Han Solo Film loses directors

I disagree. I think its the complete opposite. If it turns out crappy, it will be because most of the film was in the can and he couldnt save it. If it turns out great, he rescued a sure disaster.

I didnt even know Lord and Miller were directing until they got fired. Terrible choice.
I would agree if the movie is somehow publicized as a rescue of sorts by Ron Howard. I believe that most people pay little attention to movies until they actually come out though.

Time will tell. :)

He's a good director and I'm sure he'll do a great job. But he's had some real lemons lately, the whale movie w/ Thor and Spider-Man, the racecar movie with Thor and the Da Vinci craps.

He's got to be better than the last guys though. The now former directors wanted to make the Star Wars movie into a comedy. And Han Solo the character was said to be nothing like the hero that we know and love.

He's a good director and I'm sure he'll do a great job. But he's had some real lemons lately, the whale movie w/ Thor and Spider-Man, the racecar movie with Thor and the Da Vinci craps.

He's got to be better than the last guys though. The now former directors wanted to make the Star Wars movie into a comedy. And Han Solo the character was said to be nothing like the hero that we know and love.

A Han Solo prequel should not be the hero that we know and love. He wasn't a hero. In fact, before Lucas couldn't take it anymore, he killed Greedo, shooting first, rather than pay his debts. The man is a dirtball pre-Star Wars. A smuggler willing to swindle whoever he can. A mercenary. A jerk. And I swear that if Ron Howard, or the goofy twins who were originally assigned to do this, don't roll with that characterization I will be really angry.

A Han Solo prequel should not be the hero that we know and love. He wasn't a hero. In fact, before Lucas couldn't take it anymore, he killed Greedo, shooting first, rather than pay his debts. The man is a dirtball pre-Star Wars. A smuggler willing to swindle whoever he can. A mercenary. A jerk. And I swear that if Ron Howard, or the goofy twins who were originally assigned to do this, don't roll with that characterization I will be really angry.

I disagree, many people have been like Han Solo and are still seen as heroes. Just because a character kills someone it doesn't make him a villain.

Billy the Kid
Jesse James
Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Snake Plissken (Escape from NY)
Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
Peter Quill (Guardians of the Galaxy)
Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)
Marv (Sin City)
Hellboy (Hellboy)

Last edited:

I disagree, many people have been like Han Solo and are still seen as heroes. Just because a character kills someone doesn't make him a villain.

Billy the Kid
Jesse James
Jack Sparrow
Snake Plissken (Escape from NY)
Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
Peter Quill (Guardians of the Galaxy)
Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)
Marv (Sin City)
Hellboy (Hellboy)

I didn't say it did. It's just his character is not a hero's character at the start of Star Wars. Not even an anti-hero. He is a dirtball. He becomes a hero. But if you are going backward, not forward, he should not start as the character he ended as. Either that, or at the very least, as you approach the start of Episode IV, he must revert to being a mercenary jerk so he is inline with what we see. Shooting Greedo, negotiating to rescue Leia only for a boatload of money, being obnoxious to everyone but Chewie, deeply in debt to a galactic loan shark, and taking off from Yavin with his money and not willing to help.

Does he come back? Does he redeem himself at the end and going forward? Absolutely. But when that movie starts, he's a self-centered, deeply flawed, vicious mercenary with an acerbic personality. The prequel needs to either establish how he became that, or work within that personality.

I didn't say it did. It's just his character is not a hero's character at the start of Star Wars. Not even an anti-hero. He is a dirtball. He becomes a hero. But if you are going backward, not forward, he should not start as the character he ended as. Either that, or at the very least, as you approach the start of Episode IV, he must revert to being a mercenary jerk so he is inline with what we see. Shooting Greedo, negotiating to rescue Leia only for a boatload of money, being obnoxious to everyone but Chewie, deeply in debt to a galactic loan shark, and taking off from Yavin with his money and not willing to help.

When in Rome. Maybe he was a hero the whole time and he just had to play dirty. Look at who he's having to deal with. No one would continue to be a goody good around bumholes like Jabba the Hutt.

Does he come back? Does he redeem himself at the end and going forward? Absolutely. But when that movie starts, he's a self-centered, deeply flawed, vicious mercenary with an acerbic personality. The prequel needs to either establish how he became that, or work within that personality.

I agree with you that he needs to be the character that he was at the beginning of e4 but in all previous timeline back story he did have his redeeming qualities. He had defected from the imperial navy and saved Chewbacca from slavery.
Now i assume they will not use that backstory but they could do something along the same lines to him the guy that is on the wrong path but is still able to be redeemed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter