Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
She drove into the display but damaged the piece behind her head? How far into it did she drive? We want video! :rotfl2:
LOL Yeah, She was backing up and not paying close enough attention. Luckily the headrest was there, or that would have been the back of her head. My Dad said he was going to revoke her license. The only thing that got hurt that day was her confidence.

LOL Yeah, She was backing up and not paying close enough attention. Luckily the headrest was there, or that would have been the back of her head. My Dad said he was going to revoke her license. The only thing that got hurt that day was her confidence.

Thank goodness she's OK! :)

I think all of these reviews have convinced me to go with them next trip. I've rented from Scooterbug and been satisfied but I like the sound of the extra features.

Just got back from our trip, and we thought GMS was fantastic! Drop off was quick and easy. Pick up was quick and easy. And it only once dropped below the fullest charge and that was the day we forgot to plug it in the night before and only did so about 1.5 hours that morning when we realized it! We got the Pride go-go 3 wheel and my Mom loved it. Small and easy to use which is her preference. Oh and anyone we talked to in the park who rented from GMS had the same sentiments (including Simba's Mom that we met in Epcot). We will definitely be renting with them again next year!

Just got back from our trip, and we thought GMS was fantastic! Drop off was quick and easy. Pick up was quick and easy. And it only once dropped below the fullest charge and that was the day we forgot to plug it in the night before and only did so about 1.5 hours that morning when we realized it! We got the Pride go-go 3 wheel and my Mom loved it. Small and easy to use which is her preference. Oh and anyone we talked to in the park who rented from GMS had the same sentiments (including Simba's Mom that we met in Epcot). We will definitely be renting with them again next year!

:wave::wave:

Which accessory does everyone recommend? Trying to decide between the sunshade or the rear basket. We’re going in mid-November.

Which accessory does everyone recommend? Trying to decide between the sunshade or the rear basket. We’re going in mid-November.

Hmmm.....good question! We used the rear basket & it was very convenient, just remember though, you've just added about 6" (or more) to the back of your scooter. I found that it made me a bull in a china shop. You forget it's back there & that can be dangerous. I haven't used the sunshade.

I would have loved the sunshade but am afraid it would block other peoples' view if watching a show outdoors, plus I heard it didn't provide that much protection if the sun is at an angle. I did order the rear basket but will take it off if using the scooter on transportation (bus, monorail, etc) since it does protrude in back, and the bus drivers, especially, aren't too happy with that. This coming trip, I'm staying at Boardwalk so I may use it at Epcot and the Studios. I don't drive it through shops anyway. Just kind of depends on how you're planning to use the scooter.

We got the rear basket. It did take a little getting used to, but we ended up really liking it. I liked at shows when I was sitting next to or behind my Mom that I could put my drink in the back basket making it easier to grab. We had the smaller go-go scooter and had no issues on the bus. Took a little more getting used to parking it on the bus though.

I also used the rear basket and found it the best thing since sliced bread (not really, but you get the idea). And I didn't find it needed any getting used to.Never used the sunshade-I just can't believe it won't impair visibility at all. So I just look for the shade!

Thanks everyone! We're staying at Saratoga and will be taking the bus everywhere, I do worry that the rear basket will be too large. I usually hang a tote bag on the back so I'm not sure I even need a basket bc I'd just put the tote bag in that lol. I'm think I'm going to get the Victory 10, I've rented both before from another company and preferred the bigger scooter but I do think the basket will make it seem huge. I'm not so concerned about shows, we usually don't watch them and we're traveling with a big party so if we do I'd probably would just park the scooter. I have a heart issue but I'm ok standing/walking just not for a really long time. Although my DD doesn't want me getting the sunshade bc she said the one on her stroller is not as nice and it's not fair lol. So still debating in my mind lol

Thanks everyone! We're staying at Saratoga and will be taking the bus everywhere, I do worry that the rear basket will be too large. I usually hang a tote bag on the back so I'm not sure I even need a basket bc I'd just put the tote bag in that lol. I'm think I'm going to get the Victory 10, I've rented both before from another company and preferred the bigger scooter but I do think the basket will make it seem huge.

The scooter size may be an issue with the basket, I don't know-that's a good thought, though. I had the smaller scooter, and the basket didn't cause any problems at all. Perhaps the people who found it an issue had the Victory scooter. I was solo, and I found the smaller scooter to be easier to push in and out of my room when it was in neutral.

I ended up not taking the free accessory. I've had a rear basket on other rental scooters (I rent the standard scooter) and I HATED the basket - I mean - I could not wait to take that basket off - lol! I left it in the room the whole trip. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about the sun shade. I guess I really feel comfortable with the dimensions of the scooter and anything that makes it longer makes me feel like I went from a perfectly spunky roadster to an 18 wheel tractor trailer. **to note I mean I didn't rent the portable scooter - looks like I rented the pride victory 3 wheel - I think of it as a standard size and the one you see most often.

I also thought they wouldn't let you on the bus with the rear basket but I'm probably wrong about that. However I've yet to see anyone with a rear basket park it on the bus....but I sometimes see them in the parks. I think whatever you get, as long as you can remove it yourself and leave it in the room you're fine - then if you don't like it just take it off (or I'm sure if you call them they'll help you remove it - they offered that to me when they dropped off the scooter and I'm like nope I know I don't want it lol).

Thank you! I ultimately decided to go with the shade. I figure I can always take it off if it causes problems or I don't like it. I saw on Gold Mobility's Facebook page they will be stopping their 2018 sale soon so wanted to book it asap.

Just small follow up on the scooter purchase from Gold Mobility. As I mentioned in a previous post my parents decided to purchase one of the scooters they rented from GMS. When they returned home they purchased an attachment to connect it to their SUV to transport it around, and use it more often. On a shopping trip mom accidentally drove the scooter into a display, and damaged the headrest part of the seat. She called and explained what happened to Bob at GMS in an effort to purchase a replacement headrest. It was my mom's fault for not paying attention. Bob said they would get the information, and get back to her in a couple days. Two days later a new headrest part shows up in priority mail, with a note that said "Let us know if you need anything else. Compliments of Gold Mobility Scooters". This is a great company, and wonderful and caring staff.
And guess where many, many people who see this will now go to buy a scooter when they need one.

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread who recommended Gold's Mobility Scooters. I just got back from my first trip using a scooter. Gold's was just as marvelous as everyone said. Easy drop-off/pick-up! I had to change both meetings and it was very easy to do -- so great communication. The scooter itself was very nice. The fan, USB port and lights were great features. My DH especially like the lights. The older grandson wanted to speedwalk ahead of everyone. I was able to easily keep up with him and the lighted scooter helped my DH find us.

I will definitely rent from them again on my next WDW trip.

I got curious (LOL, you know me - I don't need to rent a scooter, but this kind of piqued my interest) and I went to the website.

Here's (copied and pasted) what I found, towards the bottom of the page, under a GIANT Disney logo:

Having read the entire page down to that point, I (personally) don't take that to mean ALL rental vendors, but that Gold is doing what they claim they will further up the page - delivering directly to the renter, at a pre-arranged time. That's all.

I agree that if you take that paragraph out of context, it could be construed that Gold is claiming that *every* rental vendor now has to follow those rules - which, as we know does not hold true for "Featured Providers" who have basically paid-to-play with Disney.

But in the context of their page, I think it's OK. Quite frankly, given the information that @Starwind found, I was expecting a more "polished" and professional look to the website, but that's a personal opinion.

@Hopefully, like you, I never want to see anyone get ripped off - and given this is such a new company (relatively speaking) there's not a lot of feedback about them, like there is for some of the other companies that have been around longer. But there's always room in any market for a good, solid company that wants to do right by their customers. Let's hope that Gold's is one of those companies! :)
I have looked at their website too. It seems to me they have a great marketing person doing their social media stuff. So I think that misleading is exactly what they had in mind. It is no accident, using that wording. And the statement “IMPORTANT WDW SCOOTER RENTAL AND WDW STROLLER RENTAL INFO - ALL MOBILITY SCOOTERS WE RENT WE 100% CERTIFY THAT THEY ARE DISNEY APPROVED SCOOTER RENTALS” seems to me is trying to imply the are approved as the companies that have been vetted and inspected by Disney. I’ll stick with the Disney list, most of them anyway.

Slightly off topic but does GMS have ECV's that can be operated in the rain?
I've seen a couple of places that state that their vehicles are not water proof.
All scooters are electric and have the same limitations. As long as the controls are kept dry, you have a good chance of doing okay. Of course, there is always the splash up from puddles that could be an issue with the battery connections! Since most of the companies use the same manufacturer for their rentals, no one is going to be more waterproof than the next. Use whatever covers are provided, and some common sense!

seems to me is trying to imply the are approved as the companies that have been vetted and inspected by Disney. I’ll stick with the Disney list, most of them anyway.

“Featured” vendor status does not necessarily convey “approved” or “preferred” or “better” in any particular manner. That is a common misconception.

“Featured” vendors are only “vetted and inspected” to the extent that they meet certain criteria. Namely, I believe that is size of fleet, size of ECV (some models are larger than ADA standards), speed control, promise to drop-off and pick-up in a timely manner without leaving equipment at Bell Services for days at a time, and a level of business insurance limiting WDW’s liability for the equipment on their property. Criteria that directly impacts WDW operations and partnership. Customer service and age/condition of equipment may vary regardless of “Featured” status - a quick search of this forum will show both complaints and rave reviews for Featured vendors and non-featured vendors alike. I don’t believe any vendor is “approved” over any other. Even non-featured vendors are able to enter the parks for service assistance. And “Featured” is not a status every vendor can be granted — not all vendors opted to apply for Featured status, WDW initially only chose 5 vendors though 1 of which has since closed the business, and to my knowledge WDW has not entertained any further applicants beyond the initial round. A vendor who was not in business in 2012 has had no opportunity to become “Featured.”

I could see how a non-featured vendor might pro-actively try to respond to the question “why aren’t you an approved vendor?” There is no such status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter