Golf Cart Questions

hmkenn0

Mouseketeer
Okay so after reading all of your super helpful info, I reserved a golf cart for our week at the Ft! So I have some questions.
1. Where do you park it while you are at the parks? (We will probably drive rather than taking the buses- so is it just at our campsite?)
2. What about when we want to go swimming? (I read there is very little parking at the swimming locations- can we just park on the grass?)
3. I would like to decorate our golf cart (we will not be as creative as some of the ones I've seen- but still)- will magnets stick to the front (we always decorate our door on DCL- so that is what I know)? Are there any Disney rules about this (other than no obstruction of the sightlines and no permanent damage)?
4. I have a 15-year-old who has learners permit- I know the "rules" say licensed, but I think golf cart driving could be good practice for him- do they really card drivers? (I would not allow him to drive alone, just as I would not allow him to drive our car alone- and I am thinking of some good parallel parking practice for him in the cart before we work on this more in the car-lol!)
5. Any other tips about our Disney rental? (I know the others might be cheaper- but since they can't be delivered, I am willing to pay for less of a hassle.)

Welcome @hmkenn0,

I haven't seen you on the camping forum until recently. All great cart questions. I'll take a shot at them.

1. Where do you park it while you are at the parks? (We will probably drive rather than taking the buses- so is it just at our campsite?)
There is ample cart parking at the Outpost and Settlement bus depots as well as the Trading posts and Settlement area in general (Trails End/Crockett's/Hoop-D-Doo). If you are driving, just leave the cart at your site.
2. What about when we want to go swimming? (I read there is very little parking at the swimming locations- can we just park on the grass?)
Unlike motor vehicle parking that is very limited around the Fort, most areas where you want to go have a reasonable amount of cart parking. The Meadows area (pool, campfire sing a long/movie and trading post) have several areas designated for carts. Unless it is VERY busy, I have never had trouble finding a space.
3. I would like to decorate our golf cart (we will not be as creative as some of the ones I've seen- but still)- will magnets stick to the front (we always decorate our door on DCL- so that is what I know)? Are there any Disney rules about this (other than no obstruction of the sightlines and no permanent damage)?
I have never decorated a cart, but the "body" is typically made of fiberglass or polycarbonate (plastic) so magnets won't stick. Easily removed stickers are ok (as long as you remove them before returning). Others that do decorate will probably have ideas on how to attach things.

One piece of advice, because the Fort carts mostly look alike (they are numbered), many people will tie a streamer on the windshield or do something to make their cart easily identifiable. It's really hard to pick "your" cart out of a sea of 50 or so, late at night, with limited lighting, after a long day at the parks. Oddly, most carts all use the same key and I can never remember the number of "my" cart.
4. I have a 15-year-old who has learners permit- I know the "rules" say licensed, but I think golf cart driving could be good practice for him- do they really card drivers? (I would not allow him to drive alone, just as I would not allow him to drive our car alone- and I am thinking of some good parallel parking practice for him in the cart before we work on this more in the car-lol!)
In my state, a "permit" driver is considered to have a "license", just a restricted one. They actually receive a plastic card that looks like a license. That may be dancing the line on the rule, but if your 15 y/o is accompanied and driving responsibly, no one will notice. I don't recall being asked for a license when renting, but I have never heard of anyone being carded while driving. When my DS was 16, he looked very young and he was never stopped and questioned at the Fort, even when driving alone. You will see some obviously underage cart drivers there.
5. Any other tips about our Disney rental? (I know the others might be cheaper- but since they can't be delivered, I am willing to pay for less of a hassle.)
We will rent a Disney cart if we are only using if for a few days (4-5 max). The hassle of going off site to pick up and drop off out weighs the additional cost for us. I'll be down for 10 days in a month (from today!) and I am renting from an off site vendor (Kenny). Last trip was only 4 days and we rented a Fort cart.

Like you have probably read, a cart is not required or essential at the Fort. The internal buses are fine to get around. A cart is a nice convenience and a fun way to spend time "looping" while you check out the rest of the Fort and see everyone's campers and decorations. Since it sounds like you are driving to the parks, you may only want a cart for a day or 2, unless you really like to go looping and seeing the sights (that's us).

j

Last edited:
Hello kmkenn0, I can answer your questions
1---The Outpost bus stop golf cart parking lot is where you will park if you want to take a bus to HS, Epcot, AK or Disney Springs and the Marina/Trails End golf cart parking lots are where you will park if you want to take a boat to MK.
2--- The pool shares a golf cart parking lot with the sing-s-long movie area but there is also a large golf cart parking lot at the Meadows store, both lots are only a few seconds walk to the pool.
3--- Disney carts really don't have a lot of metal on them for magnets to stick ( mostly plastic and aluminum) most people use window stickers that easily remove or use the stick on fasteners that attach to the roof edges to hang things on. Just don't use anything that will damage the cart or be hard for the CMs to get off when you return it.
4--- When you pick up your cart everyone that will drive it will have to show a valid drivers license and sign the contract so unfortunately your 15 year old will not be able to drive it. Do younger drivers drive the carts at the Fort, yes is it right no. With the extra CMs working to make sure guests are wearing face coverings now and the Rangers and security there are many eyes watching. I have seen on the rare occasion security taking the cart away from the guest because of underage driving.
5--- The Fort says 1pm is pick up time but if they have carts on the valet line( behind the Outpost check in) you can pick it up anytime after 6am on the day you have it reserved. If anytime you have the cart and you experience any problem with it you can take it back up to valet where you picked it up and the CM will give you another cart( rare but it does happen) Also know that the front desk is open 24/7 so if you have a problem after the cart valet closes you can always go there for help.
Have fun on your trip........

I see Teamubr was replying when I was typing so hopefully between the two of us we have answered your questions if not fire away......

Unlike motor vehicle parking that is very limited around the Fort, most areas where you want to go have a reasonable amount of cart parking. The Meadows area (pool, campfire sing a long/movie and trading post) have several areas designated for carts. Unless it is VERY busy, I have never had trouble finding a space.

To expand on this point, part of the "several areas" are also two small fenced cart lots behind the Bike Barn between the Meadow Pool and the Campfire/Singalong locations. During the day they are used by carts whose guests are at the pool mostly; in the evenings they are used by carts whose guests are at the campfire mostly.

The cart spots in front of the Meadow Trading Post (facing loops 900-1000) are meant for short-term visits to the TP and not longer visits to the pool. Between behind the Pool and Bike Barns, you shouldn't have trouble finding a spot this time of year.

Bama Ed

Re: Decorations....We use those Command strip hooks to hang battery operated (for outdoors) Christmas/fairy Lights around the roof, and zip ties for other things.

What they said, and get the battery operated lights for the cart and the zip ties.

...I have never decorated a cart...
...One piece of advice, ...many people will tie a streamer on the windshield or do something to make their cart easily identifiable.
Except me and now I learn that Teamubr doesn't either. Dadgummit! I have always held the theory that EVERYONE decorates their golf cart, so mine is the ONLY one in the parking area that is NOT decorated since I DON'T. Looks like now I might find myself in an arm wrestling contest with Teamubr over an undecorated cart in the Settlement parking lot if we ever hit FW on the same week.

Except me and now I learn that Teamubr doesn't either. Dadgummit! I have always held the theory that EVERYONE decorates their golf cart, so mine is the ONLY one in the parking area that is NOT decorated since I DON'T. Looks like now I might find myself in an arm wrestling contest with Teamubr over an undecorated cart in the Settlement parking lot if we ever hit FW on the same week.
We don't decorate ours either. I don't even decorate my site. Ok, my wife made me do some stuff for Christmas. Yeah, we're (me) pretty boring. No awning out, no rugs, lights or even outdoor furniture. If you went by our site you'd think it was abandoned except for a golf cart....

We don't decorate ours either. I don't even decorate my site. Ok, my wife made me do some stuff for Christmas. Yeah, we're (me) pretty boring. No awning out, no rugs, lights or even outdoor furniture. If you went by our site you'd think it was abandoned except for a golf cart....
Well, if the three of us ever get to FW at the same time, we might have to sell tickets to the ensuing Midnight RUMBLE over the undecorated golf cart upon our collective return from a day at the theme parks. Sadly, DW says her money is on Teamubr...

...If you went by our site you'd think it was abandoned except for an undecorated golf cart....
I've been looping pre-Halloween in previous years and have seen that site (sight) before. Kind of spooky, really. It had no signs of life, kinda dark inside, thoughts of a Friday-the-13th scenario inside the coach ran thru my head...Then I saw the cat...licking what looked like blood off its paws...daring me to come in...to check out the carnage. Thinking it might be a new "RV-of-Terror" venue from the park, I declined and moved on to the next loop while I still could.

I didn't realize it was your Class A. Didn't know you had a cat. What great decorations that you didn't have to put up. Well done!

Not Halloween, this is our first. Christmas was when I was coerced into decorating......

Looks like now I might find myself in an arm wrestling contest with Teamubr over an undecorated cart in the Settlement parking lot if we ever hit FW on the same week.
You may be right. Although, I think I may bring some blue painters tape to put on the windshield frame. I can't find any ribbon.
If you went by our site you'd think it was abandoned except for a golf cart....
But you have a fancy personal cart. Not a lovely boring green Fort cart.
Sadly, DW says her money is on Teamubr...
Why sadly? :) I'm going to have blue tape candy canes on my cart...
One bow... I like it. Understatement at its best.

j

@Teamubr
Jim, did you see the critters up on the dash? They all move around and have Christmas lights and are all annoying and such.
As far as the cart, this will be the first time we'll bring our own. I've always had the green ones with the big numbers before.

I saw them up there. I wasn't sure if they were normal travelers or holiday decorations.

j

I thought they were some wandering Carolers Don invited in for a touch of Holiday Cheer
Resized_20191225_113432.jpg
Stop with Painters tape for the Candy Canes I can absolutely confirm Zip ties work perfectly well

Stop with Painters tape for the Candy Canes I can absolutely confirm Zip ties work perfectly well
I wasn't going to use painters tape to attach real canes. I was simply going to wrap the tape around the windshield frame to make the cart look unique. That pic looks like WAY too much effort. ::yes::

j

Well, if the three of us ever get to FW at the same time, we might have to sell tickets to the ensuing Midnight RUMBLE over the undecorated golf cart upon our collective return from a day at the theme parks. Sadly, DW says her money is on Teamubr...
Im bringing extra dollar store battery lights next trip. Ill put them on all the undecorated carts. I'll sit and watch quiety as you scurry about wondering where your carts went. giphy-1.gif

Im bringing extra dollar store battery lights next trip. Ill put them on all the undecorated carts. I'll sit and watch quiety as you scurry about wondering where your carts went.
Dang! Guess I shouldn't have let that cat out of the bag. You're pretty creative to think of that. 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!