Handsanitizer discussion on today's podcast

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
Kevin encouraged the listener's of the podcast to wash hands and wash them often to prevent germs during the conversation about the new virus affecting China and global preventions. Another podcaster mentioned hand sanitizing but the FDA warned today that the Purell company should not advertise its product prevents flu, ebola, other diseases and viruses when studies haven't proven this. It's great for the car as he said when you have nothing else, I actually believe wipes are even best suited, but as hand washing properly is the ultimate prevention as Kevin said. Purell has been misleading consumers essentially so it's good to be educated. Google it if you want more information, it's on today's news cycle.

I did a slight bit of research into hand sanitizers/wipes for a cruise I have later this year. I found out that a lot of wipes (for surfaces in stateroom) don't kill the Norovirus (the biggest GI virus on cruise ships) - make SURE yours specifically state they DO before bothering to purchase. Same thing with hand sanitizer. I have an email out to the Clorox company right now to find out if their bleach-free, that provides moisturizers, does.

No sense in spending money if the products don't do what you need them to.

I always wash my hands first thing when I get home in the kitchen using Dawn with Oil of Olay and use Aveeno cream a couple time a days. Dawn with Oil of Olay has proteins that do a fantastic job of keeping your skin and nails intact. I don't like sanitizers.

AND STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE! These kind of pathogens do not enter through your hands or unbroken skin. They enter thru mucous membranes like eyes, nose and mouth.

This is unrelated but I have been paranoid about pin pads lately. I stopped at 7-11 today and grabbed some crackers.
As I was entering my pin, I realized I had every intention to rip open the crackers as soon as I got back to the car. And I thought, that means whatever is on that pin pad is going right in my mouth.

I waited till I got back to the office and could wash up.

:crazy2:

This is unrelated but I have been paranoid about pin pads lately. I stopped at 7-11 today and grabbed some crackers.
As I was entering my pin, I realized I had every intention to rip open the crackers as soon as I got back to the car. And I thought, that means whatever is on that pin pad is going right in my mouth.

I totally get this. When you stop and think about all the things you touch and come into contact with, it's really quite scary.

You can get the heavy duty Clorox wipes that DO kill Norovirus on Amazon. Be warned though--they are heavily scented and smell like a hospital after it's been cleaned. They are used in hospitals and clinics. I use these and make sure to use gloves when using them or have another (less strong) wipe between my hands and the Clorox wipe. I use it on flights, hotel rooms and cruises.

Totally get it, and you're right! They say one of the most contaminated things in any hotel room/stateroom is the TV remote - almost everybody uses them, and they are VERY hard to sanitize because of all the buttons/crevices. I have friends who actually put theirs in a baggie, and use it through there - thinking of maybe doing that myself. The phone is supposedly pretty bad too. I'm not a germaphobe, and not gonna go nuts, but I do plan to wipe down surfaces, door knobs, etc. - and carry hand sanitizer everywhere, especially to the buffet, or anywhere I'm going to be touching common surfaces touched by thousands of others, and then putting something in my mouth. And ayep - I carry hand sanitizer at WDW too. And in everyday life, although I will admit to being lax about using it - I am better during flu season.

Last edited:

I rarely use the pin pad anymore unless tap to pay from either my phone or card didn't work or tap to pay isn't accepted.'

I carry hand sanitizer everywhere in daily life and I am that lady wiping down the tray table, etc on the plane. Especially on flights to WDW, since you’re guaranteed a higher than average number of kids on board, who, bless their little hearts, are like walking Petri dishes. I got Disney crud that turned into bronchitis a couple of years ago and that made me even more paranoid about germs.

I would just caution against heavily scented wipes in shared environments—some people are extremely sensitive to fragrance and it can trigger reactions. I try to use fragrance free ones.

I carry hand sanitizer everywhere in daily life and I am that lady wiping down the tray table, etc on the plane. Especially on flights to WDW, since you’re guaranteed a higher than average number of kids on board, who, bless their little hearts, are like walking Petri dishes. I got Disney crud that turned into bronchitis a couple of years ago and that made me even more paranoid about germs.

I would just caution against heavily scented wipes in shared environments—some people are extremely sensitive to fragrance and it can trigger reactions. I try to use fragrance free ones.
I mean, I don't like that you got sick, but the advice is good! And, absolutely right about kids. They are basically walking infection risks.

This is the same reason that I use my own pen when signing anything (especially at doctor's offices). When (if ever) do you think someone wiped down one of those communal pens at the desk?

I don't think you have seen the results of what happens when someone does obsess about germs. There is such a thing as too much.
Yes, I guess ANYTHING can be taken to an extreme. And yes, I have seen people who do wash too much. And yes, I guess I was flippant about assuming my friend @CampbellzSoup is not one of them.

Totally right, that's why I keep hand sanitizer with me at all times and put it on EVERY time I get back in my car from a store, etc. Perfect, no, but I'm seldom sick so will take what I can get.

Another big source, to me, are menus and chairs in restaurants!
Dh & I use gel every time after seating in a restaurant and viewing a menu.
Everyone's germs on those!! :crazy2: Amazing the people I talk to that hadn't even considered that before we mentioned it.

Also, have finally trained myself to never touch my face in public - if eye itches, etc. will use a kleenex - the same when we are at Disney - rails in lines, or anywhere, are infested with germs, kids especially hang on them all the time - have even seen them put their mouths on them! ☹

Until something better is offered, we will continue to use hand sanitizer when we can't wash our hands with soap, as something so far over the years has kept us from viral stuff that goes on around us.

I used to live in an elevator building, and would always use a Kleenex to push the buttons, and the communal washing machine controls (figure people will wash bedding, more stuff when sick), and also try to remember when using shopping carts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter