GOOF TROOP! WDW Marathon Weekend 2020 ... finshed 3/8. Comments welcome!

You all made the best out of a horrid day for running! I think the Fantasia Hippo shot is my favorite, but it's clear how much fun you were having in every photo. Congrats on making it to the finish!

Great pictures! What a fun experience for everyone!

Thank you!

You all made the best out of a horrid day for running! I think the Fantasia Hippo shot is my favorite, but it's clear how much fun you were having in every photo. Congrats on making it to the finish!

I love the Hippo photo, too. Didn’t turn out too bad considering how hot it was and how late in the race we were.

Due to some technical difficulties, I probably won’t be updating this TR until late next week. Thanks!

You made the full almost sound easy! Sounds like you all had a blast! And love that you all finished together! Reading this has me thinking I might need to do the full again after all!

Each full presents its challenges, but I do find the mental aspect of running a marathon is much easier now with a few under my belt. It doesn’t hurt that I had a great group to run with and keep pushing me forward.

After the full and parking lot beers, I went back to my hotel room and got cleaned up. I probably ate something, too, but more than a month later, I don't remember what I ate.

After showering and eating, I headed back to Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately, I forgot my medals, so I didn't get any shots with them at MK.

The park was surprisingly crowded and I didn't get a lot done at Magic Kingdom. I did get another run on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, though. Turns out, I make the same face every time I'm on this ride:

615573193 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After 7DMT, I rode on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. After that, I believe I got in line for Haunted Mansion. Unfortunately, the line at HM took much longer than expected. That meant missing a chance to hang out with @jennamfeo.

I had an ADR for Boma for around 5:30 or so and had hoped to take some photos around Animal Kingdom Lodge before my meal, but because Haunted Mansion took so long, I got there right before my ADR was scheduled to begin. The sun was also largely down at that point.

On the bright side, Boma absolutely delivered. Their spread is so good, even without the seafood gumbo I adore. I had a couple of different stews, including a seafood one, as well as some items from the carving table. Long story short, I stuffed my face at Boma and it was incredible.

After dinner, I went back to MK. I think I had my camera gear, but I just didn't have any energy to mess with getting a good spot for taking photos, especially since I was pretty confident I had good shots from the night before. Instead, I went on Buzz Light year and maybe the Peoplemover.

After that, I went to find a spot for Happily Ever After. I ended up finding a spot on the sidewalk to just sit and watch, but right before the show started, some woman stopped right in front of me and parked her backside and stroller right in front of me. I said, "Seriously?" and the woman just looked at me as if to say, "Deal with it."

I was super annoyed, but shifted over, stood up and watched HEA. The woman's son (I think she was a grandma) was a total spaz during the show and kept smoking or vaping or something, which was lame, but I enjoyed the show.

After HEA, I took a quick photo in front of the castle:

616025757 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After that, I left Magic Kingdom. All things considered, it wasn't my favorite day ever at MK. It was more crowded than I was anticipating based on crowd predictions, lines ran long and I didn't really get all that much done. Still, any sub-optimal day in MK is much, much, much better than a great day in most other places.

Next up ... DRINKING AROUND THE WORLD!

Day 5: Drinking Around the World ... and then some.

The hardest part about Marathon Weekend is not getting up early multiple mornings in a row. It's not the distance. It's not the heat.

No, the hardest part of Marathon Weekend is trying to remember all of Drinking Around the World more than a month later when your memories of that day aren't exactly crystal clear to begin with (I have no idea why, of course, it must've been the heat). Anyway, with the help from some other trip reports (thanks @michigandergirl) and photos uploaded by my fellow revelers here, I think I've more or less pieced the day together. I trust all of you following along with point out any glaring omissions.

I got up fairly early, got showered and left for Epcot ahead of our planned DATW 11 a.m. start time. I fastpassed Space Ship Earth like an absolute boss, then got over to do Soarin'. I don't care what anyone says, I love the new Soarin', crooked images and all. After that, I did Journey into Imagination (Fastpass again, naturally) and then helped some couple take their photo out by the fountain. I believe by that time, it was close to the DATW start time.

There were people already at the Mexico pavilion when I got there, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you who. I hung out and talked with a ton of people on Monday, some I know by screen name only, some I knew on a first name basis, some were neither, but I'm glad I got to chat with you all. Either way, I'm not even going to attempt to list everyone I commiserated with during DATW.

Anyway, I had a margarita ... or two ... in Mexico. @jennamfeo or @Keels snapped this photo of me.

DSC_4677 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

We continued on to Norway, where I had a beer or two, but I know I shared it/them with some people. I also took a ton of pics, but I'll spare you most of them.

DSC_4733 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

616478611 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

More drinks in China, the Africa outpost and Germany. We had limoncello shots in Italy and I had a beer or two and a turkey leg in the America pavilion. That turkey leg also permanently stained my Goofy Challenge shirt. Really not happy with myself on that one.

IMG_5706 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

IMG_5041 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

I have no idea where this photo was taken...

IMG_1641 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

We took a brief siesta in Japan, though I'm not really sure why. I think maybe some people were grabbing food? Then it was on to Morocco. Everyone was obviously well under control at this point.

DSC_4762 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4772 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

After that, it was on to France. We took a photo with Goofy at the International Gateway, I think, before heading to the United Kingdom pavilion. In UK, we chilled out for a while and listened to a band (I thought it was British Invasion, but a Google search is showing British Revolution?). After that, we snagged a quick pic with the band.

IMG_5051 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Shortly thereafter, I spotted Mary Poppins coming out for a photo opp. I may or may not have surprised Ms. Poppins with a selfie. I don't think she was very amused.

Then we all tried to do a group shot with Mary and I got yelled at by a CM for not putting my beer away.

3BC2EF58-EFFC-4FF1-B9A9-CCB19698D1B4 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

...and then this happened.

IMG_5054 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

Was this the beginning of the end? Who can say? But my memory after those Irish car bombs is much, much fuzzier. I do know that we continued on to Canada and I officially completed DATW ... then went right back to Mexico and started all over again. While some folks went over to Soarin', Jenna, Mike Drauer and I hung out in Mexico while I had another margarita and some nachos.

At some point, the rest of the group rejoined us and we rode Three Caballeros.

After that, it was dark and I think a lot of us said our goodbyes. I had a final fast pass for the Epcot Forever viewing area, but Keels talked me into going over to UK again instead. Did we grab drinks on the way? Maybe. Did I definitely have another beer while we waited for the show to start and played games? Definitely.

Anyway, it was a really, really great spot to take photos and - against all odds, given that day's activities - I'm really happy with how some of the photos turned out.

DSC_4807 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4815 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4822 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4834 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

DSC_4835 by Lee Hermiston, on Flickr

I think Epcot Forever was a perfectly fine placeholder. I'll miss IllumiNations, but who wouldn't? I look forward to seeing/photographing the new show in the future.

After the show, some people were heading to karaoke, but I was pretty wiped, so I called it a night. It was a bummer to say goodbye to everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter