Handicap Restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who uses a rollator I cannot use a regular stall in a restroom. When I enter if there is a line (and no other handicapped ladies online) I proceed to wait by the handicap stall. If there is someone in there I will knock and let them know there is someone who needs to use this stall. It is disheartening that people think they can decide who is and who isn't handicapped. Recently I had a woman with a child in the handicap stall at Brown Derby. Small restroom with a changing table outside the stalls. I let her know I needed the stall and she ignored me. Knocked again in case she didn't hear me. This time she responded with "I'm changing my baby's diaper." I then again said this was the only stall I could use. She took her time and when she emerged with her 6 or 7 year old daughter and no dirty diaper, she gave me the dirty look. When a restroom is empty, I have no qualms about which stall is chosen for whatever reason, but if someone in need comes in and lets you know they need to use it please show some courtesy. Thank you
Had you done that to me, I would have stayed in there until one of us died

So you got mad at a mom helping her developmentally delayed child use the restroom. We really do need to try not to judge based on outward appearances. I hope no one every tries to rush you in the bathroom because they feel they have more right to the space than you. I also hope no one in front of you in line needed that handicap stall you felt you had more right too than anyone in front of you with invisible needs.
For everyone who decided to judge me I hope you are never in my position. If you go to an establishment and there is only one restroom and it is occupied when you need it, do you just stand outside waiting (until one of you dies) or do you let the person know there is someone waiting?? What's wrong with that? And NO ONE said the child was devleopmentally delayed.

Last edited:
Seriously? this is what you got out of my post? There are LOTS of women who take their young children into the "handicap" stall because it is bigger. NO ONE said the child was developmentally delayed. You weren't there !!! I have TWO developmentally challenged children and the woman was trying to make an excuse as to why she used this stall when the rest of the bathroom was empty. I only let people know that there is someone waiting. I hope that you NEVER have to be in the position to NEED to use the ONLY single stall that will fit your rollator because you cannot walk without it. So much for being understanding and not trying to judge me!
You don't know what her needs were just as much as you don't need to share yours.
IF the cubicle is occupied, I would assume that whoever is in there will be out as soon as they are done, which is the same no matter who is waiting and what kind of toilet. You would not have had a lesser need / been more able to wait if the occupant had been visibly eligible to use that cubicle, but you are assuming that she had no invisible need to do so?

I’m curious if anyone else gets annoyed when nonhandicap ladies use the handicap stalls. I’ve been encountering this on regular basis at DW. Usually there many regular stalls open, but folks use the HC stall. Perhaps I was rude, but I mentioned to two ladies that HC stall should be available to those individuals that need it. I value your opinions. I have mobility issues and cannot hold my potty stuff, so I use a walker.
If you see what people have responded to what I have posted with regards to this, it seems the stall should NOT be available to those individuals that need it because you never know who is disabled. We should never make assumptions about anybody like people have made about me without actually being present when my incident took place. Funny because from the people that I usually encounter, those that need the stall are sympathetic and those who don't seem quick to make you feel like you belong under a rock because you happen to be handicapped.

HC stalls are to provide access for those who may not be able to use the standard stall. It doesn't mean they are for the exclusive use of people who cannot use the standard stalls. Unlike HC parking spots, which are used solely by people with an HC placard, other accessible things are not exclusive. That goes for the buttons that open doors, curb cuts, raised toilets, and roll in showers.

If the restroom is busy, of course people should try to take care of business quickly. But no one person has the rights to use any bathroom stall over another. If you need the HC one (I do sometimes, when my leg and/or hip is acting up) and you are getting close to the front of the line, politely ask to use it if it opens up and you can communicate with the next person or people in line. Otherwise, you wait, like everyone else.

First, please understand that these aren't specifically designated as disabled access stalls. These larger stalls are available to any who needs to use them. It could be someone with mobility issues like you or it could a mother traveling with young children who needs to keep them in the stall with her. It could be someone who is a bit too large to comfortably use the regular stalls. It could be someone with balance issues that need the grab bars. It could simply be someone who really had to go and that was the next available stall. Point is that yours is not the only need that can be met using the large stalls. You don't have a right to bypass the line or to judge others for using the space. In many cases, if you make people in front of you aware that you need to use the larger stall, they may choose to let you go ahead of them. I can assure you that if you have the attitude that you are entitled to bypass the line to get to the larger stall you will get the opposite reaction from some people.

For everyone who decided to judge me I hope you are never in my position. If you go to an establishment and there is only one restroom and it is occupied when you need it, do you just stand outside waiting (until one of you dies) or do you let the person know there is someone waiting?? What's wrong with that? And NO ONE said the child was devleopmentally delayed.

Handicapped or not, NO ONE has the right to try to hurry someone else out of the restroom, period, end of story. Handicapped accessible stalls are NOT for the exclusive use of the handicapped, they are simply ACCESSIBLE to the handicapped. Anyone is permitted to use them, and no one is entitled to an explanation as to why they used them.

And to answer your question, no, I don't let the person inside know that I'm waiting because that would be rude, IMO. Much like a parking space, a bathroom stall, handicapped or not, belongs to the person using it until she is done using it. Two minutes, five minutes, ten minutes or 20 minutes.

Handicapped or not, NO ONE has the right to try to hurry someone else out of the restroom, period, end of story. Handicapped accessible stalls are NOT for the exclusive use of the handicapped, they are simply ACCESSIBLE to the handicapped. Anyone is permitted to use them, and no one is entitled to an explanation as to why they used them.

And to answer your question, no, I don't let the person inside know that I'm waiting because that would be rude, IMO. Much like a parking space, a bathroom stall, handicapped or not, belongs to the person using it until she is done using it. Two minutes, five minutes, ten minutes or 20 minutes.

Agree 100%. A couple years ago I was at Disney after ACL surgery. I was off crutches and out of my brace, but I was still struggling. I could walk without limping, but the motion of standing up from a toilet was extremely difficult. I used a handicap accessible stall so I had handrails.

But I guess a few people in this thread would have been knocking and giving me dirty looks.

This. BUT, maybe I would knock after 15 0r 20 minutes, mostly because I would be worried about the person inside, and would want to just check they were OK. otherwise, you just assume that no one is hanging out in the toilet for fun (yes, I *know* exceptions) and that they will be out as soon as they can be

And no one has any idea if they were or were not, but you seem to be able to tell just from a quick look that this was a perfectly normal child. The child may have any number of issues that would require a parents help with toileting that are not outwardly visible. Treat others as you want to be treated, so, if you do not want to be judged or harassed and rushed in a public restroom, don't do it to others.

As someone who uses a rollator I cannot use a regular stall in a restroom. When I enter if there is a line (and no other handicapped ladies online) I proceed to wait by the handicap stall. If there is someone in there I will knock and let them know there is someone who needs to use this stall. It is disheartening that people think they can decide who is and who isn't handicapped. Recently I had a woman with a child in the handicap stall at Brown Derby. Small restroom with a changing table outside the stalls. I let her know I needed the stall and she ignored me. Knocked again in case she didn't hear me. This time she responded with "I'm changing my baby's diaper." I then again said this was the only stall I could use. She took her time and when she emerged with her 6 or 7 year old daughter and no dirty diaper, she gave me the dirty look. When a restroom is empty, I have no qualms about which stall is chosen for whatever reason, but if someone in need comes in and lets you know they need to use it please show some courtesy. Thank you

You'll get the bathroom when the person using it is done. Knocking on the stall door is one of the rudest things I've heard of in a long time. How did you know that a disabled person wasn't in there taking a poop before you knocked? My God, have some decency.

If you see what people have responded to what I have posted with regards to this, it seems the stall should NOT be available to those individuals that need it because you never know who is disabled. We should never make assumptions about anybody like people have made about me without actually being present when my incident took place. Funny because from the people that I usually encounter, those that need the stall are sympathetic and those who don't seem quick to make you feel like you belong under a rock because you happen to be handicapped.

You should mind your own business and stop being so rude. Handicap Accessible stalls aren't only for you.

This. BUT, maybe I would knock after 15 0r 20 minutes, mostly because I would be worried about the person inside, and would want to just check they were OK. otherwise, you just assume that no one is hanging out in the toilet for fun (yes, I *know* exceptions) and that they will be out as soon as they can be

I would knock after 15 20 minutes just to see if the person was ok inside too not to hurry them up.

Man you caught me I am the one that spends $100 for a ticket for Disney and all I do is hang out in the stalls because I mean how would not it is a bathroom in Disney. ( and I am joking here)

Ok let's all take a deep breath and unless you are walking in the show of the person walking out of the stall that you are waiting for then you have no right to tell them they should not be using it when they leave I just say thank you and go in.

of course I am not going to call attention to the fact that someone is 'taking too long'. and who are you to judge how long is too long anyway? one of my meds, the lovely side effect is constipation to an an insanely uncomfortable degree. on a particularly bad day, it can Literally take an HOUR to pass solid waste matter. do you REALLY think I enjoy straining and grunting for that long? let alone if someone is constantly haranguing me that they need to use the stall?! newsflash: there are other restrooms that can accommodate you. in fact I often seek out the companion ones as they trend to be out of the way( less mainstream access) and it is easier for me to maneuver into one rather than try and negotiate inside the area with everyone else .

I will pull on the door. if it is locked, and they respond, I will reply acknowledging that I understand they are in there. at that point, normal, sane, rational people would then assume that the other party KNOWS YOU ARE WAITING and will not dilly dally. but you keep knocking, I will take my sweet @ss time.

I hope you are never in the position of dealing with some embarrassing or uncomfortable issue in a public restroom while someone is knocking on the door and yelling at you to hurry up. We have absolutely no way of knowing what the people in front of us are dealing with. By assuming those in front of you did not "need" the accessible stall, you are acting like the same judgmental and unkind person that you say you hate.

Simple answer is that no one knows who needs a larger stall. No one knows who has a greater need than anyone else in line. Everyone in a busy restroom already knows there are others waiting so they will do their business and get out as quickly as possible. The accessible stall is there for anyone who needs it. Wait your turn in line then go quietly stand in front of the accessible stall when you get to the front, this way you're sure to be the next one in that stall when it becomes available, and you're not selfishly assuming you have a greater need than others in line.

The handicapped stall is equipped with a higher toilet, assist bars, and some extra room for a walker, scooter, or chair. That equipment is there for me to use - WHEN IT IS MY TURN!!!!

I have no right to front of the line access!!!! I simply wait my turn, then use the stall.

A mom with several small children needs that stall to keep her young children together and to keep the stroller with her. Imagine how much criticism she would receive for sending her 3 year old down to a stall just 10 doors away! How could she neglect her child like that? She knows that her little one needs help from Mom!!!

A urine bag or other similar medical equipment requires the use of a toilet and a sink, if available. That person needs the handicapped stall, too!!!

Waiting my turn is EXPECTED in a public rest room. I will be grateful when MY TURN comes. Thanks!!!

You belong under a rock if you knock on the door to hurry someone out of a stall that they are entitled to use, whether they are handicapped or not.

That is one of the most bizarre & rudest things I have ever read about on the Disboards, and that is saying something.

Go home, Kate.

anyone else gets annoyed when nonhandicap ladies use the handicap stalls.

1) Not just women, but men.
2) I was at the Whispering Canyon men's room last week.
3) The handicap stall was locked, and I could not enter.
4) I knocked on the door and said very loudly, "I hope you are handicapped, because I sure as heck am !!!"
5) Being in wheelchair, I could not use another stall.
6) When this middle-aged guy walked out, I said in a loud voice, "PRAISE GOD, IT IS A MIRACLE. HE HAS BEEN HEALED!"
7) After I was done, I rolled my chair past his table, and announced to his group that I was so happy his handicap is now cured!
8) Yes, I got a dirty look from him as I explained my comment to his table, but I did not care !!!
9) Some people are just so rude by using handicapped stalls when true handicapped people cannot.

NOTE: Some people have said they want their kid with them. Well, a rude reason and not an excuse the ADA recognizes. Let's have some courtesy for those that truly need the enlarged stall.

If you see what people have responded to what I have posted with regards to this, it seems the stall should NOT be available to those individuals that need it because you never know who is disabled.
No, you're misinterpreting the responses. The stall should not be expected to be available to only those individuals that "need" it, because you never who is disabled with internal or otherwise hidden/invisible conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!