Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Kris & Bert, I am so sorry for your loss!! Can hardly type with tears in my eyes. The one time we were able to meet the Rock Stars we were so happy to meet them.Yeti had a great Mom & Dad!! Thank you for taking such great care of your baby. I know Yeti sister is missing her so much.I feel your sadness, I lost my Border Collier this July will be 2 yrs., Still can't talk about Annie with out crying. So sad y'all will not make GSP, you 3 will be missed!

So we got our truck back today, with my wallet a little lighter. They changed the starter, put the correct one in, changed an electrical harness that needed changing, also got state inspection done. Now to call the welding shop that will mount the hitch, and take the truck to see them on Monday. That will be the last piece of the puzzle and we will be ready to camp !!!!

p
Sounds like there was a problem with the original so they slapped in one they had on hand. But not to worry it's covered by the dealers famous 30/30 warranty. Thirty minutes or 30 miles whichever comes first

Most likely, and well I think covers the warranty.

So we got our truck back today, with my wallet a little lighter.
Buddy of mine was an OTR driver for 20+ years said the starter probably quit on the road somewhere and they brought out the closest starter on the shelf and made it work to get rolling again. Since it worked initially, they just left it or forgot about it.

Glad you are back in business. Now the final piece before the trip to the Gulf.

j

When everyone Eastvound takes exit 49 off I10 for the Beach Express, glance to the right and you'll see a new gas station being built, I believe it's the first Buc-ee's built outside of Texas, 150 pump gas station, I've been in one before, it's more like a mini mall. But sorry @PaHunter no big trucks allowed, you and I will to still stop at the Loves on Hwy 59 @ I10 :sad2:

Just called about site 36, which is showing as available for 22 - 28th. The person in reservations told me that it doesn't show up on her end. I can even check just the 25th - 28th, and it still shows up as available. It's frustrating. I have the 20th till the 25th right now, but cant use the first two nights and would have to change anyway.

This is not the first time I've called and something is showing up, but they won't book it. She did tell me that there were 100 people on the waiting list, so I guess that there is no way to book what is showing and no need to check any longer. I understand the waiting list, but don't understand if the availability is showing for several days in a row that they won't book it.

Editing---It's gone now. Don't know what happened to that site, but that whole week is gone. Evidently, they booked it for someone else. The other thing that is frustrating, is that I've been told all sorts of things each time I've called. Was told no booking for either ends of weekends due to music festival and also Memorial holiday. Next time was offered 20th to 25th, or 21st to 26th. I asked to have a second to look at the sites as I'm tent camping, but she hung up on me.

Last edited:
Maxine,

It sounds very frustrating.

Why don't you book a reservation for the Gulf DIS Meet 2019 around Memorial Day week now in case you can't get in for 2018? There are plenty of spots available and you can book that now. We'd love to have another DIS'ser like yourself there. You can always move/cancel/trim days according to the rules. But as you see, it's hard to "add" nights close in to time.

Go to www.alapark.com, choose "Find a Park" at the top, scroll down to Gulf State Park, and over on the right side click "Book Online Reservations Now". Search your dates, pick your site, and make the reservation. When you add your credit card and book the one night deposit, there is a screen that will come up at some point that shows your reservation number, all the nights you've booked, and that you paid the deposit.

PRINT/SAVE that screen.

Gulf's reservation system is not as good as ReserveAmerica's and it won't send you an email confirmation (learned that the hard way). My little ol' state park system is not very sophisticated.

Good luck.

Bama Ed

PS - here are my observations about sites and 2019:

Screenshot 2018-05-12 at 6.17.23 PM.png

Sites 6 and 7 have big oaks behind them that provide afternoon shade. Everything on the lake side (sites 11-39) have NO shade but they are lakefront (watch Tiggerdad wrestle the alligators from under your awning).

Site 60 is across from the Comfort Station (they are air conditioned). It has a big oak for daytime shade but the very backside is open so you might get 2-3 hours of sun before it sets in the west.

Some folks like the Garnes stay on Bobcat Road (site 83-103) and it is my favorite spot when I come down in November many years. Site 83 is cut into the shade trees behind it and the trailer door side faces the fish cleaning table there along the main road that has a sink, running water, and a long cutting surface where folks cut/gut their catch from the Gulf in the afternoon hours. For somebody like Loves2Fish or 2goofycampers (yes, our very own Frank and Denise), that would be a PERFECT site. It is a VERY short walk to the lake/Live Oak where many of us congregate. The Garnes are down around site 98 and I like to stay in 94 or 96 in November.

I stay on Sumac sometimes too when it's not summer. Little shade but the wind in the winter can be strong coming off the lake and the sites along Live Oak Road. 61-65 are in the wind then and the rest are sheltered by the oaks on Live Oak Road. I've stayed on Sumac a couple times and would again.

Hope these comments helps. If anyone has any more questions about area (not sites, please, there are 500 of them) you can PM me.

When everyone Eastvound takes exit 49 off I10 for the Beach Express, glance to the right and you'll see a new gas station being built, I believe it's the first Buc-ee's built outside of Texas, 150 pump gas station, I've been in one before, it's more like a mini mall. But sorry @PaHunter no big trucks allowed, you and I will to still stop at the Loves on Hwy 59 @ I10 :sad2:

Randy,

150 pumps? :dancer:

Geeze Louise, that should mean no waiting.

Gas prices in Gulf Shores are high to fleece the tourist trash and back on I10 (at the Beach Express exit or the Hwy 59 exit) are the best gas prices you will encounter that far south on your way to Gulf. I swear the gas stations in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach on Monday-Thursday have reasonable prices but Friday-to-Sunday they jack them up to rip off the tourists. I learned my lesson about four decades ago... :sad2:

Oh we will have stopped long before getting close, and will make sure we can get back out to reasonable gas. We can carry 234 gallons, so we have a little bit of range.

So did some Dismeet food shopping today. We have onions, pickles, hot dogs for Friday night. We have perogies to make for the Saturday evening event.
I know BamaEd had mentioned hamburgers and chicken for Friday that he was cooking.

Site 83 is cut into the shade trees behind it and the trailer door side faces the fish cleaning table there along the main road that has a sink, running water, and a long cutting surface where folks cut/gut their catch from the Gulf in the afternoon hours. For somebody like Loves2Fish or 2goofycampers (yes, our very own Frank and Denise), that would be a PERFECT site.

Got it! Born2Fish and I hopefully there 2020 in site 83.

So did some Dismeet food shopping today. We have onions, pickles, hot dogs for Friday night. We have perogies to make for the Saturday evening event.
I know BamaEd had mentioned hamburgers and chicken for Friday that he was cooking.

Sounds good.

@bama_ed , you're on for hamburgers and chicken Friday, I'll bring lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Do we want fries? I can fry some homemade fries if needed. Have potato slicer and will travel. Of course, I could just get some frozen fries and bake them on the Holland grill. Just let me know.

Well guess it is time to pop the slides out and get the trailer loaded up for the trip. Rain in the forecast for the entire week, hopefully by the weekend is better, so we can finish everything up.
Going to take the truck tomorrow and have the hitch installed, then later in the week need some new tires, ugh.
OT at work for the entire summer, so looking forward to kicking back and working on the puzzle with bamaEd and everyone else.

I'm finishing up bush hogging this property and getting it clean cut now that it's dry enough. This way I'm not on vacation thinking about things around house I should be doing.

Next weekend is my getting ready weekend. Changing oil, washing camper and truck, getting linens washed and grill cleaned.

Well the new Gulf State Park Lodge looks like it will be ready for occupancy in November 2018 according to the current plan. Being operated by Hilton, it already has an online presence which is booking dates starting with February 2019 (safety cushion?).

The rooms will be mostly kings with a pair of bunk beds. I checked rates for spring break 2019 (March) and the rack rate is $280+something plus tax (no including the slightly lower pre-pay rate).

Gulf Lodge 2018.png

Here is the link:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/al...-state-park-a-hilton-hotel-PNSLGHH/index.html

Makes me grateful for my $50 campsite at Gulf. And of course the park has some nice cabins and cottages (but I blanch at guessing what they cost during spring break).

Well my DD is back home from the Disney College Program. Let's just say having her back is taking a LITTLE BIT of an adjustment on all our parts. :crazy: We also got through the Mother's Day events. So now I can finally concentrate on getting ready for the Gulf meet.

In about a week I'll start stalking the weather forecasts. :umbrella: or :beach: . Which will it be?

Bama Ed

Well the new Gulf State Park Lodge looks like it will be ready for occupancy in November 2018 according to the current plan. Being operated by Hilton, it already has an online presence which is booking dates starting with February 2019 (safety cushion?).

The rooms will be mostly kings with a pair of bunk beds. I checked rates for spring break 2019 (March) and the rack rate is $280+something plus tax (no including the slightly lower pre-pay rate).

View attachment 322530

Here is the link:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/al...-state-park-a-hilton-hotel-PNSLGHH/index.html

Makes me grateful for my $50 campsite at Gulf. And of course the park has some nice cabins and cottages (but I blanch at guessing what they cost during spring break).

Well my DD is back home from the Disney College Program. Let's just say having her back is taking a LITTLE BIT of an adjustment on all our parts. :crazy: We also got through the Mother's Day events. So now I can finally concentrate on getting ready for the Gulf meet.

In about a week I'll start stalking the weather forecasts. :umbrella: or :beach: . Which will it be?

Bama Ed

Well hope DD enjoyed her DCP time. And yes, after leaving and coming back, it is a bit of a challenge. I moved back home after being away in the military. And yes I guess the Gulf meet is approaching.....

Well truck has been dropped off at the metal fabricators. Time to get the hitch installed, and then we will be ready to tow. Tomorrow is a long day, OT at work, and then training for my second job in the evening, up at 4am, hopeful that I will be in bed by 11. Is it vacation time yet ??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!