#GettingChunky - A Nov 2019 F&W Dining Report! NEW 6/2 THE END our Last Day of Eating!

Loved your short but sweet report! Takumi Tei looks amazing! Hopefully we'll get to eat there someday in the near future. We have our fingers, and everything else crossed, that the F&W Festival will be taking place this year. Maybe if we all wish hard enough!

Hi Liesa!! We're doing well despite being on lockdown for so long. Hope it gets better soon! I need my life back! Hope all is well with you!

Yeah, I hear ya. So over it.

I'm a sucker for a Glow cube...and Mickey shaped ones especially!
Heh, I bust mine out just for fun on the occasional weekend.

ACtC-3f9Qe2sN7Z5xyPuCZ7TpmS48rq36B5Eb4WhNiO1W9nghOwr6lfYsTH2sEGmXKB8_3mzNPIlDLQVOwYxzxBok1P8uxWMChFIlYDPNHprj5t_-V2RZ3Gl4MFZz9FFebKnZQuuoUH2WlGhI8UE4kCqLih-jQ=w962-h721-no

Mmm, carbalicious!

Active Eats: Baked Shrimp and Scallop Scampi Dip with Sourdough Baguette

ACtC-3f45s9PB_nx96P8qdjclmB9yOdeW3OUcSWWDJgn3eIvIJ3dYgqekAEt-EFSW8dNt7VS5ZhHdoo5_H_USgmdHaNC_i0ogL3Xtkjhw0fQCnXfkdlP5-oAPnSN4dtfXfekJUaLMWY-cqKgTJUJsD6TDwaTKg=w541-h721-no
Absolutely adored this one! Soooo good!
From India: Madras Red Curry with Roasted Cauliflower, Baby Carrots, Chickpeas and Basmati Rice

ACtC-3e5tDjKzp5hUsDSdgl79Bh7Otto9VnRxo8pWPcSPru58B5rnzLKQ6zHh48E-3WcFNaKSUfTEbESM2BmBTYp5_FBuc-wwl9vRMEZej1N-D7BBUBEnhSsUMzVymdkC9BEswzuLeOzK-985qmQfm4aazxNEw=w541-h721-no

This one not so much. Generous portion, but just didn't care for it. Maybe I was too full by then to do it justice.

Steve and I both opted for the entree plus buffet. You can get your entree sans buffet but it's only a few dollars more. Plus it includes tea or juice so it is a no-brainer if you drink those, to select that option! :rotfl:

Well we made the exact opposite decision! :rotfl: There was way too much food as it was without the buffet, but then we can't eat like Chunkies....

Here's a size perspective. I thought it was a very generous portion!

That looks huge! The shrimp and ginormous, and with the grits, well I would just be over the top.

Steve got a vegetarian bowl. It had quinoa, sweet potatoes Eggs, kale, and vegan sausage. Honestly I thought I'd hate something like this but I tried it and i thought it was great.

I don't think "great" would be the word that I would use, quinoa is OK, so are eggs, but the rest to me is blech!

We thought Ale and Compass was really nice for breakfast and we'd love to come here again as we think it is a great deal!

This I think that we can agree on! :thumbsup2

We then had a meal over at our favorite Quick Service, Satuli Canteen. The Chicken Bowl over rice and beans is my favorite and I love the charred green onion vinaigrette! I always get this once on each trip. It's just so good and it's a healthy -ish meal

That's another one I think I'll disagree with you. I'm not a fan of black beans, and it all together looks way too healthyish.

Active Eats: Baked Shrimp and Scallop Scampi Dip with Sourdough Baguette

You got two scallops! We only got one.

I really liked the SPAM dish - it was salty and porky and the spicy mayo was a nice compliment. The tuna tataki was alright, I've definitely had better.

Fran might have liked that one. I would have preferred the tuna tataki, but sad that it wasn't that great.

From India: Madras Red Curry with Roasted Cauliflower, Baby Carrots, Chickpeas and Basmati Rice

Nope. Nopity, nope. Don't do cauliflower or Chickpeas.

I grabbed this last drink from Morocco before we headed out finally...

Nice, a little drinky drinky before the flight home.

We're still hungry for more! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Funny picture. :laughing:

We had a wonderful trip filled with amazing food. I can't wait until we're back in our happy place dining at our favorite places again. Who knows if there even will be a Food & Wine Festival this year. :(

As long as there isn't a second wave that is worse than the first one, I bet they would do F&W, maybe not so many special events, but the booths would be easy enough and a big money maker.

We have trips booked in August, Sept and November - it will be weird with no characters but at least there will be some magic for sure!

Wow! That's a lot of trips! At least I know I won't run out of TRs to read then!

What a great last food day. We had Ale and Compass for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. We didn't do the buffet but all the entrees were delicious. Jason has already requested we go back in November.

And love going out on a food and wine note. I so, so, so hope they have it this year. Its been 3 years since we last did Food and Wine and I need all the snacks and drinks in my life. Fingers crossed for us both!
We will definitely do Ale and Compass again if we're staying in the Epcot area!
Kari, as long as you don't make any ADRs I'm sure there will be something F&W related for you. 😉
You packed in so much tastiness into your last day!!!! So awesome that you were able to meet up with @MeghanEmily and Nathan, too.

And honestly, perfection that you got to hear "Bye, Bye, Bye" when it was time to leave. My one wedding reception regret is the note I forgot to give my DJ to play that as our last song :) I thought I was so clever!!!
It was so awesome seeing them again! We had a great time chatting and hanging out!

I just died when they played Bye Bye Bye. It actually made us late for ME. We had to take the next bus, LOL. I'm so bad.
Haha that's a really good idea for an end of reception song!!
And of course another FABULOUS dining TR from you!!! Always one of my favorites!!

DH and I are headed for a trip in Aug, then a family trip in December (our first during ANY holiday!!) and then February!!

I feel that these trips will also be quite different than our previous ones but I'll take a "version" of Disney!
Aw, thank you so much!!
I know, I feel like it won't be "old" Disney anymore. Every experience from now on will be different. I'm wondering if it will ever be the same again, or if we are to expect a level of social distancing going forward.
I remember that meal at Satu'li well! I'm pretty sure it was the one where you and Steve convinced Nathan that we had to go over our dining budget and try the tasting menu at Takumi Tei! :P ...worth it!
YES!!! Haha I'm glad we were the bad influence on your budget but it was so worth it wasn't it?!?
Unless.. you're at a Value. Then your options are a tad more... limited.
True, but values have the best food courts!
I think I maybe had this? Been too long, though, so I'm not even sure anymore.
I have this every time! You've probably had it!
OMG! You'll burst!
No, I won't! I ate some more at the airport!
Wow! Lots! That's great! :)
I hope these trips are still a go. I think the August trip will be a shock to the system. No FP? No parades? I will be confused. But I'm hoping that by November things will be a bit more relaxed. Unless there is a 2nd wave and then all hope is lost.
Awesome last day! I hope the trips you have planned for later this year turn out great :)
Thank you! I hope so too! Fingers crossed!
Loved your short but sweet report! Takumi Tei looks amazing! Hopefully we'll get to eat there someday in the near future. We have our fingers, and everything else crossed, that the F&W Festival will be taking place this year. Maybe if we all wish hard enough!
Thank you!! I really really really hope that F&W will be happening. Maybe a modified Food and Wine with fewer booths and no events. I'll take anything!

Yeah, I hear ya. So over it.
Totally.
Heh, I bust mine out just for fun on the occasional weekend.
How fun!! My nieces and nephews usually take them and they put them in places where I can't find them!
Absolutely adored this one! Soooo good!
It was so yummy!
This one not so much. Generous portion, but just didn't care for it. Maybe I was too full by then to do it justice.
It was my last dish too, and I wasn't as enamored of it as the first few I had, but good thing it was veggie-infused so it didn't feel so heavy.
Well we made the exact opposite decision! :rotfl: There was way too much food as it was without the buffet, but then we can't eat like Chunkies....
LOL! I have to live up to my name! Although, I did not finish my food.
That looks huge! The shrimp and ginormous, and with the grits, well I would just be over the top.
It was really big!
I don't think "great" would be the word that I would use, quinoa is OK, so are eggs, but the rest to me is blech!
I was surprised that I liked this. It's something that a new yorker would order...but since I no longer live in NY I don't eat as healthy as I used to. 😆
This I think that we can agree on! :thumbsup2
:flower3:
That's another one I think I'll disagree with you. I'm not a fan of black beans, and it all together looks way too healthyish.
It does, doesn't it? But it really is just like chicken n rice with some sauce and slaw on it. But it's tasty!
You got two scallops! We only got one.
Maybe it was a very big one!
Fran might have liked that one. I would have preferred the tuna tataki, but sad that it wasn't that great.
Yeah, I didn't think it had the best tasting tuna.
Nope. Nopity, nope. Don't do cauliflower or Chickpeas.
Funny! I used to not eat chickpeas except for in hummus but now I find that I do like them and started cooking with them during quarantine.
Nice, a little drinky drinky before the flight home.
::yes::
As long as there isn't a second wave that is worse than the first one, I bet they would do F&W, maybe not so many special events, but the booths would be easy enough and a big money maker.
I think it would be a good idea especially as they are going to have lower attendance and need to make some money!!
Wow! That's a lot of trips! At least I know I won't run out of TRs to read then!
Well, they are all dependent on how the situation is down there. I'll have to see how people's reviews are once the parks are opened. The thing is, I am using DVC points for all the trips and July's park opening would be past my day to bank the points. I definitely have to make it down in August because those are with rented points, but our Sept one is based on whether or not our cruise is going to happen. So eveyrthing is still up in the air and I only have a short amount of time to make these decisions!

What a fab foodie filled last day!
Here's hoping your next trips will be just as fun.
Even if they're very different-they can still be great-right!
Thanks for taking us along on your foodie adventures-loved it!:goodvibes

You sure got a lot done on your last Disney day.
Can't wait to see all the changes Disney is in the process of making.
Sad we won't be seeing you and Steve in July!!!!

Hopped onto this (D)TR just in time for it to be over!

I really liked Takumi Tei too! The French Family Meal looked delicious, but I worry I don't drink enough (I don't like wine at all) to make it worthwhile! Same with most of the Food & Wine events!

Funny! I used to not eat chickpeas except for in hummus but now I find that I do like them and started cooking with them during quarantine.

I've never liked traditional hummus, only when it's made from something else like edammame or other beans. I wish I did cause it's popular and healthy. Just like salmon, I've tried to like that too and I can only seem to like it in dip when it's been smoked. And that has a lot of cream cheese, sour cream, and minced onions.

I think it would be a good idea especially as they are going to have lower attendance and need to make some money!!

And there's no problem with "indoor dining" and as long as they put trash cans and tables far apart, perfect for social distancing.

Well, they are all dependent on how the situation is down there. I'll have to see how people's reviews are once the parks are opened. The thing is, I am using DVC points for all the trips and July's park opening would be past my day to bank the points. I definitely have to make it down in August because those are with rented points, but our Sept one is based on whether or not our cruise is going to happen. So eveyrthing is still up in the air and I only have a short amount of time to make these decisions!

Won't you guys have to self quarantine for 14 days or does that expire before you get there?

We had booked 7/16-18 at the Grand and I canceled the day before they announced the reopening. They put the points back in my 2020 UY, I need to book my F&W at DCA for next year before the 7 month mark opens. We have absolutely no travel plans for the foreseeable future.

How fun!! My nieces and nephews usually take them and they put them in places where I can't find them!

:lmao:
It was my last dish too, and I wasn't as enamored of it as the first few I had, but good thing it was veggie-infused so it didn't feel so heavy.

I think I tossed most of it, and had I had it before a TON of other stuff, it might have been a nice dish to be adventurous with. :)

Hi Su-Lynn!

I really enjoyed this dining review. It almost felt like a full TR because of your great pictures and little sprinkles of details.

The breakfast at Ale and Compass looked great! Definitely something I would consider doing if I was staying at the BC.

So cool about seeing Joey perform twice! Sounded like tons of fun!

If you decide to do a TR for some/all of your upcoming trips, I would be really interested in reading about them, especially the overall experience of being in Disney during the current state of the US! But either way, I am excited for you that you are going back home!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter