Golf Cart Questions

4. I have a 15-year-old who has learners permit- I know the "rules" say licensed, but I think golf cart driving could be good practice for him- do they really card drivers? (I would not allow him to drive alone, just as I would not allow him to drive our car alone- and I am thinking of some good parallel parking practice for him in the cart before we work on this more in the car-lol!)

Disney rules for young drivers are similar to what you also find at golf courses. They want someone who is responsible enough to drive the cart safely. You can injure yourself or others, rollover the cart or damage property if driven recklessly. Someone old enough to have a driver's license is usually considered a requirement to drive a golf cart. There is also the liability issue for Disney if an underage driver causes injury or property damage.

Welcome @hmkenn0,

I haven't seen you on the camping forum until recently. All great cart questions. I'll take a shot at them.

1. Where do you park it while you are at the parks? (We will probably drive rather than taking the buses- so is it just at our campsite?)
There is ample cart parking at the Outpost and Settlement bus depots as well as the Trading posts and Settlement area in general (Trails End/Crockett's/Hoop-D-Doo). If you are driving, just leave the cart at your site.
2. What about when we want to go swimming? (I read there is very little parking at the swimming locations- can we just park on the grass?)
Unlike motor vehicle parking that is very limited around the Fort, most areas where you want to go have a reasonable amount of cart parking. The Meadows area (pool, campfire sing a long/movie and trading post) have several areas designated for carts. Unless it is VERY busy, I have never had trouble finding a space.
3. I would like to decorate our golf cart (we will not be as creative as some of the ones I've seen- but still)- will magnets stick to the front (we always decorate our door on DCL- so that is what I know)? Are there any Disney rules about this (other than no obstruction of the sightlines and no permanent damage)?
I have never decorated a cart, but the "body" is typically made of fiberglass or polycarbonate (plastic) so magnets won't stick. Easily removed stickers are ok (as long as you remove them before returning). Others that do decorate will probably have ideas on how to attach things.

One piece of advice, because the Fort carts mostly look alike (they are numbered), many people will tie a streamer on the windshield or do something to make their cart easily identifiable. It's really hard to pick "your" cart out of a sea of 50 or so, late at night, with limited lighting, after a long day at the parks. Oddly, most carts all use the same key and I can never remember the number of "my" cart.
4. I have a 15-year-old who has learners permit- I know the "rules" say licensed, but I think golf cart driving could be good practice for him- do they really card drivers? (I would not allow him to drive alone, just as I would not allow him to drive our car alone- and I am thinking of some good parallel parking practice for him in the cart before we work on this more in the car-lol!)
In my state, a "permit" driver is considered to have a "license", just a restricted one. They actually receive a plastic card that looks like a license. That may be dancing the line on the rule, but if your 15 y/o is accompanied and driving responsibly, no one will notice. I don't recall being asked for a license when renting, but I have never heard of anyone being carded while driving. When my DS was 16, he looked very young and he was never stopped and questioned at the Fort, even when driving alone. You will see some obviously underage cart drivers there.
5. Any other tips about our Disney rental? (I know the others might be cheaper- but since they can't be delivered, I am willing to pay for less of a hassle.)
We will rent a Disney cart if we are only using if for a few days (4-5 max). The hassle of going off site to pick up and drop off out weighs the additional cost for us. I'll be down for 10 days in a month (from today!) and I am renting from an off site vendor (Kenny). Last trip was only 4 days and we rented a Fort cart.

Like you have probably read, a cart is not required or essential at the Fort. The internal buses are fine to get around. A cart is a nice convenience and a fun way to spend time "looping" while you check out the rest of the Fort and see everyone's campers and decorations. Since it sounds like you are driving to the parks, you may only want a cart for a day or 2, unless you really like to go looping and seeing the sights (that's us).

Jim I had one additional question to add to this post if it’s ok. When u take the golf cart to the boat to Kk are you allowed to leave the cart parked there all day while at the park?

Jim I had one additional question to add to this post if it’s ok. When u take the golf cart to the boat to Kk are you allowed to leave the cart parked there all day while at the park?
I assume this is your question? Not sure since it was contained within the quote.
I'm assuming the Kk was a typo and you meant the MK?
Regardless, you can park a cart anywhere there is available cart parking and leave it there all day.
Don

I think you had it right the first time... :lmao:

Is it a coincidence that Mike and Mickey are spelled so similarly?

j

I think you had it right the first time... :lmao:

Is it a coincidence that Mike and Mickey are spelled so similarly?

j
No, it's a coincidence that this damn phone chooses the time I'm not paying attention to autocorrect! 😡

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!