Getting to the Airport: Do you use a car service, Uber, your own...

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
car, bus, a ride from family or friends? We find parking at San Francisco (SFO) is just as expensive as a car service. We hire a sedan round trip to the airport for 175.00 round trip. That is 20% tip included. DH usually gives the driver another $20 (would you?). They seem to be very grateful, so I was wondering if giving extra is done by most?

It would be $225 to park the car this time at the airport long term parking. They do have offsite shuttle services which run approx. $150 & up. Then we have the inconvenience of waiting for the shuttle when we could be through security already, or on the return trip half way home. DH also doesn't like the idea of the car could be out in the hot sun for over a week if we don't find anything available in covered parking, which is also extra $ to a lot of the shuttle places. He likes to self park instead of giving the valet his key all week.
Just wondering what all of you do, and how much you spend on transport to the airport!

The airport we fly out of is an hour from our house, so we park at the airport. I like having my car waiting for me when we get back.

We Uber, it is cheaper for us than parking at SFO or a car service. If we fly out of SJC then we sometimes park there, especially if it is a shorter trip, as their parking rates aren't as bad as SFO.

We get a ride from family and friends.
And we do the same for them.
No sense in paying for a car service, ubrer, bus, or driving and parking our car when you have family and frennds that are more than wwilling to help out.

We Uber, it is cheaper for us than parking at SFO or a car service. If we fly out of SJC then we sometimes park there, especially if it is a shorter trip, as their parking rates aren't as bad as SFO.
how far are you from the airport? We are about an hour could be hour and a half or more with traffic in the morning. Does Uber charge more if there is a traffic jam? Doesn't seem fair to the driver if not, especially in CA. Their time is money, plus all that extra gas.

how far are you from the airport? We are about an hour could be hour and a half or more with traffic in the morning. Does Uber charge more if there is a traffic jam? Doesn't seem fair to the driver if not, especially in CA. Their time is money, plus all that extra gas.

We live about 40 miles South of SFO and I have taken it from home and is usually cheaper than your car service rate but can change based on demand. I don't exactly know how the Uber algorithm works in regards to unexpected traffic, but I have not had my fare increase in the past when we have gotten stuck, which unfortunately happens as you know. I usually drive to my husband's job and we both Uber from there, so we are only about 20 miles South of SFO at that point, making it a more economical choice. We also never fly out of SFO in the morning, we always take the redeye out of SFO, otherwise we would just fly out of SJC as it is closer and easier to deal with, unfortunately we can only get red eye flights to the East Coast places we go out of SFO. If you have the Uber app you can periodically check to see the rates that they give to the airport and how much they vary. I learned the hard way NEVER to take a taxi home from SFO, the surcharges to leave San Francisco are insane, and I spent much more getting home that one time than I have ever paid round trip with Uber.

We used to live 10 miles from the airport so then we would just hire a taxi to and from the airport. That was way cheaper then paying for the car to be in the parking lot. Now, we are about an hour from the airport. So, we now drive to the airport but instead of using the airport parking at $7.00/day, we use Park-n-Go at $5.00/day and they pick you up from your car and take back directly to your car instead of walking around the parking lot looking for your car.

My mom uses Park, Stay and Fly packages that a lot of hotels around the airports use. If it is that expensive to park your car at SFO, you may want to check into that. The airport is about an hours drive from my mom's house but by her staying at the hotel, the room is cheaper than leaving the car the airport for the length of her stay. Plus to her, she get free breakfast and a free shuttle to and from the airport. I realize this Park, Stay and Fly doesn't work for all but just throwing it out there as an option.

We are 12ish miles from the Pittsburgh airport and we usually park at the airport or at a park and ride near the airport depending on the time of year an how much time we have.

The next time we go to Disney this summer, the kids and I are flying down earlier then dh, so he will probably drop us off and then he will park at the airport so we only have one car on the way home.

I live about 7-8 minutes from John Wayne airport (SNA). If I am flying out of there, I can usually find someone to drive me there. If in a pinch, I would use UBER.

For LAX, it is about 45-60 minutes away (on a good day), and I typically take UBER. It is just easier I have found. I don't want my car parked up there for a week or more and I do not like to ask family to go that far out of the way to take me to the airport. Especially since it is usually pretty early in the AM or late at night. I used to use Super Shuttle but honestly much prefer UBER since I was not fond of the shared ride thing.

We are about an hour from the Philly airport and had almost always used an offsite parking lot w/ a shuttle until a few years ago.

There is an offsite lot here that you go to their location (a few miles from the airport) and their driver drives you to the airport in your car. When you return from your trip, they then pick you up in your car. You have the option to return the driver back to their location, or for a small fee ($13?) you can just leave directly from the airport and their driver will shuttle back.

My huband’s parents live only about 20 minutes from a metro airport, and we live about that far from a dinky regional one. Between the two we manage to get dropped off and picked up.

Wish we had family close by to count on, your all lucky that do!
Great savings!

We like having our car at our disposal to head home as soon as we land. So we drive our car
Our home airport is super easy, and cheap. We can park with less than 60 min to departure and have 50 min to wait at the gate.
If we go to Atlanta we do use an off site parking service that has a shuttle that picks you up at your car and has shuttles waiting at the airport all the time. They take us right back to our car

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!