Google Maps or Waze

JT193

Earning My Ears
Hi All! I keep reading that driving around Oahu can be difficult. Several articles have mentioned using maps to navigate and that the road system is confusing. Do apps like Google Maps and Waze not work well to get around Oahu???? I visited Maui 3 years ago and drove around the island with the assistance of these apps and had no problem. I’m beginning to get the impression that Oahu is not so easy.

Thank, in advance for any tips.

I used google maps on my recent trip to navigate both Maui and Oahu. It was a lifesaver. Just remember to bring your car charger or external charger so that you don’t run out of juice at an inconvenient time like I did.

Most people here on Oahu use Google Maps and it’s very accurate. Our roadways were built piecemeal so some roads were built where room was available, not where they made the most sense. Some older freeway on ramps have no room to merge and you must enter 50mph traffic from a dead stop (I’m looking at you University westbound on ramp!)

The biggest piece of advice I can offer is to listen to google maps unless it’s telling you something obviously wrong. But if it says go straight and stay to the left in order to make a left, make a u-turn, make a u-turn it’s probably correct.

We didn't find the road system that confusing at all. We used Google Maps all over Oahu and Kauai. Never got lost or confused. We also found it pretty accurate at estimating traffic delays as well.

We didn't find the road system that confusing at all. We used Google Maps all over Oahu and Kauai. Never got lost or confused. We also found it pretty accurate at estimating traffic delays as well.
Agreed--we navigated without issue both times we were there, though I've lived in several large cities, so maybe that's why.

I don't know why the road system on Oahu should be any more confusing than anywhere else. We've been to Oahu 6 times so far and have had no problems at all using Waze to navigate.

We have used google maps 4 times with no problems and have driven all over the island.

Both should work fine. I saw so many articles that said how traffic on Oahu was so busy and so confusing and that was not our experience at all. Sure, right around Honolulu at certain times the highways were a little slow but that was about it. I was expecting NYC gridlock or LA huge traffic and it was nothing like that.

We used Waze as well with only one minor issue when nearing Climbworks for our zip lining excursion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!