Has anyone taken Halcion before dental work?

missypie

<font color=red>Has an outlet for romance<br><font
I'm a horrible dentistry-phobic. A tooth cracked and of course, that led to pcitures that showed other cracked teeth, etc. etc....I've had three appiontments in the last month. After the last one, I got in my car and sobbed for 20 minutes because the sense of assault and invasion was so strong.

ANYWAY, my dentist is actually very sweet (too bad I have to hate him) and the next appointment (to do the other side of mouth) will be under the influence of Halcion.

It scares me to death...they say you can't remember the dental work...but you still have to go through it at the time. (Freaking out here.)

ANYWAY, my question is, for how long afterwards will I be insanely loopy? I am to take the pill at 6:45 am for a 7:45 appointment. Will I be functional again by, say, 6 pm?

I am not quite sure what Halcion is. I had gum surgery last month and got a A valium type pill before the procedure. It was my first time and I did not know what to expect.I took the pill 30 minutes before my appt. The dentist said some people dont remember things when they take it. It wasnt valium but like it. ANyways, I was relaxed, but not totally, if that makes sense. I was aware of everything that was going on. I sorta became fuzzy on things actually when the procedure was over and I was waiting for myhusband to come pick me up. The next couple of hrs were fuzzy for me. I dont know if that is what the pill is suppose to do or not. But, I was functional by late afternoon, in pain, but functional.

As a hospital nurse, we used to use halcion a lot as a sleeping aid, but honestly we haven't used it in a number of years. I would be concerned about driving to and from the dentists office under the effects of halcion since it is a sleeping pill.

Here is an article I found for you - they seem to be calling this "oral conscious sedation" which is very concerning in a dentist's office and not in the controlled setting of a hospital (if you needed to be intubated or resuscitated for an adverse reaction). According to the article, they haven't seen any problems with adults before, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the first. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5446489/

I sympathize with your fear of dentists. But personally, I'd try to find a safer route to effective dentistry. Off the top of my head, I don't know what other options you have. But maybe someone here might know. Is there somewhere like a hosptial setting that does dentistry under anasthesia or intravenous conscious sedation? What about gas - is that still being used? I remember having that myself as a kid.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :wizard:

That is the same thing they gave me when I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I was told not to drive myself to the office and to have someone there to take me home because it is not save to drive while on this medication.

The dentist said that taking it was kind of like being drunk. He said I would be aware of what was going on kind-of and I would be awake enough to open my mouth wider, etc.. if needed. He said it would really make me not care what they were doing.

Well I did feel loopy but I have to say that I most certainly DID still care about what they were doing and it was not a great feeling. That was the last time I tried something like that. The next time I needed any major dental work I went to an oral surgeon and they put me out. That was a MUCH better experience for me.

I have a major dental phobia too. I mean, crying and shaking and panic attacks, the whole 9 yards. I had to have a crown and they gave me a Halcion to take the night before and then gave me one at the office that morning. I took the one that night, and I swear I didn't feel like it had done anything. I was really concerned. The next morning I called the dentist office when they opened and told them the pill didn't do anything for me and I would need something stronger to have the work done. They told me I would be fine, that when I took the second pill it would be ok. I didn't believe them. But I went and arrived 30 min before they were supposed to start on me and they gave me the second pill. Amazingly, it worked. I bet he worked on me for a solid hour and I had no problem with it whatsoever. No crying or anything. I don't remember feeling super relaxed or anything, I just remember being absolutely OKAY with him working on me. It was weird, but it worked. I really don't think you should drive afterwards, best you have a driver. Good Luck, I know what you are going thru, I promise!

About mid-March I posted a thread asking for more information on Halcion, (I think the thread was called "premedicating before a dental procedure", or something like that), that perhaps you could do a search on and locate.

My daughter, 15, had her wisdom teeth removed and the oral surgeon recommended giving her one Halcion pill the night before the procedure and another one the next morning, an hour before the procedure. The oral surgeon thought it would help ease her anxiety about the extractions, even though she was going to have general anesthesia and would be out completely for the procedure.

I asked on here for more information because I wasn't familiar with Halcion and I also researched it myself on the internet and asked the pharmacist about it. Halcion is in the family of sleeping aids/pills. After researching Halcion and getting more information on it, I chose not to give it to my daughter. There was just too much conflicting information about it, especially concerning kids her age. I just wasn't comfortable giving it to her. She was nervous about the IV, but she was out within a matter of minutes. It took her a long time to come out of recovery, so I was glad I didn't compound things by giving her the Halcion.

Yes, I had the IV sedation by an oral surgeon when I had a wisdom tooth pulled. That was terrific. This is just for general dentistry, but a lot of it (maybe 4 or 5 hours). I am to take two pills 45 minutes before my appointment. And yes, they insist that someone be there to drive me home.

I had gas with the last three appointments, but the last time it didn't do much. There is a very fine line between too much (room spinning and heart racing) and not enough.

I guess I still need to know how long I can expect the Halcion to be in my system. My DD's choir concert is that night and it would be nice if I was aware of it when I was there!

I guess I still need to know how long I can expect the Halcion to be in my system.
That seems to be the issue with the halcion, is that nobody can predict with certainty how any one individual will respond to it. My guess is that if you stick to just two pills (and they don't need to give you more), depending on the dosage of those 2 pills (.125 mg vs. .25 mg each) as well as the time of your appointment, you will be ok for the nighttime concert, but you may be a bit tired or groggy. If I were you and it's (hopefully) a morning appointment, I would plan on coming home from the dentist and going to bed for a while. :goodvibes Then you can wake up and go to the concert.

Let us know how this works out for you, will you? It's an interesting topic, I'd never heard of it before, but I spent a while researching it on the internet yesterday. It seems there is controversy about this practice within the American Dental Association, and in fact they have some upcoming national seminars to discuss it. I'm going to ask my own dentist her thoughts on it. At any rate, it looks like we'll be hearing more about it in the future. :teacher:

DH is of the school of thought that is not terribly in favor of the current trend for Halcion use in the general dentist's office. He refers cases that have a need for anxiety control beyond Nitrous or a mild dose of Valium to the oral surgeon - better training, monitoring, etc. Better to have some one who has done an oral surgery residency than someone who just went to a couple of commercial weekend courses.

It is my understanding that the reason the some dentists are using Halcion is that it does have a shorter half-life than Valium - about 2 hours or so. Oral surgeons do use it too in some circumstance, so it is not the drug itself that dh has a problem with, just the appropriate & cautious use of sedation.

So, they may have to have you take more if you are having a long procedure done, but you should not be still loopy for your dd's event.

I would LOVE to be totally knocked out for all dentistry. I couldn't believe it last time that once the dentist was done with me and the hygenist took me for cleaning, I could no longer have gas. I REALLY feel that dentistry is assault...every time I go it's worse...it's not pain - my guy is really good at making it pain free - it's just a sense of total personal invasion.

I was under the impression that Halcion was taken off the market??? :confused3 Guess I was wrong!

It was prescribed for me back in high school (was it really almost 20 yrs ago :faint: ) for severe insomnia. I think I would prefer Valium or Xanex for anxiety.

OOooopps - so sorry. It is Haldol that is being so frequently used now by the "oral conscious sedation" dentists. Halcion is a different drug. Sorry OP -the information I was referring to was for Haldol, I am really not familiar with Halcion.

rascalmom said:
OOooopps - so sorry. It is Haldol that is being so frequently used now by the "oral conscious sedation" dentists. Halcion is a different drug. Sorry OP -the information I was referring to was for Haldol, I am really not familiar with Halcion.

Yeah, it would be a cold, cold day in hell before I ever took Haldol or suggested it to a patient!!! :eek: :eek: Before I went to Hygiene school, I completed my BSN and remember that horrible drug from Psychiatric Nursing.....

To the OP, I definitely think your feeling of "invasion" from dentistry is something that needs to be addressed....maybe some therapy is in order. I don't know how you manage to go to the OBGYN!!!! :scared1:

I have used the halcion 3 times and loved it. I am absolutely terrified of the dentist(I can deal with needles anywhere but my mouth and around my eyes) and when I began to hear of sedation dentistry I took full advantage of it.
The office called in the prescription for me the night before, and I would pick it up the morning of my appt., to take it about an hour before. i was told to have someone drive me there and back. Within about 20 minutes of taking it, I was feeling pretty fine...it is sort of like being drunk, as another poster mentioned. The first time, I was worried because I was told I'd know what was going on but wouldn't remember it. This scared me...I didn't want to feel anything or know anything while it was happening! Well, I believe it worked on me as it was intended to. I was very sleepy when I sat in the chair and I beleive I ended up being half asleep thru every procedure. I do have slight memories of being worked on and even once of a being given a shot...the funny thing is it didn't matter and I don't remember it really hurting. After my appt., I went home and slept it off and I'd say I was back to normal within about 3-4 hours of leaving the office. I now have no problems having anything done because this stuff is great! My teeth would probably fall out if it weren't for this stuff.

tiggersmom2 said:
Yeah, it would be a cold, cold day in hell before I ever took Haldol or suggested it to a patient!!! :eek: :eek: Before I went to Hygiene school, I completed my BSN and remember that horrible drug from Psychiatric Nursing.....

To the OP, I definitely think your feeling of "invasion" from dentistry is something that needs to be addressed....maybe some therapy is in order. I don't know how you manage to go to the OBGYN!!!! :scared1:

I don't know about the OP, but the OBGYN is not an issue with me. The dentist is a whole other story. I'd go see the OBGYN everyday if it meant I could evade the dentist's chair.

