Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumored capacity is supposed to be higher than Great Movie Ride was (1700) at about 1800-2000.
Everything I’ve heard said great movie ride was about 2400. If what I said is true then that’s actually a great replacement capacity wise, if I’m proven wrong even better

Any updates on the opening date for mickeys runaway rail (or whatever it's called). Last I saw was summer 2019... hoping they might bump it up to spring (march or April?). We are stopping at Disney after a beach vacation in 2019 and only spending 2 days at Disney parks. I'd rather go to Epcot and mk... but if this ride is open we might go to hs instead of Epcot. We have not been to the new toy story land either... but I love Epcot. Thanks!

No one knows yet. There have been no updates. Spring is an aggressive timeline that seems unrealistic.

I saw blog mickey tweet this earlier and I think the corless guy responded that scene installation has been goinng on for weeks. I wasn't able to find a post on corless's own site that said it's been going on for weeks though
I wouldn’t be surprised if it has already started.

But the truth is, not that many people were going on this ride. The park has 120 minutes wate on TSM and no wait on the GMR. People were not doing this ride as they waited for there fast pass time, or cool off.
It was that bad. Disney has to distribute there Guest. To rides so all,the lines are not that long.
The GMR was not doing its part in this.
Just ask your 12 yo. If they know of any of the movies in the GMR, what was the last time a cowboy movie was made. ??? Unfortunately times are changing

I disagree with this 100%. We go at a slow time, end of August and it was always busy. We all loved it and would have to wait over 30 minutes every time. It was a classic. I know you didn't like it but it doesn't mean a lot of other people didn't liked it. To each his own. By the way, my 3 children who are now 15, 15 and 9, all loved it and miss it.

Last edited:
I disagree with this 100%. We go at a slow time, end of August and it was always busy. We all love it and would have to wait over 30 minutes every time. It was a classic. I know you didn't like it but it doesn't mean a lot of people liked it. To each his own. By the way, my 3 children who are now 15, 15 and 9, all loved it and miss it.
Yes, I believe you are in the majority. It was a great ride and really at least in my opinion was the core of the park. It showed the classics of all time to people, and the poster you responded to said, didn't know these movies and it helped give them a historical background to the American movie industry. It's being changed into just another bland ride that provides no education or historical background. Maybe you need a little updating and refreshing in some way but it really needed to stay!

All three of my kids (16,14,11) were sad to hear of its closing. It was a highlight when we went two years ago and it was one of the first they wanted to do again.

Yes, I believe you are in the majority. It was a great ride and really at least in my opinion was the core of the park. It showed the classics of all time to people, and the poster you responded to said, didn't know these movies and it helped give them a historical background to the American movie industry. It's being changed into just another bland ride that provides no education or historical background. Maybe you need a little updating and refreshing in some way but it really needed to stay!
I'm so sad about it closing. This really changes the "old Hollywood" vibe. There is less and less reason for us to go to Hollywood Studios now. The direction it is taking is definitely not what we are into. We skipped it this past July, and I don't foresee us going there anytime in the future.

I disagree with this 100%. We go at a slow time, end of August and it was always busy. We all loved it and would have to wait over 30 minutes every time. It was a classic. I know you didn't like it but it doesn't mean a lot of other people didn't liked it. To each his own. By the way, my 3 children who are now 15, 15 and 9, all loved it and miss it.
I agree with you ..

I didn't go on it on my trip in 2015 because the line was too long to bother waiting for it with little kids .. there were other things that got priority that day. (having it be a Tier 1 FP hurt it ..in my opinion -- I would have rather had a FP for it then be forced to get a pointless one for a show). Would have loved to see it one last time. My kids (despite being preschoolers) probably would have liked it (maybe found the Alien scene too scary) simply because of all the giant scenes and animatronics ..whether the knew the movies or not. Dark rides are great for kids .. just a lot to see whether they "get" it or not.

The ride was simply closed, I gather, due to the sponsorship loss of TMC. I am surprised they closed it before TSL opened .. leaving the park with 4 rides for a few years was an awful decision.

I'm looking forward to the new attraction, but we'll miss GMR for sure. Even though it clearly wasn't as much of a draw as most attractions, it did feel like it embodied the spirit of DHS.

We were happy we got to go to a special event after closing one day where we got to walk through GMR. Nice way to say goodbye. :)

The ride was simply closed, I gather, due to the sponsorship loss of TMC. I am surprised they closed it before TSL opened .. leaving the park with 4 rides for a few years was an awful decision.

I don't think that was the only decision ... I am sure the loss of sponsorship was part of it but also it required a number of CMs to run and, while still popular, it's popularity had gone down a bit ... and mostly I think because it was showing its age and really needed an update so I think knowing they were going to have to put some $ into it they decided to gut it and do something different that would be an additional draw for people to do in addition to Galaxy's Edge

Also, the theme of the park is changing - it's no longer "about the movies" or the movie making process - it's about inserting you into the movies and being ultra immersive, so GMR didn't really fit that (I mean, you could make it fit the theme obviously, but I think that also was an added factor in changing it vs updating it)

Since we’re all taking great movie ride I wanted to pitch in my two cents that I’ve elaborated a lot and yet no one asked for :D:

Great movie ride was my favorite when I was around 4 according to my parents. They told me stories about how I always wanted to reride. As I got older I noticed the dialogue was cheesy and they probably should’ve changed one of the scenes to a more recent movie but most the scenes they had to begin with (except alien, I ducked every time) were amazing and still watching the ending montage on YouTube still gives me goosebumps. I even loved watching the trailers in the queue My last ride on it was the worst I’ve ever had on it. The TCM overhaul should’ve meant it was in good hands but I hated the last ending montage and the script made our hosts bored just waiting for their next queue. I would’ve loved if they had the opportunity to improvise. A film buff as my tour guide or someone super sarcastic would’ve been bliss to me. Even if you didn’t update the scenes that could’ve been amazing in my eyes.

I guess I wasn’t super upset hearing the announcement of its closure. I always remembered reading rumors of its eventual closing along with ET, Twister, and I guess figment for rides that we’ve heard a million rumors about before they've eventually closed (hopefully not for ET though, and this is also coming from someone who can defend the current iteration of figment! I’ll be upset the first day when they inevitably announce figments closure but after that I’ll look forward to the replacement). I remember all the rumors, the 3d villains ride, the guardians of the galaxy premiere ride. When I heard it was Mickey I was stoked. I’m a huge Mickey dork and to finally get a Mickey ride was music to my ears. So when they confirmed Mickey was coming I was actually ok, except for the new art design being used, yuck.

The great movie ride is a ride I’ll never forget. As I tell people, it needed a hug not closed. But the future does sound promising and my last ride on it did leave a sour taste in my mouth which is why I’m not too mournful. But every so often I rewatch the ending montage and it still gives me goosebumps every time

I don't think that was the only decision ... I am sure the loss of sponsorship was part of it but also it required a number of CMs to run and, while still popular, it's popularity had gone down a bit ... and mostly I think because it was showing its age and really needed an update so I think knowing they were going to have to put some $ into it they decided to gut it and do something different that would be an additional draw for people to do in addition to Galaxy's Edge

Also, the theme of the park is changing - it's no longer "about the movies" or the movie making process - it's about inserting you into the movies and being ultra immersive, so GMR didn't really fit that (I mean, you could make it fit the theme obviously, but I think that also was an added factor in changing it vs updating it)
Per many insiders, the decision to close GMR was cost to fix and maintain it, moving to MMRR is a cheaper easier ride to maintain. Had nothing to do with loss of sponsorship. In fact, I believe disney ended the sponsorship, not the other way around

I loved GMR and DHS has always been one of my favorite parks at WDW. Between GMR, the different street acts(which I got pulled into a few times :D ) and the drawing academy, my family and I would always plan a full day at DHS.

That being said, I am fine with the new ride and concept. My only issue is...I would have much prefered they kept GMR, fixed it up and spruced it up, and then placed MMRR in another area to ADD to the park rather than replace.

but that is not the mode WDW is in just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!