Good Neighbor Hotels - Disneyland

Gonzjj

Mouseketeer
Ahhh!!! We booked the Red Lion Hotel thinking this was a great option as Disney categorizes it as a "Superior" Good Neighbor, but reading so many recent reviews of the property has me scared. This Disneyland trip is a first for our family and though we want to stay budget conscious, we don't want the hotel experience to ruin our trip.

Where do you recommend to day (Good Neighbor)? Any help would be appreciated.

I'll let others comment about good budget hotels, but what many don't know about the Red Lion aka Dead Lion is the corporation recently sold and the new ownership group is moving to a franchise system, not corporate ownership. I've stayed at a few over the years and at this point I've ruled them out. As a brand quality is now wildly inconsistent and questionable. When I was looking to stay at DL in September I read the review on 3 sites about the Red Lion, the ones that drive me away the fastest are the bed bug comments.

Ahhh!!! We booked the Red Lion Hotel thinking this was a great option as Disney categorizes it as a "Superior" Good Neighbor, but reading so many recent reviews of the property has me scared. This Disneyland trip is a first for our family and though we want to stay budget conscious, we don't want the hotel experience to ruin our trip.

The Tropicana and Desert Inn & Suites are what I feel to be budget friendly. Right at the cross-walk too.

I don't know when you are going. But to get the lowest rate at DI&S you will need to book WAY in ADVANCE. Check out their website and see what you think.

For my group, the one draw back to the DI&S is the indoor pool.

I use DI&S when I go solo. Close and I really like the beds.

Geemo

Last edited:

The Tropicana and Desert Inn & Suites are what I feel to be budget friendly. Right at the cross-walk too.

I don't know when you are going. But to get the lowest rate at DI&S you will need to book WAY in ADVANCE. Check out their website and see what you think.

For my group, the one draw back to the DI&S is the indoor pool.

I use DI&S when I go solo. Close and I really like the beds.

Geemo
About how long is the walk from DI&S? Would it be faster to walk there with a group of 7 (including grandparents, a 7yo and toddler in stroller) or wait for the shuttle?

About how long is the walk from DI&S? Would it be faster to walk there with a group of 7 (including grandparents, a 7yo and toddler in stroller) or wait for the shuttle?
No Shuttle necessary. It's a short walk. I've walked from Guardians of the Galaxy to our room in the DI&S in less than 15minutes toting a grandkid back to the room for his nap.

Here's a quik shot of the map from the DI&S to the center of the esplanade
2018-11-12 001.JPG

DI&S is literally AT the crosswalk. Along with PVI, BWPPI and Tropicana, you can't get closer. Even the Grand Californian can be a longer walk depending on where your room is. This is why so many people will stay at these places, even though they're not new and not fancy. They are so close you're at the security tents in 5 minutes. It's a snap to walk back for a rest midday, while the crowds and the heat are the worst, and head back later for parades and shows.

If all you need is a place to crash and shower, look at Google Maps along Harbor Blvd and pick whichever is cheapest. There are a few that have more recent refurbishment, better breakfasts, nicer pool areas for the kids. It all depends on what's important to you. For us, the kids aren't little any more, so the pool is not a big thing. We don't care about a lame breakfast (DI&S) because we prefer to keep a few things in the room-- most have mini fridges and microwaves- and eat a quick breakfast as we get ready, yogurt, fruit, granola etc. Just a tad bit farther down the street, Grand Legacy at the Park is getting nice reviews since they changed hands, and the pool looks nice-- thinking about trying them since they've had some really good prices. Fairfield up on the corner gets good reviews. HoJo, across the street from Fairfield, is quite nice and has an awesome water playground, nice rooms, but no breakfast. Just check out the reviews, like on Trip Advisor and here, and see what fits your needs and your budget best.

We stayed at the Grand Californian for our very first trip, and I'm glad we had that experience, but since we can get DI&S for around $100 a night usually, that's our go-to. It's not great, but it's all we need and it's SO close.

ETA: Looking at your post again, you mention Disney categorizing hotels as "Superior" Good Neighbor etc. It sounds like you are buying the package through Disney? If that's the case and you haven't pushed the button on that yet, consider NOT buying the package but pricing out everything separately, and checking what the difference in cost would be. Disneyland is quite different from WDW in that they don't do you any favors with their package pricing. You can often save quite a bit by booking airfare, transportation, hotel and tickets separately.

Last edited:
As the PP said, you may save by booking a hotel, tickets, etc. separately rather than through Disney. We got a good deal through Costco and I’ve used GetAwayToday.com too.

It's a bit further away from the DL gate (but has a regular ART timetable) but in terms of pricing you should maybe consider the Staybridge Suites Anaheim Resort at 1855 S Manchester.

DL is walkable to from the hotel itself, this can take around 40 minutes but is pleasant.

We've stayed at the Red Lion multiple times in the past and we've had only a couple of minor complaints (we are staying there again on our upcoming trip). The complaints were that one day the maid skipped our room and, the last time we visited, they weren't checking anyone in until 3pm, so this caused a line in the lobby area until then.

You can always e mail or call about the check in time and they certainly let you park in their lot beforehand, etc. It's a decent hotel and the price is right, so it's our go-to.

I'll let others comment about good budget hotels, but what many don't know about the Red Lion aka Dead Lion is the corporation recently sold and the new ownership group is moving to a franchise system, not corporate ownership. I've stayed at a few over the years and at this point I've ruled them out. As a brand quality is now wildly inconsistent and questionable. When I was looking to stay at DL in September I read the review on 3 sites about the Red Lion, the ones that drive me away the fastest are the bed bug comments.

That's interesting about the ownership as I hadn't heard that as of yet.

We just stayed at The Hyatt House. Its a 10 minute walk from hotel to resort. It's on the corner of Harbor and Katella.
Rooms were clean. comes w/ complimentary breakfast buffet. Service is awesome. It's a new hotel. We paid $111 a nite via Orbitz.

We would stay again as the rooms are mini suites w/ kitchens.

That's interesting about the ownership as I hadn't heard that as of yet.
RL has gone through a lot of changes, I think initially they put up about a dozen properties for sale to help fund the upgrades at some others hotels. Problem I've found is that RL seems very dated, and many are in need of a dramatic remodel. I'd say of the 5 I've been in over the past couple of years they all look like they are stuck in about 1983. They tried rebanding some of them as Hotel RL, but IMHO it was just lipstick on a pig. With their purchause of GuestHouse, Americas Best Value Inn and Knights Inn they have become a Midscale to Economy hotel chain, at best.

We just stayed at The Hyatt House. Its a 10 minute walk from hotel to resort. It's on the corner of Harbor and Katella.
Rooms were clean. comes w/ complimentary breakfast buffet. Service is awesome. It's a new hotel. We paid $111 a nite via Orbitz.

We would stay again as the rooms are mini suites w/ kitchens.
Agreed! I love Hyatt House! When offsite I pick between three options:

1) BWPPI for a short walk and clean rooms (but it is an older, recently updated motel). Free breakfast and about a 5 minute walk.
2) Hotel Indigio for a nice, updated hotel (interior cooridors) with an often amazing pricetag. Slightly longer walk (about 10-15 minutes) but close to a variety of drugstores and restaurants.
3) Hyatt House for a slightly more upscale, newer option. Slightly longer walk (about 10-15 minutes) but close to a variety of drugstores and restaurants. Free breakfast.

Oh no. I am staying at Four Points over Thanksgiving. It was dirt cheap so I’m assuming it’s disgusting? Eeeeeek!

I've only been once, but I stayed at the Red Lion last summer and found it to be pretty great. Nice new room, good wifi, good coffee, reasonable walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!