I know you deal with anxious people every day in your profession. I just wonder if you know who fearful some people really are of you?! :rotfl:

OP, I took xanax and used gas during several long drawn out appointments. It really helped.

My dentist has never caused me pain & needles don't bother me. I have a hundred other issues with them though! I think my biggest is when you have to have an impression made. We can send a man to the moon and we can't make impressions any more pleasant? Tiggersmom, you should work on this and become a millionaire! :banana:

Buckalew11 said:
I don't know about the OP, but the OBGYN is not an issue with me. The dentist is a whole other story. I'd go see the OBGYN everyday if it meant I could evade the dentist's chair.

I know you deal with anxious people every day in your profession. I just wonder if you know who fearful some people really are of you?! :rotfl:

OP, I took xanax and used gas during several long drawn out appointments. It really helped.

My dentist has never caused me pain & needles don't bother me. I have a hundred other issues with them though! I think my biggest is when you have to have an impression made. We can send a man to the moon and we can't make impressions any more pleasant? Tiggersmom, you should work on this and become a millionaire! :banana:

LOL....having those impressions made is HORRIBLE!!! That stuff feels like it is going to choke you! :scared1:

I do understand dental anxiety and we are a "chickens are catered to practice" :teeth: However, I think the extreme anxiety the OP is feeling is beyond normal and is in fact a phobia....way, way beyond the norm. No one should feel "assaulted" or "invaded" :guilty:

You're laying back, and there are four hands...IN YOUR MOUTH! They pull and they drill and then they put stuff in your mouth that makes you not be able to open your mouth (impressions). They come back, they scrape, they prod...and that is not invasion? I, too, would go to my GYN any day before the dentist.

I admit that I hate sitting and having anything done to me...haircut, manicure, eye doctor, etc.. It's the lack of control..HAVING to be there while something is done. Not too far from torture in my mind. But the dentist is absolutely the worst.

Also, the last appointment (after which I sobbed) lasted about three hours....I had two crowns, then had my teeth cleaned. It was all way too much for me to handle. How can anyone not feel invaded when four hands have been pulling and stretching their mouth for three hours?

missypie said:
You're laying back, and there are four hands...IN YOUR MOUTH! They pull and they drill and then they put stuff in your mouth that makes you not be able to open your mouth (impressions). They come back, they scrape, they prod...and that is not invasion? I, too, would go to my GYN any day before the dentist.

I admit that I hate sitting and having anything done to me...haircut, manicure, eye doctor, etc.. It's the lack of control..HAVING to be there while something is done. Not too far from torture in my mind. But the dentist is absolutely the worst.

Also, the last appointment (after which I sobbed) lasted about three hours....I had two crowns, then had my teeth cleaned. It was all way too much for me to handle. How can anyone not feel invaded when four hands have been pulling and stretching their mouth for three hours?

I am not trying to minimize your fear....it must be horrible for you. :grouphug: I will say, as a dental professional I have never come across this and I can tell you that it is outside of the norm. I do think you have a phobia (such as fear of social situations, spiders, etc) and a therapist could probably do wonders.

Hugs sweetie....I would never want anyone to feel that way when I was cleaning their teeth. :guilty:

Halcion is the only reason I was able to have dental work done. I hadn't been to the dentist in over ten years. I tried to go once about five years ago because my teeth really hurt. They put me in the exam room, took the xrays, went to get them developed and I run out the back door and didn't go back. I have a panic attack disorder and the dentist really made me panic. But my teeth were getting really bad and I was in a lot of pain. I talked to a friend who's wife had been to a certain dentist and had taken halcion. His expirience gave me the courage to go to the dentist.

I had to have three cavities filled and two teeth pulled completely. That took two visits. The dentist gave me three Halcion (I'm a big girl) and all I remember from the first and second visits is walking in the front door. I still needed the nitrous to deal with the panic attachs but the halcion helped me to get to the office in the first place.

The only issue I've had is that you CAN NOT drive yourself and someone needs to stay with you for the rest of the day. For me it takes at least ten to twelve hours to wear off. You will appear to be awake and you will even talk to people, but you're not and you won't really remember anything from the day you are on the Halcion.

Funny story: Last time I had an early morning appt. My husband brought me home and waited with me until the late afternoon. He then had to go out of town for work so he left me home alone. He said I was awake and talking normally so he thought it was fine. I don't remember him leaving nor do I remember being online, but I must have been because a couple of days later some items started arriving via UPS and USPS. I had apparently been hungry because orders arrived from both Schwans and Impromtu Gourmet. I guess I was also bored because a package arrived from Amazon.com with the complete third season of Gilligan's Island on DVD. I'm still pretty sure I'm the only person ever to order that item -LOL. I also got some new clothes from a couple of different companies. Lesson of the story - make sure someone is watching over you to make sure you and your credit cards are safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!