• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to DW with 5 year old Autistic son, what is GAC? - what are our options?

momtobe98

Earning My Ears
Hi!

My family is taking our first family vacation in January to DW. I have a 7 year old, 5 year old (non-verbal, moderate autism, MANY sensory issues) and a 3 year old. My sister is coming along with our family to help out (maybe me & hubby can go to dinner alone!!) We are staying at Saratoga Springs and I requested a first floor room because the balconies are WAY to dangerous with my kids. I've been skimming through this site and haven't figured out what GAC is. Can anyone help me outon this? Also, any suggestions/help on things we can do there? The two places we are definitely going to are DW and Animal Kingdom (my 5 year old LOVES animals so I'm hoping this will be a hit).

Thank you so much for your help!

Karen

There is an explanation about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) in the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It's the last post in that thread.
If you haven't read it, it hopefully should answer most of your questions.

If you have read it and still have questions, please post what is still not clear. I (or someone else) will answer and then I guess I will re-write that explanation.

The short explantion is that a GAC is a card that explains what sorts of accomidations your child needs to be able to go to attractions.

momtobe98 said:
Also, any suggestions/help on things we can do there? The two places we are definitely going to are DW and Animal Kingdom (my 5 year old LOVES animals so I'm hoping this will be a hit).

Thank you so much for your help!

Karen
I'm not sure what DW is??
For suggestions on what to do... What do your kids like besides animals?
What kinds of things are any of them afraid of/sensitive to?

Hi! We have taken our autistic ds on 3 trips and he loves it! My best advice is to use a stroller. This will allow for a safety zone if your little guy gets too aggitated. Also, be sure to get to the parks first thing in the morning (we arrive 30 minutes before the gates open. This almost always guarantees for lighter crowds. Then we head to the hotel for an afternoon break! Have fun!

We went in September with our DD5 and DD4 (mild autism). The only thing she did not do well in was anything 3D. She didn't like the get off the ride once it was over. Loved Buzz Lightyear ride, fireworks and was amazed by the Spectromagic parade. They seemed to enjoy Animal Kingdom especially the Dino Land. We brought our own umbrella stroller that we bought at Walmart. We got the GAC for "insurance" purposes. We only needed it 4 times the 6 days we were there. WHen they started to get tired, that was our cue to leave the park.

I'm assuming the OP means Magic Kingdom. Many call it Disney World because it is so similar to Disneyland. It's a common mistake, to say we're going to Disney World, EPCOT, MGM and AK...

Schmeck said:
I'm assuming the OP means Magic Kingdom. Many call it Disney World because it is so similar to Disneyland. It's a common mistake, to say we're going to Disney World, EPCOT, MGM and AK...
That was my assumption too, but wanted to make sure (I probably should have put "do you mean MK?")

Thank you so much for your replies! I now understand this a lot better. I am very excited abou this trip and would like the "insurance" just in case. I'm hoping we can go as long as possible without having to use it, but you never know. It's hard enough with young children but when you add in the disability it takes it to a whole new level.

Thanks again to everyone!

P.S. My 5 year old son went to the bathroom on his own today for the first time ever! (I didn't bring him, he went ALL by himself!!!) What a HUGE happy moment for me!

momtobe98 said:
P.S. My 5 year old son went to the bathroom on his own today for the first time ever! (I didn't bring him, he went ALL by himself!!!) What a HUGE happy moment for me!
:banana: :banana: :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter