Great Bargain - Buy Disney Stock Now!

TeenaS

DIS Veteran
Help our beloved Disney! People are cancelling reservations - maybe they are afraid to fly - who knows the reason. Nobody is going to scare me into changing my life. I'm proud of America. They might want me to help destroy the economy by cancelling vacations, flights, etc. but I will not. I'm going to WDW on 10/6/01, 12/6/01 and I just made reservations for 3/23/02. Make your reservations! Buy Disney stock - it is very low right now. A great bargain and the stock certificates are so cute - they have the characters on them. I believe you can purchase them through discount brokers and also on Disney's website by going to the bottom of the page and clicking on "inside the company" and then go to investor relations information and there should be information there. Let's not let fear and terror take over our life. Let's fight back and help the economy by helping the company we all love. Let's defeat those horrible people! And remember - they want you to be afraid to fly but flying before 9/11was safer than driving to work and now it is even more safe. If the airlines go under because we are afraid to fly, it will mean less and less people going to Universal, Disney and vacations in general. It could turn into no airlines, no WDW, no more Universal, on and on ... and they win and we lose. GET MAD - - - FIGHT BACK!

Yes, we should fight terrorism by at least pretending to be unaffected. Go to Disney World and enjoy yourself! Takes your mind off all the world's ills and sorrows as well.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 PORiv
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp planned
*no longer exists

I thought about this yesterday when the market re-opened. I am such a novice about these types of financial matters. I would be interested in purchasing a share or two just for the principal of it. just think if every Disney fan would do the same! But I don't know how to go about purchasing such a small amount. What is a "discount broker" and how could I locate one?

Thanks,
Brenda

I just purchased a single share of Disney Stock from OneShare.com. Go to the Mousesavers site, and it is on there...

I'm no expert but the way I understand it is that a discount broker is a stockbroker that doesn't charge as much to buy/sell your stock and doesn't offer you all the extra services a full service broker does (like advice, etc.) Discount brokers charge a flat fee for transactions and if you are purchasing more than one share of Disney stock you may want to go this route. Make sure you tell them you want to physically hold the stock certificate too. That way you will get the annual reports, quarterly reports, etc. If you go to your yellow pages of the phone book and check under Stock & Bond Brokers, you can find all brokers listed. Just read the ads and pick one that says "discount" and call them and check out their fees.

You can purchase one share through Oneshare.Com

I believe you can also purchase directly through Disney. Supposedly there is information at the bottom of their web site under "Inside the Company" "Investor Relations".

Think Christmas presents too. A share or two of Disney stock makes a wonderful Christmas present!

Sharebuilder.com is recommended by Motely Fool. There is a flat $3 fee per transaction or $8/month for unlimited purchases. You can make a one-time purchase, or set up a regularly monthly purchase with no minimum! You can also automatically reinvest dividends (a pseudo-DRIP). If you do the $3 or $8 - then all transactions are placed once/week - I think on Tuesdays. If you want real-time trading, then it's $15.

To purchase stock directly from Disney, you need to invest a min. of $1000 or have a direct withdrawal of at least $100/month from your checking or savings account until you reach the $1000. There is a $10 start-up fee, plus I think a small monthly fee is you do the monthly withdrawal.

Debra

TeenaS -

Just for your information, you do not need to physically hold the certificates to get quarterly and annual reports from a company. A share or two of frameable Disney stock is nice to hang on the wall - but as a general rule most investors do not want to hold their stock certificates.

For anybody who is thinking of buying 1 or 2 shares of Disney stock I would recommend http://www.oneshare.com

For anybody who is thinking of entering the stock market I would recommend at the very minimum reading through the Motley Fool site first...They also have several books available that are extremely well written and easy to understand. I'm sure there are discount copies of many of them available at half.com

http://www.fool.com

They make several brokerage recommendations on that site. Please remember that when you buy Disney stock you are not just buying the theme parks. Disney is a huge conglomeration of companies in several different industries and their stock prices are affected by hundreds of different things. Research research research!!!!

My husband mentioned last night he may buy some Disney stock, due to the low prices. He is a broker. Check to see if their is Charles Schwabb in your area (discount broker). On line you can try E-Trade. Do NOT pay those extra fees associated with framing and matting your stock, you can do that yourself if you really want to display them.....

I think stock is a great way to start investments for your child. They also love to watch and see how it's doing. What child really needs more toys at Christmas??????? It's great for the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. The child may not be as excited now, but later they will be. My aunt did this for me starting at our birth with bonds.

I am a member of a stock club made of of people I work with. I knew nothing about stocks before I joined. I have really learned alot.

www.better-investing.com is a good place to find stock clubs in your area. (We should start a DIS investment club over the internet.)

I would encourage those of you who say you are novices (like me) to look on www.quicken.com. On the Quicken site go to the ONE-CLICK SCORECARD. Use the NAIC growth method to look at stocks of interest.

Disney has problems in my opinion. They have two problems due to the attack on America. 1. Theme park attendence will go down. 2. Media outlets are less profitable in down economic times. (ABC can't sell ads at the same high rates they did last year).

On the other hand, it is cheap and it would be fun to own Disney. Don't Disney stock holders get some kind of advantage when they go to WDW?

As a financial planner and investment advisor I can say that you guys have the right idea about going to a discount broker.
For all of those who don't know what that means, A discount broker places trades at much lower commission prices than traditional brokers.
Just tell them what you are wanting to do with the shares and they should be able to help you. Just to give you an idea of what type of fee you'll probably pay, I would charge $25 to make a trade like that. And of that $25, $23 of it I would have to pay to my clearing agent. The other $2 would go to mailing your certificates and recordkeeping. So basically I woun't make one cent on a transaction like that.
Also when you purchase the shares make sure you tell them that you want the physical certificate. Otherwise you will never see your actual shares. And yes it is a cool stock certificate.
Hope this Helps,
Jami

If you want to take just a few shares from your portfolio and have separate certificates issued, one for each child to hang on his bedroom wall, you will likely have to pay separate fees for each certificate.

You would probably not want to get a certificate for a large number (a hundred or two hundred or more) of shares. It is more cumbersome to buy and sell stocks when you hold the certificates yourself.

Most major brokerages have over-the-phone trading so you don't have to go online, but IMHO trading online is just as safe as doing it over the phone. Psychologically, trading online is addicting, it tempts investors to get too involved and put at risk much more money then they originally planned to.

I agree with everything that seashore said. Online is just as safe as going to somone in person. But my suggestion would be to go ahead and call up your local planner and start a relationship. Just let them know what you're wanting to do and they will be happy to help you. It's never to early to start a relationship with a local planner. Who knows they may become a life long friend or you might get some other good advice while you are there. And don't worry about being pressured, a good advisor will never pressure you.

Thanks for the advice. I called a local broker and the fee per trade was $50. That's quite a bit for 10 shares or less. I'm still not sure what I'll do. Too bad they can't wave it for smaller transactions when people are trying to support our economy. I realize this cuts their profit as well.

As far as security with online transactions, I do not believe you can guarantee security. Heck, my own bank won't do that (which is why I don't bank online). Things like sending SS# over the internet makes me nervous. Hackers can get into anything. They've gotten students SS# and other information from Indiana University. I believe Amazon even got hacked into and customers information, including CC#, was retrieved. There's no such thing as absolute online security. I do some buying over the internet with one CC# that states it will protect me for unauthorized transactions, but I still don't use it that much. I'd rather call when it concerns my SS#. At least it's a "little" more secure ;)

You can buy one share of Disney at http://www.disneydesktop.com and help America in two ways...first by supporting the stock market, and second by supporting relief efforts for America...profits are being sent to the New York Firefighters' Fund. And OneShare is donating half of their fee, also.

I purchased 20 shares the other day. Okay, I've already lost $30 -- but I bought into it knowing that this would be a rollercoaster ride for awhile. My advice is to buy it knowing that it's going to be a long time (probably years) before you see it go beyond what you purchased for it. Like I said to my broker -- "if it doesn't make money, ultimately, then my money won't be worth anything anyway."

Seize the day -- and maybe you'll do something good for the Wallstreet psyche at the same time.

P.S. I opened up the account just for this purpose. My broker is a friend of mine who I've known for a long time. He works for Paine Webber and they charged $40 -- no monthly or quarterly fees. I don't intend to do a lot of trading so this is why I went this route -- it's the easiest.

I have been buying Disney for my Roth IRA thru Sharebuilders for about 6 mos now and I really believe in that company and dollar cost investing....Right now my investment is down about 40%, but that is the strength of dollar cost averaging into a stock...The shares I buy now are much cheaper!

I used a broker in 1998 to buy some shares. I have not yet made money on the purchase! It was the year that Disney's slump started to build up. I bought them at $38.00 and they were over that only a few days in the last four years. Before I got them, they were selling for $100/share and over, splitting three times in one year, even!

If you want to buy their shares you can even use an online broker service such as DLJ Direct, and others... Some do not even require a minimum deposit.

But, be careful with your expectations. We all love Disney dearly, but they have not been managing their assets in a way that benefits shareholders in the last few years. They spend most of the money that comes in, paying very small dividends.

Wanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter