Harry Potter Attractions

pfeifer1990

Mouseketeer
Please tell me about HP Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts ride. What are the differences between the 2 rides. Is Forbidden Journey a roller coaster? I won't be doing Hagrids. (I can do roller coasters like Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain but won't do Space Mountain or Everest at Disney.) I will do mild coasters but can't do flipping upside down coasters. TIA

Forbidden Journey is a very unique ride system. Best way I can describe it is to put a big mechanical arm like they use in car factories, stick a set of 4 roller coaster seats on it, and put it on a slow moving track. And while it moves, that robotic arm is flailing you around in all directions as you go through the attraction. Here's a picture of it:

fj_benches5.jpg

Escape from Gringotts is more of a traditional roller coaster car that sits on roller coaster tracks, but I wouldn't really consider the ride a roller coaster. There is one minor drop at the beginning, but the car makes frequent stops in front of big projection screens so story elements can play out, and the car can rotate/tilt as it goes through the ride.

Forbidden Journey does tilt you onto your back briefly at one point. If you are prone to motion sickness you may not be able to ride it.

Hagrid’s doesn’t go upside down but it is in my opinion much rougher than Big Thunder Mountain. Lots of sudden stops, accelerations, jerky- it gave me a headache so I won’t be doing it again.

I think Big Thunder is very jerky and has a very hard sudden stop at the end. To me, Hagrid's is much smoother (and much faster) and I don't remember sudden stops or jerky at all in the 5 or 6 times I have ridden it. I would agree it is not for the OP, although Gringott's should be fine.

Forbidden Journey is going to be a problem if you have motion sickness, otherwise it isn't scary (disclaimer, for "most" adults) or a coaster.

Gringotts is maybe a little more intense than BTMR but not at all like Space Mountain or Everest. As long as BTMR is not bad for you, you will be fine on Gringotts. I believe they both have the same height requirement if that helps. Little(ish) kids qualify to ride Gringotts.

Forbidden Journey made me sick (I have vertigo issues anyway). There are many times you're being tossed about and spun around.
Gringotts will lock your legs in place and that can be a problem for some riders, especially tall ones. I think it's more like Indiana Jones at Disneyland as far as how the ride is a "coaster."

I get motion sickness on many simulator rides and have to occasionally close my eyes on FJ during the parts in front of a screen. Love the other parts though! I have zero problems with real rides! Be brave- pop some non drowsy motion sickness meds before your trip and try the rides!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter