Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel?

We are definitely GCH fans here. We have stayed at all 3 many times. I remember back in the day we got GCH for $169/night, oh how I wish we could bring those dates back! BUT we always lean towards GCH whenever possible. We are going Dec 9 - Dec 13 and had reservations at PPH; as an FYI - no discounts any longer at PPH, even for AP's, but anyhow I digress. We booked at PPH because of the cost then I got this "special come back email" and was able to transfer to the GCH for $75/night more! Well worth it.

Here are some of our reasons why we prefer GCH over DLH:

- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION - it makes coming back in the afternoon so much easier for a quick rest or a quick dip in the pool
- The hotel itself, there is zero comparison to the DLH - while staying at the DLH depending on the tower you can be so far removed we didn't even feel like we were at a DLR hotel. Albeit GCH is huge, the beauty of the Craftsman Style architecture are stunning.
- balconies you can actually sit at, stand and people watch (depending on location of room)
- small touches like turn down service (I don't recall DLH doing this, but that may have changed)

Either way you can't go wrong staying at a DLR hotel!

Have fun!

Room size is not an issue for us. Our favorite Disney world resort is Wilderness Lodge which is another reason I'm leaning toward wanting to stay at GCH. That and location! We stayed at DH once and it seemed like a long walk. Just trying to decide if the price difference is justifiable.

If you're staying at DLH with a DTD view which tower is best with closest distance to monorail or park? I'm bringing four kids with an infant.

Room size is not an issue for us. Our favorite Disney world resort is Wilderness Lodge which is another reason I'm leaning toward wanting to stay at GCH...
Wilderness Lodge and Grand Californian are quite similar, since they were designed by the same architect :teacher:

We are definitely GCH fans here. We have stayed at all 3 many times. I remember back in the day we got GCH for $169/night, oh how I wish we could bring those dates back! BUT we always lean towards GCH whenever possible. We are going Dec 9 - Dec 13 and had reservations at PPH; as an FYI - no discounts any longer at PPH, even for AP's, but anyhow I digress. We booked at PPH because of the cost then I got this "special come back email" and was able to transfer to the GCH for $75/night more! Well worth it.

Here are some of our reasons why we prefer GCH over DLH:

- LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION - it makes coming back in the afternoon so much easier for a quick rest or a quick dip in the pool
- The hotel itself, there is zero comparison to the DLH - while staying at the DLH depending on the tower you can be so far removed we didn't even feel like we were at a DLR hotel. Albeit GCH is huge, the beauty of the Craftsman Style architecture are stunning.
- balconies you can actually sit at, stand and people watch (depending on location of room)
- small touches like turn down service (I don't recall DLH doing this, but that may have changed)

Either way you can't go wrong staying at a DLR hotel!

Have fun!
DLH does have turn down service. At least they did when we stayed 3 weeks ago. I still have lots of chocolate left over!

As a DVC member I just love the Grand California over the Disneyland Hotel with the only exception being the pool at DLH. The proximity to the parks and DTD is the best!

I'm a big fan of the Grand Californian, with hundreds of posts to the GCH Superthread and the VGC Superthread.

Some reasons I choose GCH:
  1. Arts and Crafts is a favorite design style, creatively adapted to the scale of a large hotel.
  2. Balconies.
  3. Somewhat more luxurious than DLH (very subjective).
  4. Location. I can go from a GCH room (located near Napa Rose) and be inside DCA in under 2 minutes. Unfortunately some rooms are much more distant.
A few things to note about us:
  1. Usually just 2 of us, so room size is not an issue -- particularly if we get a room with a king bed.
  2. We do not use the pool.

Initiating thread hijack:

Have you ever visited the Gamble house? I have been wanting to go but note sure what time of year best and if we want to do one of the special tours( i am a woodworker by hobby)

...Have you ever visited the Gamble house? I have been wanting to go but note sure what time of year best and if we want to do one of the special tours( i am a woodworker by hobby)
I have not, but certainly need to make the effort. I did recently tour Green Gables in Woodside CA, another Greene and Greene designed home. Green Gables lacked the extensive woodwork seen in the Gamble House (from photos), but the grounds were spectacular -- the home is still privately owned, by decedents of the original owners.

You might find the Art of the Craft Tour interesting (link to recent review).

If you're staying at DLH with a DTD view which tower is best with closest distance to monorail or park? I'm bringing four kids with an infant.

The Adventure Tower is closest to DTD, Frontier is furthest away. Fantasy is the check in tower, so it's close-ish too.But we are talking a matter of minutes here.

If you have booked a DTD view, you should be in the Adventure tower.

The Adventure Tower is closest to DTD, Frontier is furthest away. Fantasy is the check in tower, so it's close-ish too.But we are talking a matter of minutes here.
The distance from the exit of Adventure tower, to "The Hat" compared to the Fantasy tower exit to the Hat is probably less that 25 steps (I will count it next time to be sure.) And while Frontier Tower is maybe 3 minutes past the Adventure Tower, it is closer if you are returning thru the Grand. (We frequently exit DCA thru DCA and cross Disneyland Dr.) I do like the Frontier tower myself.

The Grand's rooms are smaller than the DLH. Also the rooms are kind of dark in comparison in my experience. I guess its all the dark wood. And don't forget the grand is pretty large hotel so you might get a room in a far away corner which can make your walk pretty far in some cases. The Disneyland hotel is better imho.

I have not, but certainly need to make the effort. I did recently tour Green Gables in Woodside CA, another Greene and Greene designed home. Green Gables lacked the extensive woodwork seen in the Gamble House (from photos), but the grounds were spectacular -- the home is still privately owned, by decedents of the original owners.

You might find the Art of the Craft Tour interesting (link to recent review).

Very cool, thanks for posting! I'll have to check out that other house. I know one of the tours available is a walk down the street to 9 of the other Greene and Greene homes. But I kind of want to do the woodworking joinery one, though the Fire and light one sounds awesome too! Well, i hope you get to go soon!

http://gamblehouse.org/tours/walking/

As a DVC member I just love the Grand California over the Disneyland Hotel with the only exception being the pool at DLH. The proximity to the parks and DTD is the best!

:hyper2: As another DVC member I will add, " I completely agree!" :yay: PLUS the hotel rooms are getting OR HAVE already gotten a refurbishment!! :D

If you have booked a DTD view, you should be in the Adventure tower.

The distance from the exit of Adventure tower, to "The Hat" compared to the Fantasy tower exit to the Hat is probably less that 25 steps (I will count it next time to be sure.) And while Frontier Tower is maybe 3 minutes past the Adventure Tower, it is closer if you are returning thru the Grand. (We frequently exit DCA thru DCA and cross Disneyland Dr.) I do like the Frontier tower myself.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a specific area/level I should request for best sight line for the view and fireworks?

The Grand is our Disneyland Resort Preference. We have 10 stays under our belt at the Grand. This time however, we are doing the DLH. Will be our second time at the DLH so we already know what we are getting vs. giving up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter