Handicap Restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Not just women, but men.
2) I was at the Whispering Canyon men's room last week.
3) The handicap stall was locked, and I could not enter.
4) I knocked on the door and said very loudly, "I hope you are handicapped, because I sure as heck am !!!"
5) Being in wheelchair, I could not use another stall.
6) When this middle-aged guy walked out, I said in a loud voice, "PRAISE GOD, IT IS A MIRACLE. HE HAS BEEN HEALED!"
7) After I was done, I rolled my chair past his table, and announced to his group that I was so happy his handicap is now cured!
8) Yes, I got a dirty look from him as I explained my comment to his table, but I did not care !!!
9) Some people are just so rude by using handicapped stalls when true handicapped people cannot.

NOTE: Some people have said they want their kid with them. Well, a rude reason and not an excuse the ADA recognizes. Let's have some courtesy for those that truly need the enlarged stall.

I agree that "some people are just so rude". I disagree with who the rude one is in your story. Why the heck did you feel it was appropriate to act that way? As has been said, the stalls are accessible, not reserved, so not having an "ADA recognized excuse" has nothing to do with it. You attacked the person (who you couldn't even see) without knowing anything about him (even if you could see him, there are many hidden disabilities.

I would have given you more than a dirty look.

The handicapped stall is equipped with a higher toilet, assist bars, and some extra room for a walker, scooter, or chair. That equipment is there for me to use - WHEN IT IS MY TURN!!!!

I have no right to front of the line access!!!! I simply wait my turn, then use the stall.

A mom with several small children needs that stall to keep her young children together and to keep the stroller with her. Imagine how much criticism she would receive for sending her 3 year old down to a stall just 10 doors away! How could she neglect her child like that? She knows that her little one needs help from Mom!!!

A urine bag or other similar medical equipment requires the use of a toilet and a sink, if available. That person needs the handicapped stall, too!!!

Waiting my turn is EXPECTED in a public rest room. I will be grateful when MY TURN comes. Thanks!!!

I don't believe using the HC stall because you have a stroller and so many kids is a valid reason at WDW. If you have so many kids with you that you can't handle them all at the same time, it would be so much more responsible to have another adult with you.

4) I knocked on the door and said very loudly, "I hope you are handicapped, because I sure as heck am !!!"
6) When this middle-aged guy walked out, I said in a loud voice, "PRAISE GOD, IT IS A MIRACLE. HE HAS BEEN HEALED!"
7) After I was done, I rolled my chair past his table, and announced to his group that I was so happy his handicap is now cured!
8) Yes, I got a dirty look from him as I explained my comment to his table, but I did not care !!!
9) Some people are just so rude by using handicapped stalls when true handicapped people cannot.

NOTE: Some people have said they want their kid with them. Well, a rude reason and not an excuse the ADA recognizes. Let's have some courtesy for those that truly need the enlarged stall.

The HC stall is not an exclusive stall. Why do you think it should be left open, just waiting for you to show up? And, BTW, you'd never know I'd need the HC stall unless I was willing to haul up my pant leg and show you the deep divot in the back of my calf that goes down to the lining of my muscle. I can walk just fine most of the time, but when that scar rips off the dura (again) it is excruciating and it really helps to have a higher toilet so it doesn't hurt so much to get back up. Does someone have to show you the disability in order to get to use the toilet?

It is unfortunate to see the relentless entitlement mentality show up once again. No one is entitled to judge whether a person meets their definition of someone who needs the accessible stall or whether they are more entitled than another. Simply wait your turn and be considerate of the person using the stall.

@TheRustyScupper as I've posted earlier if you saw me or my DGS go in and out of a cubicle you would not "see" a disability - your behaviour dismays and disappoints me and God help you if you ever challenged me - particularly in front of the child who would be mortified his disability was being brought to the attention of others - grow up and smell the roses "NOT ALL DISABILTY IS VISIBLE"

Wow. And from a WDW CM at that. I will refrain from further comment.

Wow - I have a friend that has a need for a HC restroom that isn't readily visible. He also has some emotional difficulties and had you embarrassed him/his family friends in a restaurant like this it would have been just devastating - especially during a Disney vacation. Luckily I am not sure they would have understood the sarcasm - you saying he was cured?

I used the HC stall when my kids were young, I had a need for that stall (not that it matters) in addition to my two small kids. I never in a million years realized I wasn't "entitled" since I had young kids.

If a bathroom has a line I will take the next available stall even if it is HA, if not I will choose a different stall now that I don't need one anymore. If someone in a wheelchair is waiting behind me and the HA stall opens I will offer it to them in my place and wait for the next.

That's just what I do.

Wow - I have a friend that has a need for a HC restroom that isn't readily visible. He also has some emotional difficulties and had you embarrassed him/his family friends in a restaurant like this it would have been just devastating - especially during a Disney vacation. Luckily I am not sure they would have understood the sarcasm - you saying he was cured?

I used the HC stall when my kids were young, I had a need for that stall (not that it matters) in addition to my two small kids. I never in a million years realized I wasn't "entitled" since I had young kids.

If a bathroom has a line I will take the next available stall even if it is HA, if not I will choose a different stall now that I don't need one anymore. If someone in a wheelchair is waiting behind me and the HA stall opens I will offer it to them in my place and wait for the next.

That's just what I do.
What I can't believe is that he knocked on that door as though he felt he had priorities over whoever was in there - as though his needs were greater that ANYONE out there! Truly shocking.

Does anyone know what the actual law is on these types of stalls? As well as companion bathrooms (family bathrooms I guess they are sometimes called)

Does anyone know what the actual law is on these types of stalls? As well as companion bathrooms (family bathrooms I guess they are sometimes called)

Are you asking about a law defining who can use them? I don't believe such a law exists. Facilities in a public restroom are available to the public, anyone. Same as ramps and curb cuts and such; they are designed to allow accessibility for those in a wheelchair but can be utilized by anyone.

Companion or family restrooms are typically a separate room, not just a stall, with private door that does not open into a main/gender-specific restroom. Just to point out there can be a difference between "companion" restrooms and "family" restrooms and not all companion restrooms are family restrooms. Often both will have the accessibility features, not all "companion" restrooms have a diaper changing table. I don't believe WDW companion restrooms have a changing table, and therefore are not actually family restrooms and WDW does not designated them as such.

For everyone who decided to judge me I hope you are never in my position. If you go to an establishment and there is only one restroom and it is occupied when you need it, do you just stand outside waiting (until one of you dies) or do you let the person know there is someone waiting?? What's wrong with that? And NO ONE said the child was devleopmentally delayed.

I've been in your position. I make a plan about these sorts of things when leaving the house because I'm entitled to take care of my own body, nobody else is responsible for it. And yes, they make adult absorbent products for a reason.... ;) I'm happy to throw an extra clean one over the top while you wait for me. :)

If there is only one restroom, you wait. You don't need to pound on the door. if it's a public restroom, I am certain you are not the only person within a mile's radius who needs to use the facilities.

And honestly, MOST disabilities are not visible, so hollering at someone using the toilet just makes YOU look like you have some uncontrollable social issue. :( Even my young DD knows NOT to point out what people are doing or not doing in a restroom. But if you banged on her door and made her feel uncomfy, she'd probably compose an bathroom-related opera to sing to you while you used the stall and while you rollated back to your table, just for emotional fair trade. ;)

As to who can use them? No law. They are there to allow equal access but not greater access unlike a parking spots. There are no limitations as to who can and can not use these stalls.

As to the stalls themselves? Lots when it comes to design and the number of accessible stalls vs normal stalls. There is a huge design book that deals with these sorts of things and the chapter on bathrooms is quite long. Lots of requirements including seat height, bar height, placement of paper dispensers, clear floor space, and on and on.

Maybe someone needs some time off?

When I use the restroom, I tend to use the handicap stall. At Disney, I leave my scooter outside. Around my home town, I might or might not have my cane or walker. If I have neither of those, I look perfectly fine.

But not, it is not a miracle. I haven't been cured. Nope. I am probably pushing through the pain and stiffness to make it back to where I can be seated.

Lupus isn't cured. Doctors try to manage the symptoms.

Rusty, you were rude. And you would have heard plenty from me if you would have tried that attitude with me.

This thread - specifically the OP and Rusty show what is wrong with our society today. People judge and think they are entitled. There are so many medical issues that may require and person to use the stall you think is your personal throne that should be only used by you because you can tell is someone is handicapped or not (very distributing because one ASSUMED through closed locked door person was NOT handicapped).

Disabilities can be non-visual. How sad that you think your disability takes precedence over someone else’s disability. For an adult to say what Rusty said is horrible- in today’s society you are lucky you weren’t physically attacked!

We need to quit judging and thinking non-handicapped people are hogging the stalls. And to knock on door and rush someone or verbally attack someone is inexcusable. Find another restroom or don’t wait until the last minute to go!

I wonder if it has occurred to OP and Rusty that the banging and harassment likely prolonged the use of the bathroom? Nothing like adding anxiety to someone suffering from developmental delays or other embarrassing situations that necessitate using a larger stall. I can pretty much guaranty you made it worse for yourselves as well as the people inside.

This is disturbing to read and disgusting. I hope you realize what you may have done to that man and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter