Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Sounds good.

@bama_ed , you're on for hamburgers and chicken Friday, I'll bring lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Do we want fries? I can fry some homemade fries if needed. Have potato slicer and will travel. Of course, I could just get some frozen fries and bake them on the Holland grill. Just let me know.

If the fries are easy, Michael, sure. Whatever style you want to do (fresh or frozen).

Doing a nose count, I am guessing the following number of people: Ed (2), Michael (4), Arnold (2), Chris (2), Randy (2-3?), Joe (2-3?). Total is 14-16 (Joe and Randy, post back how many people in your group that first Friday). Being "locals", I know your numbers might fluctuate on any given day there.

Can we get a volunteer or two to bring a dessert?

ED

PS - gonna miss the Garnes' grilled veggies and Jim's bbq pork steaks this trip... Bert doesn't overcook his vegs which is good.

Put me down for the deserts. Suggestions ?? I will have 3-4 people.

Got my grill cleaned up today. Went over to my barn and fetched some pecan wood to cut up for using in grill and smoker.

Hey I found something that a few might need. Blossman gas is running a special Friday May 25th for Memorial day weekend. They will fill up to three 20 pound propane tanks for 5 bucks each. That's at least a 10 dollar savings or more per tank. I have 2 empty and plan to go. There is an office in Foley right off the beach express. If anyone wants to participate let me know. If I have to I can wait until later in the day as I know some may be checking in that day. Here is their address 15455 Co Rd 73, Foley, AL. Meant to add it's only a short detour on the way to the campgrounds if anyone wants to stop on the way. No way to get lost it's on the same road.

Last edited:
Figures, I just filled mine up in March when I went to Disney.

I will have to check the one I plan on using for my griddle. Our trailer has 30 pounders and they are fuel from our snowy trip to TN.
We are awaiting a call to pick up our truck, with the hitch installed. Most likely will have to pick it up after work tomorrow. We have the trailer open and checking, loading some of the stuff we need. The rain is not helping at all, as I now need to cut my grass again, but it is soaked.

Chris I understand you situation. My yard is overdue cutting and I really am not motivated to do it but have to get it done before camping. It rained heavy here yesterday so it will take a day or two to dry back out. From Sunday on my time is filled up with commitments. Sunday I have a charity motorcycle ride. Monday I have a job interview and a MRI on my back. Tuesday I have a contract job driving a bus for a school field trip and Wednesday I check in to the campgrounds. So I will be packing Tuesday night and Wednesday morning as usual before going.

And well, found out today that the truck will not be done until Monday. So that is really putting me behind the 8 ball. I will still have to wire the air compressor for the hitch, not a big deal, but still. I also need to take the truck and get tires, that will take some time. Also need to hook up and do a test pull. At least once we get to the Gulf, I can nap....maybe.

And well, found out today that the truck will not be done until Monday. So that is really putting me behind the 8 ball. I will still have to wire the air compressor for the hitch, not a big deal, but still. I also need to take the truck and get tires, that will take some time. Also need to hook up and do a test pull. At least once we get to the Gulf, I can nap....maybe.

Nap?

What's that?

Got my camper washed today. Got oil changed in truck and got bikes cleaned up. Cut up the pecan wood for Randy to try in the smoker as well. Tomorrow I'll tackle the inside of the camper but I'm planning on sleeping in in the morning. 13 straight days of early arrival to work has me desiring a few extra hours sleep.

Oiled up the bikes this morning.

Gonna wash the car and campers tomorrow ad prep the trailer (put sheets on the bed, inventory needs, etc.).

I wanted to ask a question to past Gulf DIS Meet attendees: I'd like to go over to Pensacola Naval Air Station and do some mix of the Museum, Blue Angel practice, and/or Lighthouse). Isn't there some issue about entering NAS that requires a high degree of identification? Like being able to prove citizenship? Passports, etc.? I remember some folks couldn't enter in past years after driving over there.

Bama Ed

PS - asking before "google it" becomes the next step.

PPS - found my delta wing kite from past trips too

Last edited:
Well we washed the camper, well not exactly, mother nature has been washing it for a few days now. DW is doing some shopping for the trip today, I have been in and out getting stuff in the trailer ready, packing and trying to be ready to leave.

Oiled up the bikes this morning.

Gonna wash the car and campers tomorrow ad prep the trailer (put sheets on the bed, inventory needs, etc.).

I wanted to ask a question to past Gulf DIS Meet attendees: I'd like to go over to Pensacola Naval Air Station and do some mix of the Museum, Blue Angel practice, and/or Lighthouse). Isn't there some issue about entering NAS that requires a high degree of identification? Like being able to prove citizenship? Passports, etc.? I remember some folks couldn't enter in past years after driving over there.

Bama Ed

PS - asking before "google it" becomes the next step.

PPS - found my delta wing kite from past trips too

Your drivers license is fine. Gotta have photo ID. There are a few stars (Illinois is one of them, sorry Jim that are not approved drivers license to enter federal bases) and they need passports to enter.

Randy posted the Blue Angels practice schedule back in March on this thread. We were intending to go back but will have to miss this year due to our shorter stay this go around.

PS
DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING ONCE ON BASE! ESPECIALLY NOT AT THE TIME YOU ARE DRIVING THROUGH THE GATE!

Sorry Joe, just had to mention it.

Last edited:
Ed,

Two years ago they said there were 4 states that didn't comply with the federal ID requirements. Mo and IL were the only 2 anywhere near GSP. (I don't remember the other 2). Since then, it appears all states are either compliant or have an extension until October 2018. HERE is the link to the Homeland Security site with details.

j

Ed,

Two years ago they said there were 4 states that didn't comply with the federal ID requirements. Mo and IL were the only 2 anywhere near GSP. (I don't remember the other 2). Since then, it appears all states are either compliant or have an extension until October 2018. HERE is the link to the Homeland Security site with details.

j

PA was another state, they have since started issuing licenses with the real id criteria.

Well looking at the available reservations for Gulf Shores, it appears that our site is open on Thursday night. Hmm, what are the chances we can roll in early ?? Would only be by about 2 hours early, since we will be traveling from Gadsden.

Pasting from another thread that i made:

When you get to Gulf, Chris, you're going to want to sit in your shade tunnel and enjoy the view of the lake across the road. I remember it when I took pix for you of the site last year; I hope when you get down here you can relax.

I have washing the Suburban, camper, and checking/airing up tires on the agenda this afternoon.

We probably won't get away until 2pm on Thursday. I've driven the most direct route out of Titletown to Gulf Shores a couple times now and am not a fan of it. It ends up coming into the Mobile area on Hwy 43 and I get on I65 to I165 and go over the big bridge ( and pick up the Causeway by the USS Alabama and then hop on I10). It's a lot of 2-lane highways past catfish ponds and 4-lane highways with speed traps and the occasional red light.

My alternatives (according to Google maps) is to either swing out west to Meridian and take Hwy 45 south (the tiggerdad route) or swing out to the east and take the 2-4 lane to Montgomery (no red lights till down around Montgomery and then very few) and pick up I65 and get off at the Bay Minette exit (the route that PaHunter will likely take) and then run down to Gulf. It's 15 minutes longer per G-maps but I like the idea of cruising on the interstate for 2+ hours. Plus that's the route I drove to the beach for the last 25 years from Birmingham so I'm familiar with every gas station, rest stop, bbq joint, and Wal Mart along that route. So I'm going to try that eastern route even though it's a little longer on the way down.

That will put me down there about 630pm and do a light set-up that night. Lisa has been working hard this past week and this week will be full again so if I can keep her off her phone while she's in Gulf I hope she can relax and unwind like PaHunter.

Tick tock.

Bama Ed

Well looking at the available reservations for Gulf Shores, it appears that our site is open on Thursday night. Hmm, what are the chances we can roll in early ?? Would only be by about 2 hours early, since we will be traveling from Gadsden.

Chances are good at this point that it will remain empty for a Thursday night.

You'll be coming into Gulf the same way I will be travelling, PaHunter. There are no hangups that direction I'm aware of. Get off I65 at exit 37, turn left at the end of the ramp, and basically stay straight for a while. Go through Bay Minette and you'll be travelling on combined Hwy 59/31. In the town of Stockton (2 lanes each direction with a 5th middle lane) Hwys 59 and 31 separate at a Y-intersection with a light and you'll bear left following 59. About 10 minutes south of the is I10 that you will get on eastbound for about 5 miles then exit south onto the Baldwin Beach express. At the 3rd traffic light, the highway takes a 90-degree left turn (2 lane turn) onto the Foley Beach Express through a couple red lights, agriculture, and turf farms to the Orange Beach Toll Bridge.

Actually, it's a pretty clean shot for you coming out of Gadsden. :drive:

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter