Gulf State Park DIS Meet 2019 (Episode 4)

Maybe it's just semi trailers that aren't allowed. That is specifically what the article Ed posted said.
Hopefully they have some sort of "RV" lanes. I just mapped it. 695 miles if I go west and come down I-55 and then 45 through Meridian or 753 miles if I go the I-65 route through B'ham. Both of those are easy without a fuel stop until I get to Buc-ee's.

j

1068 miles one way on this trip, 2136 miles round trip. Let's see. Fuel tanks 234 Gallons, at 9mpg would cover 2106 miles. Guess I have to fuel up somewhere on the way home.

Hopefully they have some sort of "RV" lanes. I just mapped it. 695 miles if I go west and come down I-55 and then 45 through Meridian or 753 miles if I go the I-65 route through B'ham. Both of those are easy without a fuel stop until I get to Buc-ee's.

j

Hwy 45 is 4 lane all the way through MS, but when you cross into Alabama it goes to 2 lane. That's where the religion gets lost pretty quick. Never fails, speed limit 55 and grandpa in the van going 40. Too many curves and hills to pass. It's doable, just get ready to be irritated. Hwy 45 actually only barely touches Meridian, in fact, you won't even see Meridian unless you come in on Interstate 20 and then get on Hwy 45 from there.

Hwy 45 is 4 lane all the way through MS, but when you cross into Alabama it goes to 2 lane. That's where the religion gets lost pretty quick.
I've always taken the eastern I-65 route. Google says it is 60 miles further, but only 10 minutes longer. I'll take those 10 minutes if I don't have to lose my religion. :D

j

Hwy 45 is 4 lane all the way through MS, but when you cross into Alabama it goes to 2 lane. That's where the religion gets lost pretty quick. Never fails, speed limit 55 and grandpa in the van going 40. Too many curves and hills to pass. It's doable, just get ready to be irritated. Hwy 45 actually only barely touches Meridian, in fact, you won't even see Meridian unless you come in on Interstate 20 and then get on Hwy 45 from there.

My poor little ol' state is too busy building big 4 lanes to the beach to send a dump truck or two of asphalt over to Hwy 45....:confused3

My poor little ol' state is too busy building big 4 lanes to the beach to send a dump truck or two of asphalt over to Hwy 45....:confused3
I thought it was to discourage the riff raff from MS to come across the state line. :D

j

Hey Guys & Gals, Gina and I made the short trip to Buc-ees. First off the place is really awesome. It's like a Wawa and a Quick Trip (QT) supersized. They have so much stuff it's crazy. Every kind of snacks drinks and coffees known to man. Fresh made bar be que and sandwiches salads and meats and cheeses. It's like a tourist attraction for road people. They have tons or toys, games and souvenirs. We went after dark so pictures were not taken. About those 120 gas pumps. There are plenty. All under a large canopy that will hold RVs and campers. There are no dedicated RV lanes that I saw but the pumps are set far enough away from the building you should be able to get into most of them. I was pleasantly surprised that the fuel prices were the same as by my house. That area is usually 10 cents a gallon higher or more. So I highly recommend this as a place to stop, fuel and eat. This will be our regular stop going to the Gulf from now on. PS the restrooms are sparkling clean.

Last edited:
Thanks for the firsthand account, Flametamr/Joe. :jumping1:

Would like to make a motion, if I may ? I formally propose we invite dgarnes03, The current Sitting Little Old Lady From Pasadena, AKA Dear Mrs. Bert's Mom, and have her REFEREE the suggested Gator Rasslin . Having met her during her all too brief visit in Jan with her little boy, Number 1 Daughter in Law and The Rock Star I can attest that woman has hidden talents we can all use. I have to admit I was amazed with speed in which she organized that impromptu Skinny Dipping - Chunky Dunking party. But her skills as a lifeguard were the talk of the Wagging Tails Dog Park up to the day we left

Well we have our travel sites booked for the trip down. Working on the trip home, waiting on a reply from a place in Gadsden, as to if we will fit. Then I can make final reservations this week and we will be all set to travel for the Gulf.

Update: All reservations for this trip have been made and we are good to go. Need to get a few things done with the trailer and truck, but all in good time.

Last edited:
Well we have our travel sites booked for the trip down.
Holy Cow.

I haven't even decided what day we are leaving. I know we arrive on Friday, the 24th, but haven't even thought of if we would leave Thursday after work (likely) or just leave early Friday morning. It's 12-13 hours with stops.

j

Holy Cow.

I haven't even decided what day we are leaving. I know we arrive on Friday, the 24th, but haven't even thought of if we would leave Thursday after work (likely) or just leave early Friday morning. It's 12-13 hours with stops.

j

I have the two days down showing about 9 hours of travel each day, so about 11 hours with bathroom stops for us and the dog. I will fill tanks before our trip, so should not have to stop.

Would like to make a motion, if I may ? I formally propose we invite dgarnes03, The current Sitting Little Old Lady From Pasadena, AKA Dear Mrs. Bert's Mom, and have her REFEREE the suggested Gator Rasslin . Having met her during her all too brief visit in Jan with her little boy, Number 1 Daughter in Law and The Rock Star I can attest that woman has hidden talents we can all use. I have to admit I was amazed with speed in which she organized that impromptu Skinny Dipping - Chunky Dunking party. But her skills as a lifeguard were the talk of the Wagging Tails Dog Park up to the day we left
OMG Mike, it's hard to live up to such high praise!! I need to find some gators while we're here in Florida and practice my Rasslin referee skills!

As long as she isn't claiming any NFL experience then she should be good.

As long as she isn't claiming any NFL experience then she should be good.

After an exhaustive backround check conducted by the prestigious firm of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe They report that in her youth she did briefly flirt with the Norwegian Frisbee League but it lasted only for an extremely short time and was never very serious. I suggest that we consider this a trivial instance of misguidance youthful rebellion

After an exhaustive backround check conducted by the prestigious firm of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe They report that in her youth she did briefly flirt with the Norwegian Frisbee League but it lasted only for an extremely short time and was never very serious. I suggest that we consider this a trivial instance of misguidance youthful rebellion

Qualified!

Qualified!
While I fully agree there Tiggerdad I need remind you that the question was positted as a proposal and that I believe requires an Engagement ring to be offered by someme taking a knee while offering it, or a second (I did check the official rules for dueling on it) to the motion

Last edited:
I'll second the motion.

We will need someone to explain the story to the cops. We can all point and say, "She's the referee".

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter