Grinchmas vs. Mickey Christmas

Tony M

Remember 1999
Now I don't want to start a fight between Universal and Disney Fans, and I am sure that it will take a few years for word of mouth to reach enough people to make this an even comparison, but I would like opinions on whether or not Grinchmas is a legitimate threat to the Mickey Christmas event.
HAVE FUN

I haven't been to Mickey's party...since it's a hard ticket event...but I don't see them as being even remotely similar...Disney puts on special parades and shows for MVMCP and charges $35 to attend...Grinchmas is included in admission, and while the theming and decorations are awesome...and the show is fun...I just don't see them being compared. I don't think it's Universal's intention to be competing with that particular event...I think it's their way of attracting more day guests...

That said, I think it would be a LOT of fun to have a hard-ticket event at IOA at night....priced somewhat lower than MVMCP, with the Grinch as the "theme"...

I don't think Disney has anything to worry about really...they are always going to attract the families with young children to all of their events...I think that's why Halloween Horror nights is the complete opposite of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party...it's not competition, but rather, something different to offer.

Those are my thoughts on the subject anyway...

Karen

The extra charge for Disney's Christmas is enough for me to turn my head. I can't see paying that much for a Christmas celebration!

Hey, Tony why do you got that awful Kong remake logo for your avatar???;)

I only went to last year's MVMCP and I have attended this and last year's Grinchmas. Here are my comparisons:

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Pros
-Hard Ticket Event, which means fewer guests in park during day = shorter lines
-Special Fireworks
-Snow
-Free Photo, Hot Choc + Cookies
-Lots of characters
-Xmas Parade + shows

Cons
-Hard Ticket Event, which means you have to pay to get in
-NO AP DISCOUNT
-Some features of the party will be for all to see in the MK closer to Xmas
-Getting more crowded every year

Grinchmas

Pros
-Included in admission to IOA
-Kids get in free w/ Publix promo
-Special shows
-You can see the Grinch obviously
-Snow...and you can play with it too

Cons
-This is the only part of IOA that seems to be in the Xmas sprit
-Age limit for Mt Crumpit and Snow play
-Since SL is painted brightly, it is kinda warm (on warmer days)
-Grinchmas is CROWDED on the weekends
-Other than Grinch, other characters are not as accessible

For the past several years we've been gone to both Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. This year we decided that Grinchmas was the better of the two (it helped that we have annual passes) and decided to skip MVMCP. Here's my list of pros/cons...I won't repeat the ones listed in the prior post.

Mickey Pros
Quentin just about covered all of them.

Mickey Con's
Runs from 8:00pm until 1:00am. What the @#!&* are they thinking here? Not many kids are still awake and in a good mood by 1:00am. Be prepared to carry the kids all the way back to the car.

Parades. Sorry, I just don't like them. They screw up the crowd flow thru the entire park.

Many attractions are not open during MVMCP.

The only place really decorated for Christmas seems to be Main Street USA.

Grinch Pros
Everyone in Suess Landing seems to really get into the spirit and play the part. It feels like you've walked into WhoVille. I found the Whoville characters to be very accessable and willing to interact with the guests. Don't see much of this at MVMCP.

Small attractions (ice slide, snow, Grinch's lair) which are exclusive to the event.

Grinch Cons
Since it's not a separate ticketed event, it can get crowded.

You have to attend the Grinch show 4 times to see the whole thing! Worth it though.

You have to attend the Grinch show 4 times to see the whole thing!

Just to clarify, and keep anyone from becoming confused by this...the WhoBilation is actually done in 3 parts...

I know some people like to plan out each moment of their vacation time! :D

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter