Guest with disability first time visit

WalloghbyWay

Mouseketeer
I am doing research for a friend who has only been to WDW once, They were with adults that trip. They have a child with a severe disability. The child is permanently in a wheel chair and has limited speech and motor capabilities. She has expressed interest in going to WDW with the kids but when the discussion came up I could see the worry and stress in her face just talking about possibly visiting the parks.

my question is: does WDW have special departments that would assist in booking trips with these kinds of situations in mind? Maybe put them in the right direction as far as reservations and accommodations? Many of us who visit the parks know how much planning goes into things. Was hoping WDW had a team to take some pressure off for those with severely disabled guests.

any advice is appreciated.

She can contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com . I don't think they exactly offer comprehensive TA services to help planning, but they are great with answering questions or addressing concerns and will help her decide what resort room best suits the family's needs, etc.

Thanks for helping this family and I hope they enjoy their vacation!

She can contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com . I don't think they exactly offer comprehensive TA services to help planning, but they are great with answering questions or addressing concerns and will help her decide what resort room best suits the family's needs, etc.

Thanks for helping this family and I hope they enjoy their vacation!
Awesome. Thank you for this. I will give her the information. Thats very helpful.

Most lines at Disney can accommodate a wheelchair so she will be like any other guest in that way her family will have to mover her from her wheelchair to the ride vehicle when there is no wheelchair accessible ride car ( some rides she can take her wheelchair on) depending on how heavy she is and if transforming from wheelchair to ride vehicle is easy or not

With the speech problem As long as she can communicate with her parents that should not be much of a problem with the meet and great the characters are pretty good at communicating with kids and adults that have a hard time talking.

If she is older her parents might want to give her a pice of paper in case she get separated form the group that says something like I have a hard time communicating and I have lost my parents and maybe there phone number

Not sure what else the family has concerns about but it really should be just like any other trip to Disney

She does need to do a lot of research - we all do. Most of WDW is accessible by wheelchair - some rides have wheelchair accessible vehicles, some may require a transfer to a seat, and that info is available on their website. What else does she think she would need for her child to access the parks? If she could give you some info, we could assist.

She does need to do a lot of research - we all do. Most of WDW is accessible by wheelchair - some rides have wheelchair accessible vehicles, some may require a transfer to a seat, and that info is available on their website. What else does she think she would need for her child to access the parks? If she could give you some info, we could assist.
Thank you. I will ask. I think transportation was a concern if they stayed on/off property. Staying off property they are on their own. On property I’m sure all of the transport options accommodate

Thank you. I will ask. I think transportation was a concern if they stayed on/off property. Staying off property they are on their own. On property I’m sure all of the transport options accommodate
Of staying on site all busses can take at lest two people with wheelchair ECV and all other forms of transportation can take wheelchair or ECV ( then only ones are the very small boats that go from the MK to some of the closer hotel like the grand Floridian fort wilderness ) and if not staying at one of those should not be a problem at all. Some hotels have more then one stop so the space for wheelchair ECV can fill up during busy times

They'd need to rent a car if staying in one of the condo-like places, hotels in the area have infrequent shuttles. Onsite resorts have buses, some have boats, monorail, skyliner gondolas, and all are accessible. Onsite will definitely be easier, but more expensive.

I suggest staying on site and using a rental car. Using the buses is convenient, until it is not. Waiting in the bus queue, worried that they might not get on due to the limitations of the buses and the increase in ECVs and wheelchairs, and just the sheer stimuli of a day in the parks--I think using a car and parking at the theme parks is a better choice.

If it is in the budget, a DVC villa might be a good option--larger room and one bedrooms and higher have a full size kitchen. Depending on the child's special needs, a kitchen may be a godsend. It was for my autistic nephew who has a very limited palate.

If they can go at a less crowded time, that would also be helpful. Avoid the high energy-sapping heat of sun, and the crazy crowds of Spring Break/Easter/Christmas.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread or look near the top of this board.
Post 1 of that thread is an index that tells which post contains which information.
Posts 18 thru 21 have information about accessibility, including which attractions have wheelchair accessible ride cars.
All attraction lines are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding - exception Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island and Tomorrowland Transit Authority (Peoplemover).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!