Ghirardelli discontinuing free chocolate?

tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
Nooooooo! That keeps my kids happy while I order our ice cream.

In that link to the story someone commented that at DCA they were giving them away at the register after you ordered something. I was just asking here to see if they were just short staffed that day or is this the new policy. It sort of sounds like See's now when they only give you free stuff when you go up to order at the counter.

Last edited:
When I was there the third week in December the was no one hand out free samples at the door. I was really looking forward to the peppermint bark too. The list a free things to score at DLR keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Oh, no! They were still giving them out when I was there first week of December.

Edited to ask: Who pays for the samples? Is it Ghirardelli or Disney? Because it sure seems like Disney could afford it, but I don't know about Ghirardelli. I'm sure lots of people make multiple trips through the door and I've often wondered if they seriously deplete their profit doing the samples.

We got peppermint park on Sunday. There was someone stationed right at the door with a big box of it.

They often don’t have it, though (even if you ask), I’d say we’re about 50\50 over the past few months.

My 5-year-old is OBSESSED with sourdough bread, so we go to the bakery over there and she also tries to score free chocolate Every. Single. Time. we go. Which is like 6ish times per month.

We where there over Christmas and someone was giving them out at the door

Oh, no! They were still giving them out when I was there first week of December.

Edited to ask: Who pays for the samples? Is it Ghirardelli or Disney? Because it sure seems like Disney could afford it, but I don't know about Ghirardelli. I'm sure lots of people make multiple trips through the door and I've often wondered if they seriously deplete their profit doing the samples.

Ghirardelli does this (or at least used to?) at all their Ice Cream shops/retail locations, not just the ones at Disney. That said, no one was handing them out when I went to the DCA one in early December. But I did see some small bins by the door and thought that the greeter person was maybe just on break or not scheduled that day or something. But I wonder if this change is a company thing or a Disney thing...

Ghirardelli does this (or at least used to?) at all their Ice Cream shops/retail locations, not just the ones at Disney. That said, no one was handing them out when I went to the DCA one in early December. But I did see some small bins by the door and thought that the greeter person was maybe just on break or not scheduled that day or something. But I wonder if this change is a company thing or a Disney thing...

From what I read, it's a Ghirardelli thing, and they are stopping the practice at all of their locations.

Oh, I thought it was always the case that you have to ask. But I've only been in there twice. The first time (several years ago) I didn't get one and I didn't even see where you were supposed to get one, the second time I was offered one at the counter while I decided what to order. So maybe it has always varied based on staffing.

Must be a very recent thing; they gave my friend and me the peppermint bark when we went this past Sunday.

When we were there over Thanksgiving, they were not giving them out. I didn’t even think to ask, as I just assumed if they weren’t offering, they weren’t doing it. I doubt even knowing this that I’d ask.

In that link to the story someone commented that at DCA they were giving them away at the register after you ordered something. I was just asking here to see if they were just short staffed that day or is this the new policy. It sort of sounds like See's now when they only give you free stuff when you go up to order at the counter.

Ghiradelli pays for it, and had been ding it in all of their stores. They recently said they were stopping the free samples. Over Thanksgiving, Candlelight, and another weekend, they were not giving samples. Over Christmas, they were. Not sure how they decide when to do it, I dunno.....

I wonder if some of the folks getting them recently are the beneficiaries of left over peppermint bark/overstock since the peppermint bark "season" is kinda over...

Visited the parks January 8-11 and were offered 2 each the first day we visited and then scored a couple more on the last day. Have made many purchases from Ghiradellis, but honestly prefer to walk around with a waffle cone from Clarabelles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!