Getting time off from work

GirlDreamer

DIS Veteran
I'm just curious how everyone does it with getting time off from work when they book their holiday over a year in advance as technically you can book your holiday like 20 months in advance (depending on when they release them) if you book as soon as Disney releases the UK offer and you want to go say in December the year after.

Are you allowed to book it that early or do you just chance it and book your WDW holiday and hope you'll get the time off work?

I'm just asking because we can't book our holidays more than a year in advance unless they decide to release them early. Christmas is an entirely different scenario altogether as they'll only allow us to put in requests in October the same year and then they'll let us know in November wether we've been allowed it or not. Me and DH really wants to go for New Years one year, and we're contemplating doing it for Dec 2020/January 2021, but if we do that I'll have to talk to my manager first to see if they can give me early permission as there's no way I could book a NYE holiday only a month in advance.

I can book my leave as early as I like... I generally have a quick word in the office first to check that it won't clash with anyone else's plans and then I go for it!

I booked my september 2018 holiday in about April 2017 and put in on the calendar and double checked it was ok with my boss about 2 months ago (tough luck if not, it's booked, I'm going :rotfl:) I'm fortunate that I work in a veterinary surgery with 6-8 people sharing the same holiday calendar and the rule is that we can only have 1 person off at a time and as I manage the rota and diary for most of the staff, I know if the week is free or not way in advance.

our children are all teachers, so summer isn't an issue....they can take as many weeks as they like...

as for us, my husband is his own boss and works 24/7/365 and always has...
he takes his laptop and now his iphone so is able to work at WDW...
before the iphone it was much more difficult....
we had to take long afternoon breaks so he could go back to the resort to work....but that was fine...afternoon rests were always welcome..
and poor guy, he tends to stay up all night long working....so the holidays are tough on him...
now with the advent of the iphone, he works non-stop all the time, even in the parks....so that can get annoying...
but at least he can come with us on our 4 week extravaganza blowout vacations...

as for me, for years i was a stay at home mom, so that was easy..
when i went back to work, i was only salaried for 3 years...i couldn't take being at their beck and call, so asked to freelance for them...
they refused, so i quit.....two months later they called and offered me the freelancing position..
i worked for them full time, but i could take vacations as i pleased and i did....
i recognize not everyone can do that, but it's the only way i could keep my sanity...
there's a downside of course....as a freelancer, you don't get benefits....but for me the pros outweigh the cons..

I put it in the Team Outlook Calendar, then book it as soon as the system lets me, which is usually Oct/Nov the year before!

I'm a teacher and DH is retired, DS is at uni. The downside of course is that prices are always sky high when we're able to go.

We booked three weeks in September 2019, but had decided that's what we wanted to do back in September 2016. So I basically spoke to my manager, said that's the holiday I'd like and he agreed. Since then I just occassionally mentioned the holiday, to say 'you agreed, that's still happening' and now it's booked. I think just being open and upfront is the best way to go ahead. The sooner they know after all, the better they can plan for your absence if neccessary as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter