Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved GMR and DHS has always been one of my favorite parks at WDW. Between GMR, the different street acts(which I got pulled into a few times :D ) and the drawing academy, my family and I would always plan a full day at DHS.

That being said, I am fine with the new ride and concept. My only issue is...I would have much prefered they kept GMR, fixed it up and spruced it up, and then placed MMRR in another area to ADD to the park rather than replace.

but that is not the mode WDW is in just now.

fully agree with all of that ESPECIALLY since they closed GMR before Toy Story Land even opened so there were really few options left in that park. If they felt they had to totally redo the ride I wish they were able to wait at least until Toy Story Land had opened

fully agree with all of that ESPECIALLY since they closed GMR before Toy Story Land even opened so there were really few options left in that park. If they felt they had to totally redo the ride I wish they were able to wait at least until Toy Story Land had opened
My first visit to MGM (I still call it that I’m not going to lie) after great movie rides closure was a madhouse. I wasn’t sure if it was because of marathon crowds or lack of things to do so I tried not letting it get to me. My next time there I visited 3 hours before close so I got everything that I ride as a walk-on, even midway mania after nine, got a double ride actually from them waiting for people like me who waited til the last second

Touring plans is listing Runaway Railway as an attraction choice for the September 2019 trip we have booked. Sure hope they are right about it being open then! Has there been any mention of a possible height requirement for this? I'm hoping there won't be, because there are so many rides at HS our smallest grands can't ride as it is now.

It's going to likely have to be all-ages family-friendly given that it's Mickey and Minnie... but to be on the safe side, if it's a THRILL ride... it could have the same height restrictions as Space Mountain. If it's a Kid Thrill Ride, it'll have the height restriction of Barnstormer.

From my understanding this is supposed to be the next generation "dark ride". Similar to the Rat ride, but without 3d glasses. I would expect similar height restrictions.

From my understanding this is supposed to be the next generation "dark ride". Similar to the Rat ride, but without 3d glasses. I would expect similar height restrictions.
Used LPS like rat and will be new 2.5D Tech. A mix of screens, projections and physical tech.

I just read today that originally it would open around August and now it's looking like September.

One thing I'm still confused about. How exactly do we travel through the ride? Ive heard everything from walking to some kind of simulator action ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!