Handsanitizer discussion on today's podcast

Just got back from a trip where I never touched my face, washed hands before every meal and anytime we could. Always twenty seconds, very thorough. I taught preschool and always taught my kids the ABC song method for timing. Still got nasty sick on my sixth day and was stuck in my hotel to heal. Hubs got it the exact same time so we're guessing it was airborne on the plane. Just remember what Picard said.
View attachment 471589
I almost always get a "travel cold" - I know I am going to be sniffly and sneezy for a day after I get off the plane. Luckily, I have a good immune system, and shake it off, I always call it 'travel dust' but, flights are super risky for germ spreading.

Just found out a joint base (all services except Coast Guard) near my new location will be a quarantine site for about 20 people while being investigated for the Corona Virus. Interesting. I can hear when they do weapons training there - wonder if I'll hear coughing and sneezing too., :duck:

Just found out a joint base (all services except Coast Guard) near my new location will be a quarantine site for about 20 people while being investigated for the Corona Virus. Interesting. I can hear when they do weapons training there - wonder if I'll hear coughing and sneezing too., :duck:

Are you in Nebraska? They are bringing some here.

I carry hand sanitizer everywhere in daily life and I am that lady wiping down the tray table, etc on the plane. Especially on flights to WDW, since you’re guaranteed a higher than average number of kids on board, who, bless their little hearts, are like walking Petri dishes. I got Disney crud that turned into bronchitis a couple of years ago and that made me even more paranoid about germs.

I would just caution against heavily scented wipes in shared environments—some people are extremely sensitive to fragrance and it can trigger reactions. I try to use fragrance free ones.

As one of those people who are extremely sensitive to chemical fragrance, thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring!

I would think it's just travel in general. Your sinus rinse likely does much more than killing all the good bacteria along with the bad with all the other cleaning you're doing. I have allergies and the most recommended thing my doc has said for me is to do the nasal rinses as my body tends to overreact when it comes to contaminants so I get sick during travel more often especially during spring and fall and to places with different allergies than home. Like I didn't get sick in CA because the allergies were different than back home with the environment different than back home. Much drier air not as much seasonal changes,etc

Totally my opinion though :)
Unfortunately I still got sick once even WITH the sinus rinse. But I do think the combination of several things have been helpful for me. Of course with these posts I am sure I will get very sick next trip. :)

It's from the giant cruise ship in bayonne, nj. there were twenty something people who are under watch and some being tested waiting for the results. everyone else on the ship just got off without any notification of any kind. wouldve been nice to let them know people on the ship they were on were in China recently and are being monitored and to watch for symptoms . nope.
sometimes i get a cold which i think is from the plane but now i have been wondering if it's actually from the hotel room (the air is different at night then i'm used to and temperature different)

I just got home last night and have the travel cough from flying. Need to ditch it fast since I've got a thyroid test next week and they don't do them if you are sick so I'm doing elderberry and drinking extra water. I might grab some zicam too since that always works for me.
And I'm gargling with salt water - an old fashioned trick but it also works for me.

I just got home last night and have the travel cough from flying. Need to ditch it fast since I've got a thyroid test next week and they don't do them if you are sick so I'm doing elderberry and drinking extra water. I might grab some zicam too since that always works for me.
And I'm gargling with salt water - an old fashioned trick but it also works for me.
@GaSleepingBeautyFan - Hope you feel better soon, and don't miss your test.

I stopped getting sick on my trips to Disney and Uni when I wiped down all the hotel room surfaces with Clorox wipes and used hand sanitizer after touching ANYTHING in the parks. YMMV
Same with me!! I stopped getting sick at Disney when I did these same things.

Bottom line:
Hand sanitizers do not kill virusus. Virusus make up 90 % of sicknesses.

They do kill SOME bacteria , but you must use them properly. Completely soaking both hands and allow to air dry.

This is everything you need to know.

In general, wash you hands for 2-3 minutes with LOTS of soap and HOT water is much better than Hand Sanitizer.

Bottom line:

They do kill SOME bacteria , but you must use them properly. Completely soaking both hands and allow to air dry.

In general, wash you hands for 2-3 minutes with LOTS of soap and HOT water is much better than Hand Sanitizer.

Not quite right on any accounts.

Hand sanitizer does kill viruses, but not all of them. It is less effective on soiled or greasy hands, though. They are mostly alcohol, which will kill a little bit of everything.

In order to properly wash your hands, cold water is fine and all you need is soap and water, lather for JUST 20 seconds and rinse. Hot water is no more effective than cold and serves only to irritate your skin. 2-3 minutes is overkill and reserved for surgeons scrubbing in before operating on people.

Bottom line:

2 to 3 minutes no way.

There's a reason why the ABCs song and others of those type is suggested because it takes around the amount of time you should be washing which is about 20seconds.

Hot water is really rough on your skin. Warm or cool is probably better (especially in wintertime when too warm will really dry your hands out).

Should one want more info here ya go: https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html

Not quite right on any accounts.

Hand sanitizer does kill viruses, but not all of them. It is less effective on soiled or greasy hands, though. They are mostly alcohol, which will kill a little bit of everything.

In order to properly wash your hands, cold water is fine and all you need is soap and water, lather for JUST 20 seconds and rinse. Hot water is no more effective than cold and serves only to irritate your skin. 2-3 minutes is overkill and reserved for surgeons scrubbing in before operating on people.
Well, that’s where we learned proper technique, in scrub in.

I stand by that . If its good for surgery it’s good for everything!

I am considering how I would go about getting my kids to wash their hands for 3 minutes each time they wash them. I've already given up and I haven't even started!

Well, that’s where we learned proper technique, in scrub in.

I stand by that . If its good for surgery it’s good for everything!

Okay but that is overkill for something people should be doing several times a day. The CDC has recommended 20 seconds of lathering up with a cold water rinse. If that is good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

I have always been slightly on the OCD side of touching things (I hold the side of the trolley or hold it with my sleeves) and I rarely get ill unless I run myself down. Today I went full blown ocd and while doing my shopping I antibacced my hands maybe 7 times and used wipes on all the trolleys, atms, scan and go holders and touch screens in shops. People looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am because I am desperate to make it to our AKL 2 week booking in April. I have MMRR, MFSR, SDD, and so many other FP. I have cali grill brunch booked. I have a colour coded schedule I have been working on for almost a year. And we are in UK, tonight Trump announced that flights from mainland Europe are suspended. 6 weeks until our trip.... can't see it happening. It makes me feel really annoyed that I and my family are being so careful but we still will probably not make it to the holiday we have been needing for 2 years. I don't know if you guys feel the same but in my books nothing is like Disney. DM suggested that it's fine, we will wait and maybe go to Mexico, lol I love Mexico but NOTHING is like the Disney feels.

Especially when you live in the UK and people are panic buying loo roll like idiots.

I have always been slightly on the OCD side of touching things (I hold the side of the trolley or hold it with my sleeves) and I rarely get ill unless I run myself down. Today I went full blown ocd and while doing my shopping I antibacced my hands maybe 7 times and used wipes on all the trolleys, atms, scan and go holders and touch screens in shops. People looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am because I am desperate to make it to our AKL 2 week booking in April. I have MMRR, MFSR, SDD, and so many other FP. I have cali grill brunch booked. I have a colour coded schedule I have been working on for almost a year. And we are in UK, tonight Trump announced that flights from mainland Europe are suspended. 6 weeks until our trip.... can't see it happening. It makes me feel really annoyed that I and my family are being so careful but we still will probably not make it to the holiday we have been needing for 2 years. I don't know if you guys feel the same but in my books nothing is like Disney. DM suggested that it's fine, we will wait and maybe go to Mexico, lol I love Mexico but NOTHING is like the Disney feels.

Especially when you live in the UK and people are panic buying loo roll like idiots.
I have to decide whether to cancel my trip. If I decide by monday I can just lose the deposit. Otherwise, I might be out the whole cost. Depending on how advice changes. The health minister expects cases to rise for several months.
I have been getting through my life recently by looking forward to this trip. My life for the last year+ has been supporting my husband in and out of hospital since he has incurable Leukaemia. Supporting my children through the experience because both of them are on the autism spectrum.
A trip for me to celebrate our ten year anniversary (we were meant to be making a family trip as we got married in WDW in 2010), and pick up WDW treasures to share as hampers for everyone else, but a chance to rest, and play, and get sunshine and the disney bubble self care and joy and magic.
Now, there is nothing. Just more worry and caring for others and wondering why the hell people suddenly need to bulk buy soap, why haven't people been washing their hands as a matter of course anyway?!
I am not coping very well. So, I really do know how you feel.

I have to decide whether to cancel my trip. If I decide by monday I can just lose the deposit. Otherwise, I might be out the whole cost. Depending on how advice changes. The health minister expects cases to rise for several months.
I have been getting through my life recently by looking forward to this trip. My life for the last year+ has been supporting my husband in and out of hospital since he has incurable Leukaemia. Supporting my children through the experience because both of them are on the autism spectrum.
A trip for me to celebrate our ten year anniversary (we were meant to be making a family trip as we got married in WDW in 2010), and pick up WDW treasures to share as hampers for everyone else, but a chance to rest, and play, and get sunshine and the disney bubble self care and joy and magic.
Now, there is nothing. Just more worry and caring for others and wondering why the hell people suddenly need to bulk buy soap, why haven't people been washing their hands as a matter of course anyway?!
I am not coping very well. So, I really do know how you feel.
I completely get you. I am sorry you have so much to deal with, both me and DH have good life circumstances but both suffer with depression ( I am unable to work because of it) and your phrase about the trip getting you through life rang so true with me. I have used this trip as a crutch for the past year.
Hopefully this will all blow over and we both get our trip. Wishing you all the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter