay more. But to each his own. DCL is not right for everyone.

When I went on our first DCL cruise (a 7-day in 2014), we got a Concierge 1-room suite and paid full price for it, just under $12,000 (it was a one-time super splurge after a huge year for my company, but it was well worth it). We booked it in early 2013 I think. The sail date was around April 7th, 2014, heart of spring break.

Now that same cruise in that same room costs $20,000+, almost double the price. Not only can we not afford that, but the smaller Concierge 300 sqr foot room (half the size) is now in the $12k range! CRAZY.

Here are my thoughts on why this is happening:

1. Supply and demand:

Disney still only has 4 ships and demand keeps going up, driving prices up yearly. Disney needs to build those 3 new ships ASAP! Prices will not go down, but they may stabilize if Disney can expand their offerings. Otherwise it just becomes a cruise for the same rich people over and over and it makes the normal Joe not want to "do Disney" anymore. Bad for their brand. Disneyland (in California) right now is having the same exact problem, and unfortunately they have no room to expand. Annual prices just go up and up and up much faster than the Walt Disney World rate. Expansion can do a world of good for Disney AND for us here. It's a win-win in a good economy.

2. The 1% (or 5%):

"The rich get richer" is a idiom which is generally true right now. As the top earners continue to make more, and the middle class get pushed down via inflation, housing prices, etc, Disney is becoming more of a rich-mans vacation. It's in the parks, it's at the movies, it's on the cruises.... it's all getting more expensive. The top earners can afford to pay the $50,000 for the Royal Suite. Heck, Disney could make it $100k and it'd still sell, why not? When a person with $5 million now has $10 million, why not double the price of your rooms? Not sure how to solve this one, and let's just leave it at that.

3. Stock price:

Disney is constantly pushed to deliver on quarterly and yearly earnings, and they must continue to increase prices to show "growth" and "profits" for shareholders on Wall Street to be happy. Apple is running into the same problem.... an iPhone X now costs over $1000. Why? To keep margins up and keep shareholders happy. Eventually this model will break, but until then, prices go up and up and up until people stop paying. When the economy is good (like it is now), it just gets higher.

Anyway, my opinions.

Ethan

we sailed back in 2011 for £550 for a 3 night cruise in category 4e. We went again in 2013 for £820 for same cruise and category. For this year the price is now £1250 for the same again. That’s an increase of 78% in 7 years! Concerned that we won’t ever get to go again at this rate! Am I crazy or is everyone able to afford this kind of price?
You are a couple of years late!! Lol

No your not the only one.

I have done 9 cruises with DCL and last year we decided to cruise with RCI so we could do a comparison and because they were so much cheaper. This year we are booked with Princess Cruises and have booked a mini-suite for £1600 for 14 days (Mediterranean cruise). I am actually more excited to go with different cruise lines so i can see what they have to offer than to go with DCL and i never thought i would say that. :eek:

Some can't afford this kind of price and some can but just won't out of principle (Hi!!! :wave:).

I think you got your maths wrong. It's a 127% increase from 2011 to 2018. I'm not sure where you came up with 78%. :confused3

Also, I think part of your issue is the US Dollar has appreciated vs. the pound in the past 7 years. DCL cruises for non-Americans are going to be more expensive compared to what us Yanks pay.

MUN

We can only afford the 4 nite bahama cruises. And we are very well off. House paid off, upper level middle class. Doing that this year with 5 nights wdw. We are expats in Germany and I was checking out the DCL british isles and Med costs. FORGET it. We are paying almost half for same itinerary on the Oasis summer 2019 for our med cruise. everyone has different budgets. But for a family of four flying from the US to cruise DCL is a lot of money. 8000 just for cruise. It has nothing to do with budgeting. A min 10,000 for a week more line 15,000 is just at levels that simply put only the „rich“ can afford. A typical middle class family with mortage, cars, college costs that is a lot of cash to budget in. Almost impossible.

how many people are on that cruise? I'm paying $2,000 for a verandah on a 4 night dream. It's just myself and my son but no kid breaks for me since I don't have another adult.

We have never cruised Disney because I feel priced out! Every time I think I can do it, I price one and quickly change my mind. I can do WDW for much longer, in a deluxe. And there are other vacations that we can take for less. I'm sure we would LOVE it, but I just can't do it. We do have a cruise on RCL booked for this summer.

DCL is expensive, especially for us as we can only sail during school holidays. We never had the opportunity to sail when the prices were lower, so the high pricing that exists now just seems like typical Disney pricing to me.

When I compare DCL to a deluxe resort trip to WDW for the same number of days, the pricing is similar- in fact, DCL can be cheaper when you factor in the cost of food & park tickets at WDW. Yes, you can do WDW much cheaper by staying at a value, moderate or offsite resort, but that's not really a valid comparison as only a deluxe resort offers an experience that's comparable to the comfort and service you get on DCL.

I sail with my young son and we love Disney, so we're not interested in sailing any other lines right now. I'll pay for DCL as long is it delivers an experience we love.
When I sail with just my youngest son prices are high but reasonable. 4 or 5 people in a cabin and prices are double or triple or even quadruple if your looking at Europe cruises. I'll still take my son once a year during the off season, but I can't justify it for my whole family.

how many people are on that cruise? I'm paying $2,000 for a verandah on a 4 night dream. It's just myself and my son but no kid breaks for me since I don't have another adult.
We are 4 people. 2019 we have planned 4252.00 Oasis med cruise 7 nights. Balcony ( water view) 2 adults, 2 kids ( 14/13). Disney med are about double if not more.

This year 4 night Disney 2 adults 2kids dream bahamas 3576. ocean view 9a.

A thread regarding increasing, some would say insane, prices pops up regularly. I love DCL too, but we went with MSC this past summer when a concierge cabin in the Med was less than half of what a none-concierge on DCL would have cost.
Do you have a review of that? I'd love to hear about MSC's concierge experience... I have heard mixed reviews but I don't think we can afford the mediterranean with DCL so looking at other options.

We have never cruised Disney because I feel priced out! Every time I think I can do it, I price one and quickly change my mind. I can do WDW for much longer, in a deluxe. And there are other vacations that we can take for less. I'm sure we would LOVE it, but I just can't do it. We do have a cruise on RCL booked for this summer.
It’s such a totally different vacation then WDW. It’s like trying to compare a visit to Washington DC with all the Smithsonian museums to a vacation at Yellowstone National Park. Sure they’re owned by the same company/government, but yet nothing alike. I hope sometime you will find a chance to take a Disney Cruise. Perhaps you’ll find a more fairly priced off-season (while the kids are in school) or a last minute deal during those same time periods. This many people, willing to pay this price, has to say something about the actual perceived value when you think about return customers. I really hope you get a chance to go you’re missing out on an off a lot.

We were thinking the same thing until we tried Carnival - Breeze (2 years ago) and then Norwegian last month! It is now crystal clear for us, Disney Cruises are worth every penny. We are done trying a cheaper line to see if Disney is REALLY worth it. For us, it is... Better service, better rooms, cleaner and WAY better food! Doing Disney again in January 2019 and we'll NEVER try another cruise line again!

Some can't afford this kind of price and some can but just won't out of principle (Hi!!! :wave:).
Yes I think it comes down to wether you can afford it or not. There's no shame in not being able to afford a 15k European cruise. Most Americans cannot. Obviously there's enough people that can because they keep selling them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter