Half-donkey pre-trip plan

jevs

Boring Poster
I've had so much help from disboards with previous trips I thought I would start a pre-trip plan for our upcoming trip later in the year. Also I have a couple of uni assessments due next week and figured this is a great use of my time rather than my usual clean-the-oven procrastination style:rotfl2:

I travel with my three children (13, 10, 10) who are generally great to travel with but like all kids have their special moments so I like to keep things pretty flexible and relaxed.

We were originally aiming to travel as close to the school holidays in December as possible but I got a great deal with Qantas ($3599) leaving at the end of November which I could not pass up, the added bonus is Qantas fly direct from Melbourne and leave at 11.20am which means I don't have to find pre-flight accommodation and have dirty clothes before we even leave Australia :thumbsup2
The last time I flew internationally with Qantas was in 1991 so will be interesting to fly them again, I hope the food is better.

Our last trips to the USA have been very much theme park orientated, this trip is very different although DLR will be visited because when in the USA it's a crime not to go, right ;) Our trips away are also very budget friendly although we do splurge on stuff we want to splurge on :D

Anyway, enough jibber jabber. Here is our half-donkey plan - feel free to add advice, thoughts, complaints, whatever.

24th - Arrive at LAX, get to San Pedro somehow. Staying at the Doubletree Hilton here pre-cruise. I've had a quick look at things to do. Must remember to find a chemist somewhere and buy a load of sea sickness tablets. It's Thanksgiving, so I may investigate a late lunch somewhere - leave that with me.

26th - 3rd - Mexican cruise. We have never cruised before so a little nervous. I was reading Cruise Critic to get hints and tips but gave it up as a bad joke when I read one too many threads on 'How dare you bring your children on-board my own personal cruise line' and 'You must wear a ballgown and tux on formal night or you will find yourself walking the plank'. OK, I made those up but you can get the idea, right? We are cruising on the Ruby Princess in an obstructed view room. I have no idea what to do about shore excursions as yet. Watch this space.

3rd - Disembark and somehow get back to LAX. I'm still debating staying at a hotel for a night and catching an early morning flight or catching a late night flight. Again, watch this space. I do have the LA airport Marriott booked for the night.

4th - Fly to Buffalo, looking at a 530am flight which gets us there in the afternoon. Get across into Canada somehow. Super excited about Niagara Falls so have splurged with a full on fallsview room at Embassy Suites by Hilton. I know the Falls are going to be one of the highlights of my trip even though a lot of things close down for winter, just being there is going to be awesome.

7th - Fly to Washington DC. We have booked at Courtyard Washington Embassy Row. We're only here for 4 days (not including travel days) and there is SO much I want to do but I have to narrow it down to the most wanted or throw it all in a hat and random pick. At the 6 months to go I may apply for a White House tour, or I may not. I'm a bit shirty with politicians at the moment.

12th - Amtrak it to Philadelphia. We are staying at the BW plus Independence Park Hotel. I've done almost zero investigation into Philadelphia so any recs highly appreciated but please note I do not drive in the USA as can't trust myself to stay on the correct side of the road. Although at some stage I do want to re-visit the GCNP and will have to drive that time. Next trip!

16th - Amtrak it to NYC. Super, super, SUPER excited about NYC. We have 10 full days here not including travel days. I have a whole list of things I want to do, the kids also have a list each - thankfully there are a load of double ups. Will get back when those lists have been scaled down. We will find somewhere nice to eat lunch or dinner for Christmas day, willing to spend up to $100 USD pp (I never drink at lunchtime, and occasionally have a drink with dinner so I think that budget will be reasonable, I think..?) A broadway show is a definite on the list, plus the usual touristy things and I want it to snow - can someone organise that for us? :rotfl2:We are staying at the Salisbury Hotel, older style, gets fairly good reviews from other Aussies, and close to Central Park which is a must as the kids do need downtime running about using their outside voices. I booked this place back in early Feb and locked in a great rate - just under $2400 USD for the 11 nights.

27th - Fly to LAX. We have 3 nights in LA this time. Staying at the Hollywood Celebrity which I believe is a subway stop or two from US. We'll have a day at US, to check out HP and the new Walking Dead thing, and I believe a Willy Wonka shop may be opening in City Walk..? The other day will be spent doing the usual tourist things in Hollywood (again!). My 13 yo loves Hollywood for some unknown reason and we always have to have a day there. I hate the place, but the motto is 'family holiday = everyone gets a say'.

30th - Head to Anaheim for a :mickeyjum fix. Currently booked into the Desert Inn but may change that. I'm leaning towards a 3 day hopper as I think NYE will be a write off with crowds - still going on that day just because it'll be cool to be there. We *might* have a shopping day at the outlets in Orange as well, but that depends on the exchange rate, or we might just spend the entire time at DLR.

4th - :sad::sad::sad:

Sounds like a fabulous trip, let me know if you want some ideas on any additional stuff to do in NYC.

The Air & Space Smithsonian in DC was great for all ages. To save time in DC, go to the monuments early. We started at the the Jefferson Memorial around 8.30 am and just beat the first tour buses. Then we walked the "loop" to the Lincoln Memorial and back up constitution Ave before it was too crowded. Oh, and don't miss the National Gallery of Art, it was a beautiful building with fantastic exhibits.

HTH

OMG! This is fabulous. You are going to have a great time.

We just flew with QANTAS last year. SO much better than the time we flew with them before that (back in the early 2000s). Food was okay...as in, even the picky teen found something to eat.

Thanksgiving is always busy in the states...make sure to get a booking someplace if you want to eat out or you may find yourself eating at Denny's after a several hour wait.

I love cruising. Just so you know, most lines sell sea sickness meds on board. Be careful to have the kids wash their hands often...and avoid the chicken option if possible. Sadly, the ships are often high stomach bug passing mechanisms. Keep a good eye on the kids are in Mexico (don't pet the animals...) and if you have girls, don't get their hair platted or wrapped on shore...have it done on the ship (helps to avoid head lice). That said, when in Mexico, embrace the cool society. And if you can find a set of Mexican jumping beans for the kids, buy a set (just be aware that you can't bring them back to Aussieland). Oh, and go to the beach! Just for the culture.

Washington DC...the Smithsonian will take longer than you think - just saying. If you want to do the White House, book early and go to enjoy something totally different to over here. Same with Capital Hill.

I haven't been to Philadelphia nor New York City since I was a kid...so I don't have any relevant info there.

Hollywood baby... we love to avoid this place too...but when we do go, we make a stop at the El Cap to see the Disney Movie there. If you haven't done it, you should.

NYE at Disneyland: Go to Disneyland early in the morning and spend some time there. If you are like me and don't really do crowds well, then hop over to DCA when it starts to get tight at Disneyland. We had a blast at DCA. You can watch the fireworks from Paradise Pier section of DCA and it's awesome (and not crowded) so you don't have to watch from the WoC section. If you skip the WoC show, you can catch the Disneyland Fireworks from the esplanade.

What a great experience for your kids and you. Have an amazing time!

Cant help with much but when you get the sea sick tablets I totally recommend Dramamine (they have adults and children versions) it is not available in Australia and is great stuff. I always use it and stock up to bring heaps back home with me. It is best if you take the tablets 24 hours before you get on the ship so it is in your system before you get a chance to feel sick.
We have only ever done 1 cruise (Disney) and the kids and 1 took it 24 hours before and the whole way through the cruise and had no sickness and no trouble getting used to sea or land. Granted we might not have gotten sick but I was not taking that risk. My kids suffer pretty bad from travel/car sickness so better safe than sorry.

Sound fantastic.
I bought Avomine tablets here at the chemist, were about $7 for packet of 30.
Took one each night before cruise and then one every night before going to bed.
A lot of people I know that do cruises said they were great.
None of us felt sick at all and we did have a little rough weather.
I thought I read they don't do those White House tours now, due to security risks?

We used Dramamine as well. My husband cannot go on the Sydney ferry without feeling really sick. It worked really well for us. We purchased the less drowsy version and they were brilliant. We purchased them online and had then delivered to our hotel with a few other things. Check which supermarkets deliver to that area.
We also found that we could not do a tour of the White House as we are not American citizens. I also found it easier getting a train that had as its final destination New York as you did not have the issue of being rushed off with your bags and people trying to push past you to get on.

Sounds like a fabulous trip, let me know if you want some ideas on any additional stuff to do in NYC.

The Air & Space Smithsonian in DC was great for all ages. To save time in DC, go to the monuments early. We started at the the Jefferson Memorial around 8.30 am and just beat the first tour buses. Then we walked the "loop" to the Lincoln Memorial and back up constitution Ave before it was too crowded. Oh, and don't miss the National Gallery of Art, it was a beautiful building with fantastic exhibits.

HTH
And wear comfy shoes as there is lots of walking around those memorials if you don't do a trolley tour! I second Air & Space as we didn't leave enough time but we also loved the Natural History Museum (great stuff on origins of humans and dinosaurs if your kids are into that), the national Museum of American History (shorter time needed than the others-origin of the Muppets, Michael Jackson's hat, Lincoln's hat) and unexpectedly (for me anyway) the National Archives, not so much for viewing of one of the few copies of the Constitution but for all the de-classified info on the Presidents (stuff may vary I am unsure) but included lots of now declassified docs like memo's written by them and listening to phone calls they received during the height of the Cold War, and on the declaration of war, etc - quite fascinating but only for older children.

Are you planning on spending 3 days in Niagara Falls? I recommend going into Toronto, even if it is for a day trip :)

We loved doing a Capitol Tour which we booked as we couldn't get onto a White House tour - thinks its only for US citizens. The tour is free but you do have to pre-book. It includes entry into the library of congress which is beautiful.

You also have to pre-book if you want to climb to the top of the Washington monument - we didn't know this and missed something we wanted to do.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! 10 days in NYC woohoo. Don't forget the Radio City Christmas show with the Rocketts, you can often get coupons if you look and you need to book for Statue of Liberty 3 months out if you want to go up into the statue! We are heading back to NYC on our next trip as well and we can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter