Grand Cali or more nights at Aulani?

erin1715

DIS Veteran
I've been going back and forth about this and am wondering what everyone else would do. We are 4 adults traveling together.

I plan to use DVC points for this, so this is all based on the assumption that I can get this to work.

Initially my plan was to fly out from the East coast to California, spend two nights at the Grand Californian (DVC points), fly to the Big Island for 3 nights, then spend 5 nights at Aulani (DVC points). This would use up all of my available DVC points so I can't add to one without taking from another.

My other option is fly to California and just get any hotel to spend one night there and then fly out the next day to the Big Island then I could spend 7 nights at Aulani but wouldn't get any time at Disneyland with this option.

This may seem like a no brainer to some people who have been to Aulani, but we never have so I don't know what I'm missing. We do love the parks though and I'm wondering if 7 nights would be too long at Aulani.

Any thoughts?

It can be tough to get the Grand Californian, as there are few rooms and it's the only DVC in California.

7 nights at Aulani is doable, especially if there are offsite trips that you would like to take; Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, North Shore, Waikki, surf/SUP lessons, etc. If staying onsite the whole time, some people might get bored.

We have recently traveled to both the Grand Californian and Aulani. If you *can* get the days you need at the Grand Californian do it. The hotel is stunning, rooms recently remodeled and the private entrance into California Adventure is a great perk. That being said, if you can't get those days 7 nights at Aulani is still a wonderful vacation. We did 11 nights this past June (just DH and I) with a mix of resort days and excursions and loved our stay.

Thank you. I realize it will be tough to get the Grand Californian but I won't know unless I try, and if not, well then I guess I'll just have to suffer with 7 days at Aulani, lol.

We do plan to do some day trips at Aulani and will have a car.

Thank you. I realize it will be tough to get the Grand Californian but I won't know unless I try, and if not, well then I guess I'll just have to suffer with 7 days at Aulani, lol.

We do plan to do some day trips at Aulani and will have a car.

Having a car was key for us. Stop at one of the concierge desks in the lobby and ask for a map of Oahu. We regret not doing it sooner- the map they give covers the entire island showing every destination you could possibly want to visit. It was so much easier navigating the island with it than using our GPS. We would just get in the car with the map and go. On resort days we loved sitting in the lazy river, swimming at the beach and took advantage of every tour offered at the resort. As DVC members try the Pu’U Kilo Punch at the ‘Ōlelo Room, it's a DVC only drink special!

Attachments

• olelo.jpg
    olelo.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8
About 5 years ago we spent 2 weeks traveling from San Diego to SF and spent 5 awesome nights at Grand Cali.For us, spending only a couple nights there just seems like kind of a waste. If I were you, I would save up another bunch of points and spend between 4-7 nights ther, rent a car and see some of the area sights such as Santa Monica Pier, Rodeo and Mulholland Drive, etc. And I would spend a week at Aulani and, as a PP mentioned, rent a car. While I am old fashioned and do like a map I can hold, we are totally sold on the Gypsy guide apps you can download to your phone for about $6-$7. We used it on Oahu as well as when we were on Maui and did the Road to Hana. The stuff you learn, as well as the "heads-ups" you get when approaching a potential stop are invaluable. Happy planning!

We come from the east coast to, and considering the price of a trip to Hawaii for us, it's most important to us to maximize our time in Hawaii. That means we don't do west coast stops on the way there or the way back. We'd rather just deal with the time changes and long flight in order to get an extra couple days in Hawaii/Aulani. For us, to fly to California is much cheaper and easier, so I'd rather do DL as a separate trip anyhow.

We come from the east coast too. We have been to Aulani twice for a week. The first time we took RCCL cruise Vancouver to Oahu, then Aulani, this past February we used a week RCI Exchange on Maui, then the week in Aulani.

We are hoping to do the cruise, then Aulani Vacation again in September. Cannot wait until February when it is time to book! There is plenty to keep you interested on Oahu, and in Aulani.

Twice we have been lucky to get GC at 7 months for 3 nights. The first time in a studio, second time in 1 bedroom. It was harder to get anything the second time, a waitlist came through.

I think we've decided to add more nights to Aulani and not do GCV this time. My parents will likely never get back to Hawaii and I don't think they'd be that interested in one day at Disneyland.

Some day my husband and I will go back just for Disneyland and maybe stay at GCV.

ETA: We do plan on flying out West and spending one night and then getting a flight out the next day to Hawaii. We are doing that for a couple reasons. One is that I'm using SW points to get all of us out there and SW doesn't fly to Hawaii. Another is that my dad is a smoker and I'm not sure he could handle going that long without a cigarette! Though if I can get a direct flight from Honolulu back East on the way home for a good price, I might take it!

Last edited:
I think we've decided to add more nights to Aulani and not do GCV this time. My parents will likely never get back to Hawaii and I don't think they'd be that interested in one day at Disneyland.

Some day my husband and I will go back just for Disneyland and maybe stay at GCV.

ETA: We do plan on flying out West and spending one night and then getting a flight out the next day to Hawaii. We are doing that for a couple reasons. One is that I'm using SW points to get all of us out there and SW doesn't fly to Hawaii. Another is that my dad is a smoker and I'm not sure he could handle going that long without a cigarette! Though if I can get a direct flight from Honolulu back East on the way home for a good price, I might take it!

I was gonna say if u can get GCV no brained that is what we did and it was amazing . However this was also my 1st DL trip. Also from east coast and flew direct to jfk home on Hawaaiin. FYI they do not have the air nozzles above which most people find gross but I find essential!

With your parents situation I agree just stay at Aulani it is beautiful.

As for the cigarettes maybe a patch for flight...
Happy planning
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!