GOOF TROOP! WDW Marathon Weekend 2020 ... finshed 3/8. Comments welcome!

Great photos! I had a bit of sticker shock at Oga's as well - just had my $13 beer when I was in there, but I couldn't believe that the beer flight was $85! I guess you are paying for the experience - we had fun, but we also were seated with some fun strangers, so that helped.

The Muppets are the best - they need to update that movie though! I do quote it all the time..."A Salute to All Nations, but mostly America":rotfl2:

Great photos! I had a bit of sticker shock at Oga's as well - just had my $13 beer when I was in there, but I couldn't believe that the beer flight was $85! I guess you are paying for the experience - we had fun, but we also were seated with some fun strangers, so that helped.

The Muppets are the best - they need to update that movie though! I do quote it all the time..."A Salute to All Nations, but mostly America":rotfl2:

I was glad to make it to Muppets this time. I missed it last trip.

I paid $45 for the Yub Nub and I want that beer flight... 😬

Talk to me when you have a mortgage and three kids.

Just found your report . Following along and looking forward to reading more

Welcome!

Day 3, Part 1: Report to the Goof Troop!

I was up at 2:45 again Saturday morning and had a similar experience getting to the runners staging area. There, I met up with some fellow runDisney all-stars.

Going into the half, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to approach it. I could just run it solo, but I was also tempted by a Dead Last Start, which I had never heard of before. I could also just do all the characters and have fun with it, basically a Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) test run.

Due to the heat, a DLS was out for me (though kudos to @DerTobi75 for pulling that off!). Instead, @Bree @rteetz and @FFigawi and I ran the half together from Corral C. Since we planned on stopping for every character during the full, we only stopped for a select few (including Goofy for @jennamfeo) during the half. We got castle pics too since I wanted one castle pic in the dark.

It was a great time.

fc64242a-b809-41b1-a896-314881a7d7a1 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

fa69d0da-903b-4ab8-9a70-35be932f01c2 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

902de240-6d9f-42d3-adec-aac0688c7a70 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

e755c681-e01c-48eb-a4b2-01df5dec7ed0 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Our group photo in front of the castle (it was Bree's idea to jump) is one of my favorites of the trip.

615180718 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

1498a8a9-84bc-4981-82bd-1a8d7ad522d3 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

bf65d58e-39df-4b44-bf3e-d48ca146ff20 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

It was pretty darn warm for the race, but we got lucky - it was overcast until we finished and we had a moderate to strong breeze throughout the race, so the heat and sun weren't really a factor. I crossed my fingers that we'd get similar weather for the full.

Anyway, we finished strong (and with @PaDisneyCouple!). Afterward we had parking lot beers and Jenna was there! I was in on the surprise, but it was still great to see her.

615225691 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Next up ... Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
Our group photo in front of the castle (it was Bree's idea to jump) is one of my favorites of the trip.

Mine too! It came out perfectly.

Anyway, we finished strong (and with @PaDisneyCouple!). Afterward we had parking lot beers and Jenna was there! I was in on the surprise, but it was still great to see her.

Definitely a highlight of the day and the weekend!

Your 10k course diversion is what legends are made of!

You also take a great race photo! You make it look fun!! 😜

Your 10k course diversion is what legends are made of!

You also take a great race photo! You make it look fun!! 😜

It’s honestly so much fun. Some people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I run marathons, but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t enjoy it so much.

I love Revolutionary-era Minnie! Great photos. As someone who barely finished 3 half-marathons, I'm impressed that you had the energy for the jumping photo.

If only the weather had been as good for the full...

I was telling two of my friends (who ran the 10K) about your detour ... I'm not sure if they were impressed or horrified. They were a little surprised you didn't run into any trouble.

It’s honestly so much fun. Some people look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them I run marathons, but I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t enjoy it so much.
I actually look at myself like I’m crazy when I run marathons, but wouldn’t do it if I didn’t enjoy it...

I love Revolutionary-era Minnie! Great photos. As someone who barely finished 3 half-marathons, I'm impressed that you had the energy for the jumping photo.

If only the weather had been as good for the full...

I always try to leave enough energy for shenanigans.

I was telling two of my friends (who ran the 10K) about your detour ... I'm not sure if they were impressed or horrified. They were a little surprised you didn't run into any trouble.

Trouble is my middle name. I suspect it’s John’s, too.

Day 3, Part 1: Long lines and VIP treatment at Magic Kingdom

After the half, I went back to my hotel, got cleaned up and had a bite to eat. I'm pretty sure I had an FP+ for Space Mountain late morning/early afternoon, but I skipped it in lieu of drinks and chatting with Dis-folks after the race.

By the time I got to Magic Kingdom, I was pretty much right on time for my Seven Dwarfs Mine Train FP+, so I went ahead and did that.

614387411 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

My memory of Magic Kingdom that day is not great, but from there I think I did Philharmagic, Country Bears, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the PeopleMover and I must've done Buzz Lightyear because I have a photo in my Memory Maker.

It was probably early afternoon at this point and the lines were long for everything. I remember thinking Magic Kingdom was exceedingly busy this trip, which didn't match my Touring Plans crowd projections at all. Since I was traveling solo, it didn't bother me too much.

Rather than wait upward of an hour for pretty much anything or just hang out at MK for several hours before Happily Ever After, I decided to go back to my hotel. So, I went back to ASM, ate some dinner and watched some TV. Nothing fancy, but it was relaxing.

Happily Ever After was scheduled to start at 8 and I wanted to get a good spot for photos, so I tried to head back and give myself 45-60 minutes to secure a spot. I came back to the park thinking I had given myself enough time to get a spot right at the Partners statue. Boy, was I wrong. The hub was fairly packed at least 45 minutes before HEA started.

So, I went back to the walkway that goes to Tommorowland Terrace and decided to just set up there. After setting up my tripod, a cast member walked up to me and asked if I was planning on watching/shooting the fireworks from there. Uh oh. I said yeaaaaah? And she said they had to keep that entire walkway clear. Crap.

Initially, the CM told me I would need to find another spot, which I was totally understanding of, though I expressed that was probably unlikely given the crowd. Not complaining or giving her a hard time, just sort of reserved to not get a good HEA spot that night unless I went to the back of the castle.

Well, the CM said hold on a second, got on her radio and asked a question. I didn't hear the question and I don't think she got a response, but she said forget it, she'd take me over there anyway. So, not knowing where we were going, I packed my stuff and followed her to the opposite side of the hub (by Casey's Corner). There was a roped off area that which basically mirrored where I was at by the Plaza restaurant that had no one in it. Since there were a bunch of folks in wheelchairs to the left of that are, I assumed it was an ADA area set aside that wasn't necessary for that night. The CM said I could set up in there and it was a perfect spot!

Eventually, I was joined by a few more people, but no one blocked my shots or messed with my gear. It ended up being a tremendous spot to shoot HEA. I definitely felt like I got the VIP treatment from that cast member.

Oh, and I think my photos turned out pretty well! (A good thing since @jennamfeo said they had to since I got a sweet spot)

DSC_4605 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4608 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4621 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4622 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4633 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4641 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4649 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

All in all, this was an all-time great MK fireworks shooting experience and I think I have the photos to back that up. I've had a lot of frustrations shooting in MK in the past, largely due to rude people, but this time I think I could say, "mission accomplished."

I don't think I did anything after the fireworks (that might actually be when I hopped on Buzz, now that I think of it) and not feeling like waiting in lines or staying up any later, I went back to my hotel, watched a little TV and then went to sleep before the full.

Next up ... The Goof Troop Roving Road Party rolls out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter