Gluten free menus??

prestonsmomma

DIS Veteran
Is there anywhere that I can get info on gluten free menus in WDW??? We are planning a trip with all of the grandparents next year and my MIL is allergic so I need to find out if the Dining plan will work for her or if she will be better off get dine elsewhere.

You might want to go to the following thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=806868 which runs about three pages concerning special diets at WDW and how they are handled.

The menus themselves are not published, but all the table service restaurants the chef will talk with you about what is available and sometimes even make special dishes. At the counter service locations you can speak with a manager who can give you detailed information.

The dining plan will definitely work.

i agree that you'll do fine eating at WDW.

in fact, i remember feeling very pleased with the meals i ate at the sit-down restaurants. i'm gluten-free, dairy-free, and a few-other-free's, too, and i remember that it felt GOOD to be able to eat a meal at a restaurant with family like a "normal" person. i felt very satisfied, and enjoyed each meal quite a bit.

i didn't try to figure out how to eat at counter service restaurants, though. i'm sure it can be done, but usually we stopped there when we wanted a fast meal, and i didn't want to slow things down by having a special meal. however, if it was pre-paid on a dining plan, well then, i'm sure it would have gotten figured out!

enjoy!!!!

-dj

We called ahead a few days to all of our PSs (what are they called now?) and when we arrived, the chef came out to the table and talked to us in detail as to his likes. Each time, we had way more food (for a child's dinner price) than he could eat for a week, and he loved it. I remember in particular Tony's and the buffet in the CS were especially accomodating. As far as counter-service, according to the Passporter for Special Needs, many are now stocking GF foods, particularly pasta, pizza and bread. I remember too reading about the bakery at the Boardwalk making someone a wonderful GF cake - which is great, as we're staying there for three nights!

My mom has celiac disease and we have had wonderful experiences at WDW. Our solution is to make ADRs (be sure to tell the CM at the START of your call that all the ressies will include a person who has a gluten allergy), so the chefs know we are coming. They bend over backwards for her, at everywhere from Boma to Crystal Palace to Artist Point to Marakesh. We find Disney does an excellent job of training their staff, even at buffets, to understand what it means to REALLY be gluten and wheat FREE. The chef will come out to greet us at our table and take Mom through the buffet line or the menu. They often make her something special, especially for dessert, since so few desserts are gluten free. The service has been so great at WDW that we are afraid to vacation anywhere else with her!

Gluten free diets are actually one of the more common dietary concerns that restaurants run into. A friend (who has not been to WDW) has mentioned that it is a lot easier getting gluten free food at restaurants (in general) than it used to be.
And, from what I have sen people posting, gluten free diets seem to be one of the things that WDW does a pretty good job of. I hope, with the information that other people posted here, you fel confident that you won't run into any problems.

Since my DH suffers from Celiac Sprue, we have to be careful [obviously] about what he eats. We visited WDW this time LAST year, right after he had been diagnosed [in Nov 2004] and we were concerned also. The Disney chefs in EVERY restaurant we had ressies surely put our minds at ease. They PERSONALLY came to our table and advised my DH what he could and could not eat. They also offered to prepare him something special if he didn't wish for anything on the menu....In my opinion, they went ABOVE AND BEYOND, and that is why I wouldn't hesitate to visit WDW again and again....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter