Groceries at Aulani

Karebear

DIS Veteran
Hello

We will be staying at Aulani this summer and we will not have a car. I don't want to buy a lot of groceries, but I was wondering if there is a store onsite that sells milk, juice, water and breakfast stuff like muffins? We have stayed at the BC/YC quite a bit and I am wondering how it compares to their grocery selection. Any info/help would be appreciated!

There is a store that sells some grocery items at Aulani however across the road there is a large ABC store that will have more choices - it is a convenience store that sells everything from groceries, alcohol, ready to eat meals, souvenirs etc.

You can easily Uber to kapolei, about 10 minutes away, for a Safeway, target, Costco etc. Some cab companies will stop for you on the way to aulani. We eat breakfast in room, make lunch To bring to pool , have wine in the lanai with cheese and crackers and eat dinner out.
The ABC store has a good selection but it is still higher than a reg grocery store. And the aulanI market is ridiculously expensive for what you get. Im assuming you have a kitchen? The fridge in the studio is really small and doesn’t hold much, also I’ve found it’s not real cold.

You can easily Uber to kapolei, about 10 minutes away, for a Safeway, target, Costco etc. Some cab companies will stop for you on the way to aulani. We eat breakfast in room, make lunch To bring to pool , have wine in the lanai with cheese and crackers and eat dinner out.
The ABC store has a good selection but it is still higher than a reg grocery store. And the aulanI market is ridiculously expensive for what you get. Im assuming you have a kitchen? The fridge in the studio is really small and doesn’t hold much, also I’ve found it’s not real cold.

Just to confirm that the on-site store has the essentials, just like all the other DVC/hotel gift shops at other resorts, but the price mark up is high. For breakfast items like muffins, you're probably better off going to Ulu Cafe (which is the quick service location at Aulani). And ABC does have a decent selection, but no deals will be had. During our last trip in November, a 12-pack of soda at the Target in Kapolei was $5-$6 if I remember right. At ABC it was $12.99. The Uber ride will literally pay for itself.

Also, remember that in Hawaii, you have to bring your own grocery bags or buy the reuseable bags from whatever store you are in. There is no option to buy a 10 cent paper bag from the store like here in California.

While we don't rent a car for the duration of the vacation, we rent a car at Aulani our first day (its a 24 hour rental) and go first to Costco, then Safeway and Target to fill in the blanks. For a week long stay, we will only eat out, at most, twice.

Truthfully, I'd hit up the Costco in an Uber. You can stock up on your kids staples like Mac-n-cheese, Cereal, or fruit and such. Big savings when the local stores sell a gallon of milk for $7

For basic items like you mention, I personally think the Island Market (ABC Store) across the street is your best bet. It will be slightly cheaper with a bigger selection than the store at Aulani, and will save you the Uber trip to the grocery store if you only need a couple things. If you don't want a lot of groceries, I would avoid Costco because most items there are sold in bulk and they require a membership for shopping. I know it never makes sense for us, as only 2 travelers with no Costco in our region.

While we don't rent a car for the duration of the vacation, we rent a car at Aulani our first day (its a 24 hour rental) and go first to Costco, then Safeway and Target to fill in the blanks. For a week long stay, we will only eat out, at most, twice.
what was the rough cost for a 1 day rental??

what was the rough cost for a 1 day rental??
Aulani has an on-site Alamo and prices will vary depending on how busy they are. They can sometimes run out of cars, so its recommended to book it in advance. I just picked a random day in the next few weeks, and prices are about $75-$100 for the 24 hour period, depending on the size vehicle you'd need. If you are not staying on DVC points, I believe you'd also be subject to $37 for parking if you keep it for the full 24 hours.

The Marriott up the street has an on-site Enterprise, which is walking distance from Aulani. I'd imagine their prices are competitive, but sometimes people prefer one company over the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter